Thread: Shims ... revisited!!

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Shims ... revisited!!

Had stock leafs with Belltech 2" shackles ... reversed the shims. No vibration ... no problems. Resulted in 1.75" drop.

Went to Hotchkis 2411 leafs (2.5" drop) with stock shackles. Left the shims toward back (thick part of wedge toward the back of truck ... reversed). No vibration ... no problems. Resulted in 2.5" drop.

Went to Hotchkis 2411 leafs (2.5" drop) with Belltech shackles (set at 1") with shims still rotated back toward the back. No vibration ... no problems. Resulted in almost (not quite) a 3.6" drop.

Have decided that I want to go with both the Hotchkis leafs (2.5") and the Belltech shackles set at 2" (1.75" drop) for a total 4.125"-4.25" drop.

Question: Think I can "get away" with just the 2* degree shims again or should I put in 4* degree shims?

Since this is a PITA time-consuming task, I want to get it correct during the "get-go".

What thinks?
    Last edited by '02 H-D #677; 10-15-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Name: R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I never did take the time to do it myself so my advice is take it to a driveline shop!

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Ryan,

You have PM regarding particulars.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Has anyone ever really measured (via inclinometer) the stock pinion angle (stock leafs/stock shackles) to determine base-line? That is ... identified the "+/-" amount of "factory-set * tolerance"? I have "scoured" my CD manual and have not been able to identify it! I have GOT to believe it is there somewhere?!!