Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stock Sux...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stock Sux...

I finally got a chance to take my HD out yesterday. The weather was awesome. It was a perfect day for cruising, and enjoying some jams with the roof open.

I plug in may favorite CD, and crank it up a bit. I realize at this point, that the stock system in our trucks SUX. For what we paid for these things, they should have something a lot better.

I plan to keep the stock HU for now, but I need some advice on upgrades. Where do I start? I don't drive it often, so I'm not looking for a killer system. I just want to be able to crank some road tunes and enjoy.

Heres what I'm thinking so far-

Blackwood box- I plan to replace the 8"sub that comes with it, and use a seperate amp.
    Would I be better off mounting a 10" in the same spot? There isn't enough room for a box, so it would have to be run un-enclosed.

Amp- So far a JL has been recommended. Any other brands I should look at? I thought about a small amp to power the sub. Now I'm thinking a larger multi-channel amp might be better.

speakers- I like sweet clear highs. I can't stand tinney, or brassy sounds. Any suggestion on mids and highs? Does anyone make components that are designed to drop in?

That should get things going anyway....

Click it ^

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by St Louis Harley
    The blackwood box .... is just an 8" and it's a factory solution. How much does it cost anyway?
    I'm not sure about the cost. I think Ken800 said its around 200-250. I'm really after it because the enclosure fits in the perfectly.
    "free airing" a 10" where the blackwood box goes won't work. For a setup like that to work, the air space in the front and back of the woofer must be somewhat separated.
    Actually it is separated by the cover back there. What I don't know is, if a 10" will even fit. I have a spare 10", so I'm going to check it out. I realize a baffle board, or free air mount is not the optimum way to go. I'm willing to compromise so I don't have to cut the truck up.
    As for an amp, I have a couple of ideas. You mentioned multi-channel and that is often the most economical and easiest solution. JL has some nice models.
    I guess I better take a look at the JL amps. Everyone keeps bringing them up.

Y'all keep it coming...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by St Louis Harley
    If you made a fiberglass enclosure that molds to the back wall, you might be able to get away with a 10" in a sealed enclosure in that space.
    That's what I have been thinking about. My problem is time to do these things anymore. What is the best kind of foam to use for the mold anyway?
    Not all high end amps accept speaker level inputs, so that sets JL apart from some of the competition.
    It sounds like JL is my amp. Now I need time to research which one...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have to back StLou up on this one... get the Stealth Box & be done... you will absolutley not match the response fo the stealth box for twice the money unless you are a total rap/bass head.

JL amps are the creme'-De'-La-Creme' right now... The 5 channel is awesome. the 4 channels are great. The high in is critical if you want the stock head to play CD's & tapes..

After 17years in Car Audio professionally, I can say without reservation the Stealth Box is the best option for most of the HD F150 demographics.

Amps keep getting better & more powerful every year. Avoid the mainstream cd player/radio manufacturers for amps... Alpine, Kenwood, SOny, Pioneer all make great stuff, but source units are their bread & butter. Amps are a "second thought"". Alpine is an exception. but only at the $500+ category in amps.

Stick with JL, PPI, Zapco, Rockford (max Pounding), ADS (sound quality) etc.... find a good high end shop in your area.

Rob & Laura Weeks #09913 2002 DSG HD F150
    --My momma always said, opinions are just like Butt-holes everyone's entitled to one, but not always entitled to show it.

Trouble Maker
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I stuck with the stock head unit because an aftermarket head unit might as well be a flashing neon sign "PLEASE STEAL MY STEREO SYSTEM ." But I upgraded with Infinity door speakers all the way around with adjustable tweeters. These added GREAT sound quality. I tied those in with dual 10" subwoofers underneath the rear bench in a custom enclosure. These are all powered by a HiFonics Zeuss 700watt 5-channel amp. This system will not break windows, but it is more than enough to satisfy 99.9% of people. Sounds great no matter what kind of music I am playing.

Mike

BLWN HOG
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Avoid the mainstream cd player/radio manufacturers for amps... Alpine, Kenwood, SOny, Pioneer all make great stuff, but source units are their bread & butter. Amps are a "second thought"". Alpine is an exception.
    Alpine MRD-M300, Class D mono-block... as Mike has stated, one of the exceptions. I've got one powering a JL10W3v2D4 and it's clean, tight and responsive.

N2TRUX,
    I have learned a lot of lessons when working with car audio. I may "think" that the sound of "Brand X" is the best, but I most often discovered that it varies from person to person. For example, when an audio installer sets the cross-overs on the amp or HU at the shop sometimes the customer will just leave it like that. Most often, I help customers tweak the settings to what "they" like.

Audio is a progressive project in one's vehicle.

You mentioned highs and a little umph. There are endless possibilities on what you can do. 5x7 coaxials are a great way to start your project. I've had Polk Audio before and they sound average, then went to Alpine coaxials and now Diamond Audio 6 1/2. The JL stealthbox is your best bet for a quick bass solution. The Blackwood box 8" will soon sound inadequate once you take it for a hard-pounding test drive.

One of the reaons JL is so good, is that their amps "adjust" their power output based on speaker impedance. In laymen's terms, whether I hook up a 2,3,4 ohm woofer, the amp will still give constant wattage.

You can start by just upgrading the front speakers and leave the back stock. I would suggest you power them with a 2 channel amp like a Kicker KX500.2 .

Good luck!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    very well said chesterC....

the Alpine Mono/D-class amps are awesome bang for the buck for a sub amp. Again there re always exceptions. Do they offer Speaekr level in?

JL's voltage regulating/impedence adjusting power supply is one of the coolest amp technologies to hit in 20 years. & its a simple circuit! LOL amazing how we had such a great thing right under out noses in the spare transistor bin!

