Thread: Randy and other SD owners

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Randy and other SD owners

I would love to get a HD SD. Anyone know of some reasonably priced ones? I would like a diesel also! Need one to pull my boat and I am tired of 7-8 mpg and premium gas with my 02HD. My truck really only gets out of the garage to pull the boat. The truck I am looking for will have to be CC SB diesel.
    Can anyone give my the Good/Bad about the 6.0, 6.4 and the 6.7 diesels that are out (no way I can afford a 6.7 but info is good). What years to stay away from? What to look far? What is too high of miles and stay away from?

Found an 05 F350 CC SB SRW King Ranch with 240k miles asking $17500 obo. Is 240K miles to much for the 6.0? Rest of the truck looks to be in good condition for the miles. But I rather have the Harley.

Goodness I hate being broke!!! LOL. Looks like I will be waiting until the Honda is paid off before I can venture into the SD world.
    Troy - 2002 DSG #09850. 378 HP, 465 TQ

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For starters I will say that you should point a browser towards the Ford Truck Enthusiasts (FTE) website. It is hands down the largest Ford Truck related site that I have found on the Internet. Within, you will find general forums like their "Heavy Duty & Super Duty" forum, and you will also find more specialized forums like their "6.8L V10", "6.0L", and "6.4L" forums. Between just incorporating FTE forums in with your normal daily surfing and doing some searching in their forum sections, you will find out more than you ever thought you wanted to know.

With that said the early years ('03 - '04) of 6.0L were more problematic. Some have hundreds of thousands of miles on them with no issues, but in those early production years there are more 6.0Ls with problems than without. My suggestion would be to look at late model ('06 - '07) 6.0Ls, if you look at them at all.

For the 6.4L, it seems to be marginally more reliable than the 6.0L, but it is also saddled with more emissions equipment. That tends to put it below the 6.0L in fuel economy.

And, Ford's new 6.7L PSD seems to have made it out of the gate quite well. It is still a very new motor so we really need some time to see how it fairs as some folks get some time & miles on them. Personally, I think Ford made the right decision in breaking away from International and bringing the R&D for the 6.7L in-house.

240K miles on an '05?!? I mean, it is not unheard of, but whoever owned that must have lived in that truck!! There are some 6.0Ls out there with 300K - 400K miles on them; so it is not at the end of its life. However, I would definitely check it out pretty well before considering the purchase.

Depending on your usage though, a PSD may not be the best choice. These motors tend to like being used. Letting them sit idle for periods of time invites "lot rot" (rust forming in the turbo(s)) and doing day-to-day errands in them can lead to several issues including DPF (diesel particulate filter - in the 6.4L & 6.7L), turbo, and assorted fueling & intake issues. These motors are simply at their best when they are used regularly and either long or hard enough to get the motor & trans up to operating temps for a good period of time.

In lieu of a PSD, I would suggest looking into a 6.8L V10. Unfortunately, the combination of a Harley-Davidson edition Super Duty & V10 will limit you to model years of either 2004 or 2009. But, if you are willing to look beyond the Harley trim level, you stand a decent chance of finding a good V10.

From a longevity standpoint, the V10 & PSDs are on a pretty level playing field. Both are known to go several hundred thousand miles...especially with good care. On the maintenance & cost-of-ownership sides, the V10 is a fraction of the price of a PSD. The only real detractor on the V10 is fuel economy. My '09 F350 (CC, SB, SRW) averages 13 - 14 MPG in Denver & 16 - 17 on the highway. In contrast, my '06 F250 (CC, SB, SRW) averaged 15 - 16 MPG in Denver & 17 - 18 on the highway.

Personally, giving up an average of 1 MPG across the board was very worthwhile. I no longer worry about maintenance costs, or what will happen if my EGR cooler breaks. I am no longer concerned with the turbo tube popping off. I can drive through neighborhoods in the dead of night without waking everyone up.

One thing to keep in mind--if you should entertain the thought of a gasoline-powered Super Duty--is that both the 5.4L & 6.8L do their best work in the upper RPM ranges. As such, you will want 4.10 or 4.30 gears for a Super Duty in its stock form. Lift kits & bigger tires will push you to 4.56 or deeper gears.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    If I get a PSD I will be driving it more than I drive my truck now and I will be pulling the boat to farther places during the summer time. I thought about the V10 but how will it do pulling 5200lbs parachute behind it. I know the 5200lbs isn't much when talking about a PSD but that means it shouldn't effect the mpg very bad either. I am sick of my 7-8 mpg when pulling the boat with my 5.4. With out the boat I get 12-13 roughly in the city and 17-18 on the highway but I have seen 20 before on the highway. If we get the PSD we will probably be taking that on our road trips too. We miss our Expedition and its room.
    I will look into the FTE site and see what I find. Thanks!

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Maybe 2manytrucks can add something. PM him if he doesn't see this soon.

El Capitan
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The biggest problem with the 6.0 is the head studs. Usually the only time you'll lift the heads, is if you put a high hp chip on. However, if you get a programmer and get some custom tunes, you lessen the chances of that happening. A lot of the problems stem from the egr. Custom tune turn the egr off, which relieves a lot of pressure. If you don't do any performance chip or programmer, you usually won't have any problems.

The 6.4 has problems with the injectors and emissions equipment. They also don't get as much fuel mileage as the 6.0.

I could go on for awhile about this stuff. I did a lot of research before I bought mine. I really wanted an '08, but didn't get one because there seems to be too many small probs. Give me a call sometime and I'll tell you everything I found out about these trucks. Plus your more than welcome to drive mine around to get a feel for it. It's definitely a heavy truck.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceharley View Post
    I thought about the V10 but how will it do pulling 5200lbs parachute behind it.
    That would be less than half of the tow rating for a Super Duty with a V10. I pull a just over 4,000 pound enclosed trailer behind my truck from time to time, and it only brings me down about 0.5 - 1.0 MPG on average. And, from the weight perspective, you can barely tell that it is back there even though the trailer is about as aerodynamic as a brick....not that a Super Duty is much better! And that is in towing between Denver & western Wyoming...so there are some major hills at play along the route.

As for the PSD side of the conversation, the 6.0L is also known for HPOP (high pressure oil pump) & injector failures. And most tuners & programmers are almost death sentences to the 6.0L. About the only one that I can stand behind would be Spartan Diesel's Phalanx Flash console and custom tunes from the same company. Matt & his team are well known in the 6.0L community.

The 6.4L is known for what could be downright horrible fuel economy....especially if it kicks into a regen cycle while doing any type of heavy towing/hauling. I think some of Ford's PCM updates have helped out in this regard.

Again, the best thing to do is start hitting some of the forums & doing your research. There is a ton of info out there, and you would being yourself a disservice by not educating yourself before taking the plunge.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Dogg View Post
    The biggest problem with the 6.0 is the head studs. Usually the only time you'll lift the heads, is if you put a high hp chip on. However, if you get a programmer and get some custom tunes, you lessen the chances of that happening. A lot of the problems stem from the egr. Custom tune turn the egr off, which relieves a lot of pressure. If you don't do any performance chip or programmer, you usually won't have any problems.

The 6.4 has problems with the injectors and emissions equipment. They also don't get as much fuel mileage as the 6.0.

I could go on for awhile about this stuff. I did a lot of research before I bought mine. I really wanted an '08, but didn't get one because there seems to be too many small probs. Give me a call sometime and I'll tell you everything I found out about these trucks. Plus your more than welcome to drive mine around to get a feel for it. It's definitely a heavy truck.
    I might take you up on that drive Rusty. It looks like it will be a time before I can buy. And if I do find something earlier that I might be able to work I will give you a call for info and maybe go look at it with me. Thanks!

Oh yea that is why I am asking before buying. And I really appreciate the info! I Know I can't work a SD into the budget with out getting rid of something we already own. I love my truck and don't want to sell, I hate our Honda but it gets good MPG's and well the boat isn't going anywhere but the lake, LOL. So I have about 3 years to look and research before I can buy (I guess unless someone want to donate to the "Troy needs a Super Duty" fund) Then the Accord will be paid off and maybe I can find a HD SD that is affordable and in good condition that maybe I would be willing to sell my truck for.
    Another question. Was all the HD SD's 4x4? I don't really need the 4x4 and figure it might save some cash.
    If anyone sees a nice HD SD CC SB for sale for a good price please let me know.
    Thanks for everyone's help! And if anyone can think of anything else or have more input about the MPG's I am all ears!
    Thanks
    Troy
    Last edited by 1niceharley; 08-06-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes, all Harley-Davidson edition Super Duties are four-wheel drive.

NLOC # 1174
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ill sell you my '08 6.4 350 Harley. It has 86k on it, stock, good shape.

PM me if you wanna discuss..

Member # 125
    Name: -

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am also planning on buying an f250 but am looking at the 7.3 models.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    MJ351,
    Thanks but right now the truck is back on the back burner. Going to have to wait another year or so. Thanks Though! and good luck with your sale.
    Musturbo,
    Good luck! 7.3's are nice but I don't think any HD's had the 7.3's?

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You are correct. The first year Harley Super Duty's came out in 2004 and had a 6.0 Powerstroke or V-10 gasser.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sticking strictly with the Harley-Davidson Ford Alliance Super Duties...
    • 2004 - 6.8L V10 or 6.0L PSD
    • 2005 through 2007 - 6.0L PSD
    • 2008 - 6.4L PSD
    • 2009 - 6.8L V10 or 6.4L PSD
    • 2010 - 6.4L PSD
    • 2011 - Harley-Davidson package listed as deleted, per the 2011 Super Duty Pick-Up Order Guide dated 04/01/10.

Member # 125
    Name: -

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceharley View Post
    MJ351,
    Thanks but right now the truck is back on the back burner. Going to have to wait another year or so. Thanks Though! and good luck with your sale.
    Musturbo,
    Good luck! 7.3's are nice but I don't think any HD's had the 7.3's?
    Yeah I didn't want an hd as I would want to mod/baby it. I need the 7.3 to haul /tow my toys and not worry about mileage or dents, etc