Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Harley Truck Haven! Garage Renovation Progress Thread!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would be so lost without the shop, 2500 sf with dyno, lift and tons of tools and such. I could never go back to a single or even double car garage again..

Josh, I'm sure it will be the envy of many people when its done. You always seem to impress me with your work..

Always working
    Name: Big John

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The stores

:[/QUOTE]

Dude! Is that a Cougar Eliminator?!

The bedliner thing is getting popular with people who have basements that leak too. Makes it water tight. Ive even seen it on pool decks.

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    just took this pic of the ****ty 2 part epoxy,

Here is what it looks like with the truck parked away,

I need a Bench and some cabinets. any ideas?

Over The Pond
    Name:

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TX Harley Guy View Post
    Dude! Is that a Cougar Eliminator?!
    Yes, that's my old Cougar. I don't have it anymore. My wife didn't like it.

Some memories.

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Congrats Josh...welcome to home ownership and all that comes with it!!!

Can't wait to see what comes out of this buildup as I know it will be one hell of a job

Quote Originally Posted by SonicHD View Post
    ... But it SCREAMS like a raped monkey at wot

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairTruck View Post
    just took this pic of the ****ty 2 part epoxy,

I need a Bench and some cabinets. any ideas?
    Unfortunately, whoever installed the epoxy floor covering did not properly acid-etch the existing concrete and let it de-gas before applying the coating. What has occurred with your floor is due to incorrect preparation. Even the cheapie epoxy stuff people buy at Home Depot works pretty good with proper concrete prep. The best stuff is made by ICI (International Coatings) and is made specifically for large commercial factory floors. It is very expensive but I happen to score a bunch of 5 gallon units (3-parts/unit) from The Boeing Co. surplus operations for about 20 cents on-the-dollar.

Best and least expensive shelving is commercial grade steel that can be had locally (I'm sure) from salvage sales. As far as cabinets, I installed simple Gladiator in the garage and Hercke stainless in the shop. Best workbench is one that has the top done in half steel-top and half done with very thick laminated hard-wood top.

Name:

Quote Originally Posted by '02 H-D #677 View Post
    Unfortunately, whoever installed the epoxy floor covering did not properly acid-etch the existing concrete and let it de-gas before applying the coating. What has occurred with your floor is due to incorrect preparation. Even the cheapie epoxy stuff people buy at Home Depot works pretty good with proper concrete prep. The best stuff is made by ICI (International Coatings) and is made specifically for large commercial factory floors. It is very expensive but I happen to score a bunch of 5 gallon units (3-parts/unit) from The Boeing Co. surplus operations for about 20 cents on-the-dollar.

Best and least expensive shelving is commercial grade steel that can be had locally (I'm sure) from salvage sales. As far as cabinets, I installed simple Gladiator in the garage and Hercke stainless in the shop. Best workbench is one that has the top done in half steel-top and half done with very thick laminated hard-wood top.
    pad was cleaned with soap and water let dry . then used the acid crap that came in the kit and after washing it off let it sit a few days before i put the coating on. I did more then the average person would do.
    It was the bear crap from Home depot. My research has led me to this. Next time if i ever epoxy again it will be the 3 stage stuff with a clear coat over the top

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    It was the bear crap from Home depot. My research has led me to this. Next time if i ever epoxy again it will be the 3 stage stuff with a clear coat over the top
    For sure!

2002 HD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the best way to prep a concrete floor before the floor expoxy is to rent a square deck sander from home depot with 8 or 12 grit paper. it scuffs and opens all the pores in the concrete! then go aheady with the acid etching.
    also you need a baramoter to measure humidity.
    i belevie its suppose to be between 70-80 or so on the guage!
    mine works out mint
    i have even spun the tires several times pulling in and out and it has never come up

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Wink

Congrats on the house and well done on the garage.

You might want to reconsider closing in the stud walls. You'll lose about 5 inches on either side (10" total). You can paint the back side of those wals with insulating paint and it leaves room to hang stuff in between them or add short shelves for nut & bolt jars or paint cans. If you want to hide all that stuff just add sliding or swinging doors to the studs.

Name:

Quote Originally Posted by cayman150 View Post
    Congrats on the house and well done on the garage.

You might want to reconsider closing in the stud walls. You'll lose about 5 inches on either side (10" total). You can paint the back side of those wals with insulating paint and it leaves room to hang stuff in between them or add short shelves for nut & bolt jars or paint cans. If you want to hide all that stuff just add sliding or swinging doors to the studs.
    might work in the cayman islands. but it gets cold in the winter and insulated is a must

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    might work in the cayman islands. but it gets cold in the winter and insulated is a must
    It doesn't look like the people who lived there before had it insulated and they must have survived. I guess it depends on whether you want the extra space or not. The insulating paint works real well down here to keep the heat out and the A/C in so I would think it would do the opposite too or maybe there is another special kind for up north.

Name:

It doesn't look like the people who lived there before had it insulated and they must have survived. I guess it depends on whether you want the extra space or not. The insulating paint works real well down here to keep the heat out and the A/C in so I would think it would do the opposite too or maybe there is another special kind for up north.
    im sure josh will be spending plenty of time in his garage, more then the average person

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by '02HD#3982 View Post
    Garage coolin'?Remember,,,,its NOT patented.

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/lounge/...ir-please.html
    haha that was on my mind the entire time when I was thinking of what to do in the garage! For now they're just going up plain so I can get it done, but thats something I'll fiddle with over the winter for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I think I've posted these before in some other thread but here's my set up again.
    ah I love shiny race wheels mounted up on the wall

Reminds me too, I need to make sure I have a spot for a vice! I'm tired of fabbing stuff up with one of those cheap clamp-on vices screwed to the picnic table

Quote Originally Posted by cbrf150 View Post
    I would be so lost without the shop, 2500 sf with dyno, lift and tons of tools and such. I could never go back to a single or even double car garage again..

Josh, I'm sure it will be the envy of many people when its done. You always seem to impress me with your work..
    2500 sf shop..... someday!

recommendations on a brand?

Quote Originally Posted by jonolds72 View Post
    the best way to prep a concrete floor before the floor expoxy is to rent a square deck sander from home depot with 8 or 12 grit paper. it scuffs and opens all the pores in the concrete! then go aheady with the acid etching.
    also you need a baramoter to measure humidity.
    i belevie its suppose to be between 70-80 or so on the guage!
    mine works out mint
    i have even spun the tires several times pulling in and out and it has never come up
    Got any more details on that? Any other steps in the prep? I'll be renting one of those square floor sanders with the four circular discs for refinishing the hardwoods in a few rooms. It's only 2 rooms so I could also do the garage with it in the same day if thats a good step for the prep on the floor with epoxy coating. Lemme know!

Few issues with that. One, we don't plan on being there forever (5-7 years, then onto a place with a bigger yard, and room for a SHOP, and BIGGER garage) and by law since its an attached garage, the wall between the house and garage must be a firewall, so insulation and sheetrock must be there. Also, studs are 2x4's, so its only 3.5" per side. With 1/2" sheetrock, I'd only gain 4" each side in depth, and while 8" total sounds like a lot, its not a lot of usable space. The truck can't be parked 8" over further, cabinets can't be 8" further away, they can still only sit up against the studs. All I'd gain is 1" total from not having sheetrock up. The only useable space gained is for stuff stuck back in between the 16" centers of the studs, and I'm uber picky and organized, jars of nuts and bolts doesn't exist in my vocabulary LOL!

And yeah up here it gets frigid in the winters, and sweltering hot in the summer. Definitely need the insulation! The insulation paint won't do nearly enough. And I've had my fair share of working in shops with no insulation and just a torpedo heater. Finally I'll be able to wrench and detail in comfort all year round lol. The garage door is already an insulated door with real nice weather stripping, so I could actually just leave the door between the garage and house open in the summer with a box fan in the door way to blow some cool A/C air into the garage and turn the ceiling fans on, and for the winter, I'm adding a 10' electric baseboard heater along the one wall. Should be enough to take the chill off and keep it above freezing in there. Electric BB isn't the greatest, but just the one won't be bad, and having the electrician run a 220v line for it when he does the wiring for my lights and fans and outlets so I'll be all set to go!

im sure josh will be spending plenty of time in his garage, more then the average person
    lol you know it! I may break the record for the most coats of zaino on a vehicle. I'll actually be able to just walk into the garage, to a clean truck, every day, and slap a coat of zaino on it whenever I want, and not worry about it being dark out, or baking in the sun, or in the rain, or snow, or heat, or cold, or pollen, or wind, man I can't wait! lol

2002 HD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    heres the steps i followed.
    it took 2-3 hours to sand the floor with the deck sander. started with 6 or 8 grit paper (12X12 inch square paper) then went to 12.
    i kept sanding untill all the exsiting crap (if any was gone)
    then i scrupped it with lots of purple power degraser.
    let it dry for a few hours then wash it down with a solvent and let it dry for a day or so.
    then apply first coat or paint (as long as its not humid out or the concrete will sweat) let paint dry for 24 hours and do a seccond coat and add the sprinkles while the paint wet.
    the product was made by rust oleum. garage floor expoxy. it comes with sprinkles
    i bought 2 kits for a 14X22 foot area
    it is still holding up mint, no peeling, i back it with hot tires and it doesnt come up.(even hot mickey thomson et street slicks on my cutlass)

Home Hardware

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast