Thread: Changing out ECU's

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Changing out ECU's

I am helping a friend with his truck. He had his dead truck towed to the Stealership and was told the ECU was bad. They estimated the cost of replacment at over a grand. He emailed me and says he found a couple of ECU's on ebay for $150. I know the he needs to find one with the proper code, but I am wondering about the mileage. His truck only has 69,000 miles on it but the ECU he wants to buy says it came from a truck with 90,000 miles on it. Is the mileage stored in the ECU? If he uses theis ECU will his truck odometer show the 90,000 miles? Just want to lead him in the right direction. Thanks.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    mileage is stored in the cluster. He can swap ECU's, but he'll either need it reprogrammed by the dealership so the key works, or he'll need a tune to turn the PATS off on the new computer.

I have a 02 HD computer in my 00 HD and my mileage is still the same.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    will the aftermarket programmers remove the pats so it works.
    can i send my 2002 ecu somewhere to be reprogrammed or do i need to bring the truck in?

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    you can disable PATS with a programmer to use a different ECU. If you have an 02 ECU to put in your 01 HD, get a programmer with the PATS shut off and a tune for the 02 computer and load the tune in your 01 with the 02 computer installed