Thread: Ride Height Difference.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ride Height Difference.

Hey guys quick question. I just recently switched over my suspension from hotchkis front coils to a belltech front coils setup and rear leaf spring. My issue is that both times my front passenger side ride height has been a litter taller than the drivers side. Whats up with that? Did i do something wrong? The difference is about a 1/2 inch to a 1/4 inch. Anyone with input would be very helpful. I made sure everything on both sides was identical. ( Torque specs, rubber isolater, camber, etc.) Can we cut a little off of the passengers side coil to compensate for the difference to level it out? Anyone with this experience please chime in. Thanks.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I'd be willing to bet a "dollar-to-a-dime" that almost every single truck out there is not exactly the same from corner-to-corner/side-to-side/front-to-back. If you got it within .25"-.5" then you did it correctly for sure.

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    All the trucks have the difference you described, and I am pretty sure it is supposed to be like that because or the way the roads are, they are paved unlevel so the rain flows to the sides.
    It bugs you, me, and a million of other people, it has been talked a lot in previous threads.

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Just verify that the coil springs are seated properly in the pockets of the control arms. If so, then chalk it up to what was said above.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have about a 1/2" to 1/4" difference from passengers side to drivers side. Can't we cut like 1/4 coil to level things all around?
    6 lb lower, 2.83 upper, JLP airbox, Ported Blower, Maggy Catback, *** oil seperator, Belltech Front coils rear Leafs, Bilstiens all around, 22" Boss 335, Full audio.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002DSG305 View Post
    Can't we cut like 1/4 coil to level things all around?
    Sure could do that to determine if it works left-to-right in the front on your particular truck! After doing so? ... may want to check front-to back! LoL!
    Last edited by '02 H-D #677; 05-05-2010 at 03:15 AM.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    1/4 coil may drop it around 1/2". Usually 1/2 coil equals 1".

I'd be leary of cutting the coil though. Try parking in the same spot but backing in. I bet you'll find you get different measurements. The trucks are nearly 20 foot long boats, there's a lot of flex and unless its on a 100% dead flat surface, there will be variances in the wheel wells. 1/4" is nothing! Heck a passenger sitting in the truck, or a tank of gas can cause it to shift corners slightly like that.