Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2001 Mod Info

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2001 Mod Info

1) Hey Bro's, I read alot about 2002 and after, but I'm lackin info on my 2001. I found a Lower Valance from DGM, but it's fitment chart says either 1997-2003 f150 SUPERCREW, then some are for Heritage models. Now Im thinking from what ive read Our Bumper setup is different than all them..Can I get the Valance kits that go to a Regular Supercrew or heritage model, or is ther Mounting different like the lightning mountings that dont fit ours Directly?

2)ALSO, Ive got 2" shackles, Im adding the Hanger kit soon along with Cutting L Coils for front..Do I need to adjust my angle for Drive shaft w/ a 2-4'' drop? and if so, By doin what ? (turning shim around under Leaf)
    ( I GOT SHELL SHOCK)I twisted my '94 L off 2 times because somone didnt Instal the Flip kit/C Notch and change my Angles..(Someone being the garage I paid to Drop it) Because I have NO CLUE about Mechanics unless its a Motorcycle...

Updates this winter- I got Lightning Coils Comin from our clasifieds here on NHTC (to cut), and Hangers to add to my shakles.
    I installed a KVT 514 CD/DVD touch, 1000 watt Sony, and Polk Audio 12" subs...
    It's freezin here in NY so she hasent left the garage in 2 MOS..and I'm remodling the house so the Other 2 stalls in garage are all sheetrock and the walls ive torn down, so i dont have enough room to work on her right now..But Febuary looks like the month everything will be cleaned out...Then i can start workin on her till about April when the BLACKTOP Plant opens again....THX for any Info ...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What Makes the (STOCK) HD and Lightning Lower than the REG f150's..My 2" drop Hangers are for a f150 97-2003, but didnt say what Model, Is it Possible the Holes drilled in these Hangers Lower a REG f150 2'', But because the HD and Lightnings are already LOWER i wont get a Full 2" from the hangers because of wear the holes are Drilled ?

Name:

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    I have a Belltech 2" inch drop Shackle...Easy to install and will make the truck set about level. A lot of people go with the JLP 3" drop shackles and they do sit a little more level than just the 2". I would not touch the front springs as this will make your ride too stiff IMO. As for the front lower valance get the one for the 02 supercrew....since that is what this truck is really...just with a few more percks i think it should bolt right on...just call up the company and double check.

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    the dgm lower valance will work with out bumpers.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Molly View Post
    I have a Belltech 2" inch drop Shackle...Easy to install and will make the truck set about level. A lot of people go with the JLP 3" drop shackles and they do sit a little more level than just the 2". I would not touch the front springs as this will make your ride too stiff IMO. As for the front lower valance get the one for the 02 supercrew....since that is what this truck is really...just with a few more percks i think it should bolt right on...just call up the company and double check.
    Yeah i got the 2" also..Im adding the Hanger kit, thats why im askin about the Drive Angle and if it needs to be changed...As far as the ride and front coils, This is a Toy, Not anything i use for TRUCK purposes ;)

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tpr103 View Post
    the dgm lower valance will work with out bumpers.
    R U saying that i have to REMOVE the bumper and just put the cover on Like i would for the L Cover ? Thats somthin i dont like for the fact its a street truck..i might need that Bumper,lol..

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    [QUOTE=Chris Juicein;559803]What Makes the (STOCK) HD and Lightning Lower than the REG f150's..My 2" drop Hangers are for a f150 97-2003, but didnt say what Model, Is it Possible the Holes drilled in these Hangers Lower a REG f150 2'', But because the HD and Lightnings are already LOWER i wont get a Full 2" from the hangers because of wear the holes are Drilled ?

Do I need to Get hangers that are 2" drop for HD/L and not just F150 ?

BUMP..

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    1. The L front incorporates a bumper-bar and additional brackets under the urethane bumper-cover. The H-D has an actual metal bumper (painted) with the valance bolted to the bottom of the bumper and a urethane “cap” on the top of the bumper. The L front uses different fogs than any of the H-D’s. The ’01-’04 L fogs are an improved design/size from those on the ’99-’00 L. The complete L front can be bolted onto the brackets on the ends of the chassis rails of the H-D and vice-versa. The entire front assembly for either truck is EXTREMELY pricey!

2. Cutting coils is a legitimate way to lower the front but it will result in a stiffer ride and requires other stuff (cam bolts) to ensure accurate alignment afterwards. Installation of 2” hangers in conjunction with 2” shackles will not change the pinion angle since the entire rear-end would be dropped in a level (2” for front of leaf-stack and 2” for rear of leaf-stack … well, almost level) manner. IMO, I would re-think the notion of installing hangers … they are a HUGE PITA!! … best done with the bed removed.

