Thread: Cheap Drop Question

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cheap Drop Question

Right now I only have a 2" beltech drop shackle in the rear. I was thinkig about dropping 2" in the front and another 2" in the rear giving me a 2/4. Up front I was thinking about cutting a coil off the front springs which should net me about 2" and the cost is $0. Out back I was thinking about removing a leaf from my spring which I have read should net me about 2" additional at a cost of again an affordable $0. I do know I will now need shock extenders so I can get those. My question is, what will be my drawbacks do doing this type of drop. Do I need a c-notch for a 4" rear drop? Does anyone have a how - to for both the front spring removal and rear leaf removal? I believe I am supposed to remove the second leaf from the bottom. Thanks for your help!

Name: Patrick

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    well....how important is the ride quality to you.

Cutting a coil will change your spring height...but also change your spring rate dramatically

Spring Rate is the measure of the amount in pressure in which a spring cycles, from standing, to fully compressed.

If you take a coil off, your spring rate changes, meaning you'll have a firmer and ofter harsher ride.

regarding the rear, shackles are cheap and removing a leaf will cut down on your payload capacity.

I removed a leaf on my chevy before I bagged it and was VERY happy with the change in ride quality, but also removed a good chunk of payload capacity.

*Can we get this thread moved to the suspension forum?

I dont think you'll *need* a c-notch for a 4" drop, but you'll definately need shorter bumpstops

02DSG
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    all i did is cut springs and removed leaf! need shock extenders and alignment kit though!!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    anyone have pictures... i about to cut springs and do either belltech 2in (1.5 in actual drop) or the JLP 4in (3in actual drop) in the rear..

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanker View Post
    well....how important is the ride quality to you.

Cutting a coil will change your spring height...but also change your spring rate dramatically

I dont think you'll *need* a c-notch for a 4" drop, but you'll definately need shorter bumpstops
    it doesn't change your spring rate dramatically. It barely changes it at all. It's actually about as close to a stock ride feel as you can get for a lowered setup without doing spindles. And even still, when most guys do aftermarket drop coils, they stiffen the suspension! A cut stock coil is still not as stiff as any other aftermarket coils (belltech, hotchkis, ruslow, etc.).

The only negative arguement against cutting stock coils is if you cut them wrong (with heat), and that you shouldn't cut progressive coils (and our's aren't progressive so thats fine). Other than that its a perfectly safe and fine thing to do, and retain a near stock ride feel, and not spend much money other than an alignment kit.

And yep, 4" rear drop you don't need a cnotch, but its a good idea as right at that 4" mark you'll be bottoming out somewhat often.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    mike you know the answer to this. belltech all the way. pm me for the complete details.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002DSG305 View Post
    mike you know the answer to this. belltech all the way. pm me for the complete details.
    Yeah... i had posted this up before I saw your truck in person. Im going belltech .... and... maybe... you ... can ... help me... one day when I get it.