All of Kicker's stuff is top notch. My 1978 King Cobra is all Kicker & Alpine.

Speakers... AMEN trust your OWN ears... listen to as many HD & Sup. Crew trucks with similar power you can. Speakers can make or break the system faster than any other component. Find out which speakers each truck has in them... take your own music.

I cannot understand why anyone would go for the stock Blackwood console sub if they were into music even the slightest bit. Maybe if the listener were a jazz nut or needed the storage of the Blackwood console... not an audio based decision.

If you are a true metal/bass head go for a seperate amp for the main speakers (2 or 4 channel) & a D-class sub amp. Biggest you can afford. Remember good power costs money even in a D-Class sub amp.

Someone in one fo the Stealthbox threads said that the Stealth box would distort over 250 watts... Watts dont distort the sub or sound of the enclosure. Dirty power or a clipped signal distorrts the sound. period. Amps only amplify what is fed to them. If you give them a clipped Facotry head unit output the sub will sound distorted.

If you are keeping the facotry head unit stick with the JL amps. The JL's have the line converter in them & it is a smart converter. If the amp can handle the HU output without stepping it down... you get more input gain & more sound for lower volume on the knob!!! like a line level booster built in. Other wise you have to spend about $75-100 for a good 4 channel line converter. i only use the Soundgate brand units. They are very nice. They also make the Ford to Alpine M-Bus connector kit for the Alipne Changer to the OEM HU.

Ok... that enough out of me for a while.

Good luck

Rob & Laura Weeks, St. Louis MO

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    oops I lied there is more...

On the distorted sound of the stealth box.... this could be its own thread.

If using the OEM HU, the output of the deck has several features you need to be aware of.

1.) Overall output of the OEM HU is done at about 3/4 volume... if you are cranking your volume control past the 3/4 point on the little scale on the display you are clipping the signal & getting no more volume just distortion

2.) all Visteon/Ford/JBL/Premium Sound/Mach decks have a bass roll back feature.. meaning as you crank the volume, the bass is incre******ly reduced (internally) to protect the speakers from over extending. Call this the "blown speaker warranty trump card"
    So, you realistically will only get the best, fullest sound out of an OEM Ford headunit to about the 1/3-1/2 way point on the little bar scale shown on the display. I used to have the voltages.. but I am not sure where I filed them. Set your new amp levels (gains) to "ear bleed" not distored with the deck showing about 1/3-1/2 volume.

3.) Some Ford HU have crossovers built into the radio to prevent ultra low frequencies from going to the door speakers. I have actually seen 5 S.Crews with Blackwood/Expy head units in them. These have a sub woofer out section on the back of the radio... we couldnt figure out why the sub was so whimpy... so if you try everything else & still no sub... look to see if the back of your OEM HU has a little jumper plug in the back... if so you have a factory crossed over HU.. you wont ever have good subbass.

4.) one major benefit to keeping the OEM HU to me is the auto-sound leveling feature... where it turns the radio relative volume up or down to to maych interior noise. I believe the microphone is between the ciragette lighter port & the pop out cup holders.. the little grilled area above the console... dont block this... other wise the radio will act wierd.

Rob & Laura Weeks, St. louis MO

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I built my own rear console box and it sounds great with my Polk DX12 sub (soon I'll post pics and box diagram). But I know it could souned a lot better with a non stock HU.
    I replaced the speaker with the new Alpines SPS-570S and added some Dynamat style mats to the doors. I found out that sealing the rear speakers was very important. The fronts is more difficult. I'm playing with a small fiberglass enclosure (currently under construction) to see if it makes a difference like in the rear. The sub runs with a MTX 6500D and I plan to add a MTX 6304 for the doors.
    Later on I plan to add a new HU with monitor, cd/dvd/etc. and 5.1 processor integrated. There is a new Clarion powered center channel speaker that is 1/2 DIN size which can be installed in the radio opening so it is in the right place and doesn't need another amplifier. Will see.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by BL0WNHARLEYFORD
    I tied those in with dual 10" subwoofers underneath the rear bench in a custom enclosure.
    Mike, Do you have the really rare HD bench seat option? I looked under the rear "buckets" on my HD, and there is no room at all. Are you trying to confuse me? It wouldn't take much, ya know...

I spent some time playing with the spare 10" I had seeing where it would fit. I can say for sure, that a 10" WILL NOT work behind the seats.

I guess y'all are right, if I want to run a 10", it's either the JL stealth, or the HD4mulabox...
    Last edited by N2TRUX; 03-03-2003 at 09:15 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the stealth is a 12" (a 12w3d2 to be exact) & it is great. Got mine installed LATE last night.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    LOL got bak home about 1:30am or so... I just ahd to put the interior back to gether & do a little tweaking of the kicks... I am planning lots of tuning this next 10 days while I am on the road... 6,500-7,00 miles before the 15th of March.. should eb ready for the chip & pulley by then!

Rob & LAura Weeks , St. Louis MO

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    maybe if I slow down on my typing I could avoid looking like an illiterate dork... geez

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by 2002GreyHD150
    maybe if I slow down on my typing I could avoid looking like an illiterate dork.
    That's OK Rob. We all know you really are a literate dork ;Y ;Y

Don't look w/your fingers
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    N2TRUX, I called ProBox about our trucks and they said they should have a speaker box for us within 6 weeks. They told me to call back. And they are here in Texas too.

Later
    100th

PS Here's some info for ya.

Audio Engineering has become the nation's leader in automobile subwoofer enclosures, making Pro Box the people's choice for the ultimate experience in quality and sound. With over 20 years of sound design behind us, it's obvious Pro Box comes out in the lead.

5001 FM 2515
    Kaufman, TX 75142
    Tel: 972-962-8953

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast