Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Harley Truck Haven! Garage Renovation Progress Thread!

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    Nice size for a project!

jonolds72, I'm rethinking using the sander for the epoxy after doing some research on them. If the prep is done well enough with degreaser and the prep chemicals, it seems the rougher texture of the concrete would be a better surface for the 2 part epoxy to adhere to than a smooth one. And from what I've read the bond-lock stuff by Quikrete makes quite the fizzy reaction with any grease or stains and does an awesome job of cleaning up the floor.
    are you getting a tinted one, i have been thinking maybe the idiots at home depot messed mine up when tinting the colour

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 02HD9294 View Post
    A bit of a rougher texture is better for epoxy to adhere for sure.

I have a few oil spots on the floor that I'd like to clean up. Does this product take them out or just neutralize the stain?

I've started looking at the diamond plate rubber tiles for the whole floor. What product are you looking at?
    From what I've read and seen in pics, the Quikrete bond lock removes them. It fizzes up on any oil spots and lifts it to the surface then you wash it away. The kit comes with like a 1 quart concentrate good for a gallon of solution mixed, but guys were saying they bought several gallons of it and did the bond-lock process 4 or 5 times to really really make sure it was spotless. I think thats the route I'll take.

I'm definitely going with the quikrete floor 2 part epoxy, not sure on runners yet. Home Depot had some nice self stick diamond plate runners (12" wide by 36" long), but I haven't really looked into anything else yet.

Quote Originally Posted by HD4595 View Post
    Man I feel for you guys that only have 1 car garages for options on housing. I can't live without anything smaller than a 3 car garage down here in TX. Most have 2 plus but in the newer neighborhoods you are seeing more and more 4 car options or dual 2 car setups.
    sure just rub it in lol. We've got some of the best 1/4 mile tracks in the country, so take that! lol

Quote Originally Posted by BlairTruck View Post
    are you getting a tinted one, i have been thinking maybe the idiots at home depot messed mine up when tinting the colour
    yeah they only have gray and beige already colored. I really don't want either. The midnight blue i want is a tinted one. But really the tinting should be computer controlled. They punch in the color code, it spits out so much coloring in the paint and then they shake it up. Not like the old days of the hand operated levers to squirt in so much coloring lol

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Josh,

The "bond-lock" stuff for concrete is nothing more than muratic acid (check the label for ingredients). You can save a whole bunch of cash by simply getting muratic acid in gallon jugs and diluting it to prescribed mix. All this process does is "acid-etch" the old cured surface of the concrete. It essentially removes a very thin amount of the concrete surface and leaves a new/"raw" concrete surface for better adhesion of the epoxy coating. Acid-etching is critical to ensuring an even-colored and durable floor surface.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    searching into it, guys have used both, muratic acid, and the bond-lock, and gotten different results out of using both products. General concensus seems to be the bond-lock works the best and is all you really need.

Anyway, update for the last couple weeks, we moved in last weekend. Got the shed moved from the rental to the new house (went surprisngly smooth lol), got the pool torn down, got the hardwood floors sanded, stained, and polyurethaned (what a ROYAL PITA!), and currently finishing up the misc stuff in the bedrooms, living room, kitchen, and bathroom, then I can move onto the garage project.

The shower has been a nightmare. I'm not new to home remodeling by a long shot, I grew up working with my dad doing this stuff every weekend and every summer of my life, and I've never had a bathroom be this much of a PITA haha. One of my buddys with a L is a plumber and even did all the plumbing work for me, and it was even giving him trouble

And we bought all top of the line Moen fixtures, and so far the moen diverter leaked, the moen spicket leaked, the moen tub drain leaked, and all the while we've been trying to trace where the frig my shower doors are leaking from. Its to the point everyones been stumped, positive we fixed it, then nope, still dripping from somewhere, so I finally yanked a kitchen cabinet and busted a hole in the wall in the kitchen since its on the other side of the bathroom, so we could track down any leaking from behind the wall. I've lost a full week f'ing with this stupid bathroom now lol

Oh, and my front door I replaced a few weeks ago that I bought from Home Depot for $299, they had a special batch of doors come in, 99.9999% identical to mine just one slight extra line in the glass pattern, for $179, then I saw it marked down to $97 on thusday. I went back today to buy it and just return it with the reciept from the $299 door and it was already sold F'ing home depot! lol

Anyway, hopefully *knock on wood* we can get the f'ing leaks done with this weekend, then I can finally move onto the garage project by the end of this week.

Oh, and I gotta buy a lawn mower...unfortunately the drout ended and now my yard is a jungle lol

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    josh in the meantime you can borrow my mower and weed whacker.

moving that shed was fun lol! went surprisingly smooth! i need to come by and tear that swing set down. now that your there for good it should be easier.

oh kick leaky luigi in the balls. tell him to stop dealing drugs out the baileys truck and learn to do the job right th efirst time lol

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    haha had to rip the shower doors out on Friday. Hopefully can put them back in today.

Hasn't been the best week. Thought I'd have an easy day off yesterday taking a break from the house and fiddling with the truck instead. Washed it and did an oil change, but discovered my alignment fell out of wack and my drivers front tire is BALD on the inner edge with only 8k miles on it. Hopefully after I get my tune adjusted on the 20th I can swing by the alignment shop afterwards. I'm about to yank the coils and toss in spindles

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Wow haven't updated this in a while!

Trucks fixed. JL tweaked my tune and Ideal tweaked my alignment. My drivers front was 1* out on camber somehow, so they fixed that side and it was good to go.

Bathrooms done, leaks are finally fixed *knock on wood* lol, upstairs 3 bedrooms are done, 2 bedrooms hallway & steps are carpeted, kitchens done, living rooms done. All thats left is the den, foyer, my HD room is in progress, and the garage is in progress.

GARAGE UPDATES! Been chugging along! 8x12' loft is built, hoist for lifting my tonneau is installed. Walls are insulated with R-13, ceiling is insulated with R-30 below the loft floor and R-45 where there's no loft, everything is sheetrocked, electric is all ran, I'm going to mud & tape, sand, & paint over this weekend. Ordered my racedeck flooring yesterday too (NICE discount by being a garagejournal member). So in another 2 weeks the garage should be pretty much done for the most part.

Goodies for the garage....lowes cabinets, four 8' dual lamp fluorescents, 2 ceiling fans

Lots o' insulation! Should get nice and toasty and nice and cool in here

Hoist for lifting my tonneau off

Started tinting the garage windows, its only 1 layer, I need to add a 2nd still..

Left one tinted, right not. Going darker still

Decent sized loft for truck part storage...8'x12'

R30 insulation between the ceiling and loft floor, I had extra so I split it and added it on top of the R30 where the loft floor doesn't go so thats R45.

4 foot dual fluorescent lamp for the loft, 9 bucks from the depot!

Ceiling sheetrocked!

Sheetrocked!

Doing the mud & tape today...

Ordered my racedeck flooring yesterday, should be here next week. Here's the pattern I got. Truck will park on the pattern area, the garage door is the top of the pic, the left of the pic will be the toolboxes and cabinets

My Screename doesn't work
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wow, it's looking awesome!

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Thumbs up

Great job on the progress! Man you've been busy. I need a flooring for mine too so it'll be intersting to read the results on your racedeck install. Looks like you drive straight in but I wanna know how it will perform if you turn a little on it. Some people say it kinda comes up in places so you have to keep the wheel perfectly straight when going in or coming out. Nice pics as always!

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    i dont miss doing all that stuff
    looking good. whats your wall paint gonna be like

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    i've been on the garagejournal forums a bit and haven't read one bad thing about the racedeck flooring yet. Now there's other brands that imitate it that guys have had issues with, but as far as racedeck it seems to be top notch. I got a sample in the mail today and I was really impressed with it. I can't wait to get the full order in!

The walls were going to be all white just to get lots of light, but I decided against it even though I don't plan on doing a lot of dirty work in the garage, I'd rather do something a little different.

It'll be 2 tone with a white ceiling & trim. The bottom color will be the alloy color of the flooring (the center squares), the top color will be a few shades lighter, almost an off white, then the divinding stripe between the colors will be a sonic blue flame stripe.

Hopefully I'll have the walls all painted by the end of the week for my flooring to arrive. Got the walls taped & mudded yesterday and today, tomorrow I'll sand and touchup any 3rd coat spots, and Monday I'll start the painting.

*edit*

some more progress..

quick paint job of the floor plan layout. Its pretty much to scale too. The truck should fit on the patterned area, the garage door is offset to the right side too which works out nice. I'll have my toolchest by the garage door for easy driveway wrenching, with the workbench next to that. Then a void for a few feet where the electric panel is, and room for fully opening the drivers door for doing any interior work and easy getting in & out, then a 4' wide cabinet, then I'm going to build a rack for storing extra sets of tires (stock 20's, winter tires, etc.). The back wall I want to hang my slicks & skinnies up. The NHTOC logo slapped itself over top where I typed that up lol.

Last edited by Harley#356; 09-04-2010 at 09:56 PM.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Thumbs up

Looking good. The paint scheme should look wicked too!

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice progress, keep up with the good work!

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    PROGRESS!

So...got the drywall all sanded on Sunday night. Monday got 2 coats of flat white on the walls, and 3 coats of flat white on the ceiling. Sucked up a quick 5 gallons of paint! Ceiling is done, just staying that white. Today I'll paint a blue stripe on the walls, then give it about 2-3 days to fully dry before masking and drawing out the flame pattern and painting the upper & lower halves of the 2 tone walls. Also going to hang my lights and ceiling fans tonight. I've got sixteen four foot bulbs going up, should light it up pretty well Then tomorrow I'll start trimming out and prepping the floor for when my racedeck arrives!

Going back to page 1, its some decent progress so far!

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Very nice! keep up the good work.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast