Thread: How to change the AC serpentine belt, not the SC belt

JGsSpcNightRod7and2002HDF
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question How to change the AC serpentine belt, not the SC belt

Hey guys/Girls, I have changed a lot of belts in my time, but this one got me. The serpentine belt for the Alternator, is behind the SC belt. I did the normal 1/2" drive in the tenser, starting taking off the belt while the fan and everything else was cutting the out of me. Then starting taking the belt off the pulleys and then a bracket between the crank balancer and the SC crank balancer... I have never seen this before, so I put everything back together, but I really need to change this belt. (which has oops 147K miles on it, no cracking but I am pushing my luck). I guess I have to take the SC serpentine belt off and then take the Alternator belt off (at-least off the pulleys) then loosen the two nuts and one bolt for that bracket? Help me out on this one please, let me know if my logic is going in the right direction.

Thanks
    Johnny

PS, i did do a search on this in HNTOC, but came up short. Most threads dealt with the SC belt and changing out pulleys.

needs more cowbell!
    Name: Sheridan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    You will need to remove the lower pulley in order to get the accessory belt off.

This is why so many of us go to an aftermarket "un-caged" lower pulley.
    Yes officer... I am aware of how fast I was going!

Another member of the BOC
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    +2 on what Steinjr said. If you have the stock lower pulley, you will have to remove it in order to get the old belt off and the new one on. Get an aftermarket lower.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not to sound stupid, but what are the benefits of the aftermarket? and which site/part number should I look up? When I remove the lower pulley, will it be not re-use able?

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGsSpcNightRod7 View Post
    Not to sound stupid, but what are the benefits of the aftermarket? and which site/part number should I look up? When I remove the lower pulley, will it be not re-use able?
    It will be re-usable...its just a pain in the A when you want to get to that belt.

Benifits of the aftermarket pulley, other than ease to work with...would depend on what size you go with...as you will be increasing boost and therefor increasing horsepower. If you change the lower to any size bigger than stock, then make sure you change your plugs and gap them properly at the same time and get a new tune done.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicHD View Post
    ... But it SCREAMS like a raped monkey at wot

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGsSpcNightRod7 View Post
    The OEM is "caged" as you could see looking underneath, well, you will keep the same OEM accessories pulley, but the SC pulley (caged) will be replaced by a interchangeable billet alluminum one, which don't have a cage and you will have the option of different sizes which will alter the boost.
    Visit the Supporting vendor section here on the forum, we have many vendors that offer the billet pulley.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks guys for the advise...