Thread: how do I remove lower grill

Name: Ulisses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question how do I remove lower grill

I need to remove the lower grill but I dontknow how.i removed the three bottom screws but it wouldn't budge?? Thanks for the help

Name:

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thank you black molly.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    okay I still can't seem to figure out how to remove the lower grill. The truck is an 03 and when I get underneath the only thing same is the three screws to the guide black molly gave me.please help has anyone removed their lower grill on an 03? I can't seem to get it out...
    Last edited by ulisses03HD; 01-17-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    does anyone have an idea?? I don't think they ate the same way to remove since the guide is giving instructions to remove on an 00 harley bumper...

2002 HD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    heres some bad advice that i did with mine, i just ripped the damb thing out and threw it in the garbage. lol i knew i wasnt gonna use it again, i flush mounted a j jent, which i will never take off and put the gay plastic stocker back in.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    they're mounted in a similar fashion. that how-to there's no heat exchanger up there further making the space tighter. Few clips and bolts and it should come out.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Just make sure you wear mechanics gloves when trying to get it out! Otherwise you will end-up having nice "hamburger hands"!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I still can't get it out and I have read that how to like 30 times

Name:

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ulisses03HD View Post
    Can you maybe snap a few pics from the backside....maybe someone can point out exactly where you need to pull, twist or BITE

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ulisses03HD View Post
    Been a long time since I removed it but I seem to remember that there are like four screws along the very top and a couple snap-in "latchee-thingees" that "clip-over" the plastic license bracket "doo-dad". You will have to remove the plastic license bracket (if you have one) and upper rubber "dam-thingee"to gain access. I removed it when I first took delivery and replaced the entire thing with a custom made lower grille that was fabricated from a donor/cannibalized upper '02 grille. I think I may have a couple pics of the screws/"clip-thingees" that I took while I was removing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by '02 H-D #677; 01-19-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    The above pic shows the "legs" of the plastic license plate brackets sticking out behind the lower black plastic grill. You will notice a couple hex-head screws above the right "leg" and toward the center. Those are a couple of the four screws that hold the top in place. You might also notice a flat plastic flange that has a wedge-shaped clip that snaps over to secure the bottom. It is tight up in there! Wear gloves!

[edit: The pic shows the black rubber dam pushed up over the IC. It is normally pulled down behind the IC and secured to the holes you see in the pic using plastic push-pins.]
    Last edited by '02 H-D #677; 01-19-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    so my screws aren't on the outside they are in the inside...i will post pics soon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And some pics of my truck

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Hmmm ... might try a small (appropriate size) closed-end (box) ratcheting wrench to get to them? Otherwise, will probably have to bite-the-bullet with a small open-end and spend a whole lot of time getting them out a 1/4 turn at a time! ... in cramped quarters!! I wouldn't worry about deflecting the plastic as the screw comes out ... the grille is made of fairly flexible "ABS-type" chit and will not break/crack as the screw-head may impact it as it comes out. IIRC, I don't think the screws are very long anyway.

[edit: Keep in mind ... those flat plastic "wedge-thingee-keepers" are more difficult to get out than anything else! You will probably end-up stabbing yourself a couple times with a small flat-blade screwdriver before you get them free from the rectangular "keeper-slots"!]

[edit 2: This is a good time to install a flush-mounted JJEnt ... if you can find one ... or fab a four-bar lower that matches the upper grille. Hoffman has done some incredible stuff fabbing-up custom "oval-less" upper grilles with just the thicker '02/'03 bars.]

[edit 3: Those are some very NASTY conditions to subject an H-D to ! ... shame on you! Ha! You actually try to drive an H-D in the snow?! ... that takes some serious nuts! LoL!]
    Last edited by '02 H-D #677; 01-19-2011 at 07:47 PM.