Thread: Lightning front brake upgrade

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts

Lightning front brake upgrade

I'd like to get this done ASAP on my truck, the rotors are warped (getting a strong pulsing vibration when braking softly that shakes the whole truck!) and if I'm going to spend money on new brake parts I'd like to upgrade - that's how my 89 mustang ended up with 2004 cobra brakes all around, and same with my 97 mustang - hah!

So I found the calipers with brackets and hardware/pads from napa for about $90/ea which is pretty reasonable.
    -
    http://www.napaautoparts.com/Search/...+59999+2999999

these are listed for -
    Application Information: 2004 Ford Truck F150 1/2 Ton - Pickup
    Submodel : Lightning
    Comments: OE Phenolic Piston;Semi-Metallic Pads

Submodel : Heritage XLT
    Comments: w/ 7,700 lb GVW;OE Phenolic Piston;Semi-Metallic Pads

Submodel : Heritage XL
    Comments: w/ 7,700 lb GVW;OE Phenolic Piston;Semi-Metallic Pads

Do I need anything else to complete this swap? Can I turn/reuse my stock rotors? I'll probably purchase SS braided brake hoses since I'll need to bleed/flush the brake fluid anyways - do I get them for a normal F150 or for a lightning, is the mating line on the truck the same thread as the lightning would be? What about the banjo bolts on the calipers from the hoses?

HD4595
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I believe the L's use a larger rotor than the HD. Your not really going to gain much braking difference I don't believe with the swap your talking about.

More so with Wilwood, Brembo, etc, but not with the L setup.

May want to get some new lines while your at it and maybe some line locks if you even need them depending on what you do with your truck.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    according to Napa the rotors are both 12.13" diameter 5 lug, but I'd like to confirm this.

Store Locator | NAPA Online
    (2004 f150 N/A aka base rotors)

Store Locator | NAPA Online
    (2004 f150 supercharged aka lightning rotors)

comparison is a little confusing, the skinnier base rotors should work fine though seeing as all the other dimensions other than starting thickness are the same? -
    http://www.napaautoparts.com/Search/...84_0236626887+
    Last edited by Blind; 05-28-2010 at 04:45 PM.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I believe just the thickness is larger. Not sure about mixing and matching with them

for the SS brake lines, you want to order them specifically for a harley truck as our rear hard line is setup differently. Ours gets fed at the drivers side of the axle, where L's get fed at the top of the pumpkin. The Bonaco kits all feed at the top of the pumpkin, but the HD kit would require a longer 5th flex line to reach from the drivers side to the center of the rear hard lines, where the L kit has a shorter 5th flex line.