Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bilstein shocks

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 03_HD_F150SC View Post
    I believe the regular ones are designated Heavy Duty (HD) Shocks and the L Spec's are designated Lightning Sport Shocks. There is also the Bilstein HPS 1000's which is supposed to be designed with Hotchkis Performance in mind, but also optimized to give a more comfortable ride than their sport shock. To me with the HPS 1000's you trade off some sport handling, control and cornering for a more comfortable and smoother ride. So basically Bilstein allows you to choose your own poison, so to speak, based on your preferred style of driving.
    Much Thanks My Fine Friend...

So if I understand properly, the L Spec is right where all of us want to be, not too soft, yet not too firm!!! In other words a sporty controlled handling ride!
    Thanks...Jim

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny".

~ Thomas Jefferson

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    L specs are the firmest bilsteins. screw spec are a little softer.

120k on stock shocks? you'll be amazed when you pull one off and feel how easily it collapses. They suck with zero miles on them, let alone 120k!

Name: Mat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I installed the L spec bilsteins since I got my truck in January amongst other upgrades and love them. When I first got the truck it floated like a Caddy really bad and I couldn't stand it. I think I have taken it a lil to far now for the handling but the shocks were early on and one of the best upgrade I did.

Boost Addict
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Im getting the L Spec Bilsteins ASAP. I had the Nitro Drop 2's. They felt amazing when I first installed them. The truck sat for 4 months over the summer, and after I drove it the other day it feels like the stock shocks again...

Lucky my cost was under $100 for a full set.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigricci View Post
    I too have been doing research into changing my stock shocks (120k) which still ride OK.
    120K on stock shocks! ... what kind of "research" have you been doing? You really think they "still ride OK"?!!!! If that is the case, then I suggest you save a bunch of $ and simply keep the stock shocks on the truck until it reaches at least 200K miles before changing them out!!!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey Guys,

I got the truck in August with 108k on it and have been restoring/upgrading since. I assume these are stock shocks as they look factory . I am ordering the L Spec Bilsteins next week...thank God! Will be installing while I install the Addco Rear Sway Bar along with upgrading the front bushings to new Energy Suspension units! Should be a much nicer handling ride.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    New Bilsteins are here!!! Will install next week when I ever get the Addco Rear Sway Bar. Plan on taking step by step photos to share for anyone who needs guidance.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by '02 H-D #677 View Post
    120K on stock shocks! ... what kind of "research" have you been doing? You really think they "still ride OK"?!!!! If that is the case, then I suggest you save a bunch of $ and simply keep the stock shocks on the truck until it reaches at least 200K miles before changing them out!!!
    Ok Guys,

Got the new Bilstein L Spec's on today and yes my shocks where the original Motorcraft Shocks with an actual 123k miles on them. Worked Ok for standard ride but needed the L's to spruce up the ride and they sure did. Boy what a pain they were to take out from the front coils as it was damn near impossible to free the top nut from the spinning shock but finally prevailed.

Also installed the Addco Rear Sway Bar along with upgrading the front L Spec Sway Bar with Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushings. What a difference in the handling of the truck...WOW!

Next onto the LFP Valve Body!

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    you can stick an open end wrench just under the top of the spring perch, at the top of the shock, and that locks the shock in place from spinning while you undo the top nut.

123k on stockers shows some patience though! lol Those things are dead by like 20k haha

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    you can stick an open end wrench just under the top of the spring perch, at the top of the shock, and that locks the shock in place from spinning while you undo the top nut.

123k on stockers shows some patience though! lol Those things are dead by like 20k haha
    Josh,

Yes you are correct as I found the nut on the top of the shock (of course after I struggled with the first one)! I am the third owner of this truck and cannot believe the others never changed out any of these stock parts for more performance ones!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2