3. The lower rear profile of the L and H-D compared to standard F150 2WD trucks is the leaf-stack/pack. They are “more flat” and carry a higher spring-rate. They do, however, also carry a lower load capacity rating.

Might want to check-out/search the suspension forum for additional insight/info.
    Last edited by '02 H-D #677; 01-19-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Juicein View Post
    R U saying that i have to REMOVE the bumper and just put the cover on Like i would for the L Cover ? Thats somthin i dont like for the fact its a street truck..i might need that Bumper,lol..
    well dg sells 2 different kind of bumpers one is the L style and if fits just like an L bumper. the other is the one i have and it replaces the lower part of our bumper. harley bumpers are 3 pieces

Name:

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    [QUOTE=Chris Juicein;559867]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Juicein View Post
    What Makes the (STOCK) HD and Lightning Lower than the REG f150's..My 2" drop Hangers are for a f150 97-2003, but didnt say what Model, Is it Possible the Holes drilled in these Hangers Lower a REG f150 2'', But because the HD and Lightnings are already LOWER i wont get a Full 2" from the hangers because of wear the holes are Drilled ?

Do I need to Get hangers that are 2" drop for HD/L and not just F150 ?

BUMP..
    Instead of cutting the coils you might call some places that make custom springs so you get a good ride, better handeling AND lower. I think a nice set of springs are not that expensive...but to each their own

Here is one place http://www.coilsprings.com/sports_cars.aspx
    Last edited by Black Molly; 01-19-2011 at 02:31 PM.

HD4595
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Ruslow makes good coils but I don't mess with coils ever really....Get control arms or spindles.....

I have an upper pad for the bumper if you pickup a valance panel. I sold mine, sorry.

The Lightning bumper is different than the HD or any other Ford Truck bumper. Don't let anyone tell you they are the same because they aren't. I know, I changed my HD bumper to the complete L version and have all the details and P/N you need to make that change over! You can RIG up the L cover to an HD bumper, however you will not be able to mount your fogs!

You have to buy the L inner bar and all the other 6 brackets to mount the L fogs or bumper cover correctly.... not as simple as just bolting it to the ends..

Or just sell your truck and go buy a nice clean 02 or 03 HD!!

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    If you have the COMPLETE assembly (bumper-bar, brackets, cover, fogs) the L is a "bolt-up". Likewise, the same is true for an H-D front assembly for any F150. I am of the understanding that he wants to identify a new valance for his '01 H-D or use an L cover on his existing bumper. IMO, any of the aftermarket valances on an H-D look like "poo"! An L cover will not work unless the entire assembly is replaced (to make it "right/correct"). Anyway you "cut it" ... the entire assembly for either is major $$$! ... even replacement '00-'02 H-D or '03 H-D valances are not inexpensive!

[edit: Does Stan still offer his springs?? ... I dunno! I agree that CA's or spindles are a better way to go.]
    Last edited by '02 H-D #677; 01-19-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tpr103 View Post
    well dg sells 2 different kind of bumpers one is the L style and if fits just like an L bumper. the other is the one i have and it replaces the lower part of our bumper. harley bumpers are 3 pieces
    TPR103 -Yeah you know what im lookin for...So I'll call them and ask about the Bottom Valances for my truck.....Im fine with my Bumper ..i just want the Lower valance .. Little Extension ;)

As for all the Other Info, Thank You...and yes the Camber Bolts and washers I researched for my alignment after talkin to Josh (Harley 356)...

The hangers bein a PITA, Ive heard that 100 times, i got a suspention place doin that...its the cheapest way for me to grab another 2"..and this is a toy that im sure Ill upgrade at some point, But BIZ hasnt been boomin in a couple yrs so i gotta take it easy on the wallet.....

There were alot of replys, so TY and im gonna read threw them again..

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    If you are going to the cost/time to pay someone to change-out to lowering hangers? ... and planning to upgrade? ... I might suggest you simply use the opportunity to install "sliders" in the front ... for now, at least ... and then plan on similar application in the back when the shackles "twist/tweek".

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    1st this is mostly to everyone else talking about don't cut the front coils it'll make the ride too stiff, yet recommending aftermarket coils instead. Need to understand the facts first before spreading incorrect information. Cutting the stock coils properly will increase the spring rate, BUT by such a minimal amount you'll never notice it at all while driving. Also, the spring rate it does increase it to, its still WELL below any other aftermarket spring's spring rate. Saying dont cut the stock coils but get ruslow coils doesn't make any sense. The ruslow coils are the stiffest ones you can get and will rattle your brains out compared to cut stock coils.

Stock coils - Cut coils - Roush coils - Belltech coils - Hotchkis coils - Ruslow coils (general order of stiffness)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast