Thread: New Owner with some questions!?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New Owner with some questions!?

Hello all,
    Well I finally found a nice truck the day I returned from Afghanistan. I managed to find a one owner, 2002, DSG, with 90,XXX miles for $10,500. I had set my budget for a HD at $14,000 so I have a few more bucks to play with. I dont plan on racing or doing too much towing. I would like to go with some basic bolt ons and go with that for awhile. I plan on doing these mods in this order:

Oil Separator
    Intake (JLP or Chickenears - any suggestions on which one is better?)
    Shackles for the rear to level it with the front (JLP 4" drops in case I want to go lower)
    Lower Pully (4 or 6 - suggestions?)
    Tuner

My question is if I do put the intake on, will I need to get a tuner at that point or can it wait and I get the pully and tuner at the same time? I would like to order the Intake and Shackles soon and then wait for the lower pully and tuner.

Also I was looking at this Alpine DVD/GPS unit for the truck:
    Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Does anyone have any experiance with this unit or would you guys have a better idea of one that you like better?

I have been lurking on the board for quite a while now and I am very proud to say that I am finally an owner. Thank you all for any information you can provide. Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Semper Fi,
    Kris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name: Byron

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    welcome nice truck

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Welcome, awsome truck but we demmand alot more pics lol. I say ur mod list is nice go with the 6lb lower and yes you'll need a custom tune, slap on a punisher vb and ur good to go.

BTW: Thanks for your service.

Name: Hank

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Welcome to the club.And once again Thank You for your service.And yes we do need more pics.Sweet looking truck.....

Name: Ulisses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    welcome and nice truck!! And like everyone said thanks alot for your service for an oil seperator go with an lfp oil seperator I heard they are really good as for a cai go with th jlp ram air intake setup..

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ulisses03HD View Post
    welcome and nice truck!! And like everyone said thanks alot for your service for an oil seperator go with an lfp oil seperator I heard they are really good as for a cai go with th jlp ram air intake setup..
    do NOT get an LFP oil separator! They're junk! L&S is the one you want that will actually work!

needs more cowbell!
    Name: Sheridan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Welcome!

You can install the intake without a new tune. You will need a tune when you add the 6lb lower.
    Yes officer... I am aware of how fast I was going!

Name: Ulisses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    my bad I meant to say l&s oil seperator...

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Thumbs up

Welcome to the NHTOC bro'. Very nice find too. Nice mod list to start with.

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Name:

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 97Snake1668 View Post
    Hello all,
    Well I finally found a nice truck the day I returned from Afghanistan. I managed to find a one owner, 2002, DSG, with 90,XXX miles for $10,500. I had set my budget for a HD at $14,000 so I have a few more bucks to play with. I dont plan on racing or doing too much towing. I would like to go with some basic bolt ons and go with that for awhile. I plan on doing these mods in this order:

Oil Separator
    Intake (JLP or Chickenears - any suggestions on which one is better?)
    Shackles for the rear to level it with the front (JLP 4" drops in case I want to go lower)
    Lower Pully (4 or 6 - suggestions?)
    Tuner

My question is if I do put the intake on, will I need to get a tuner at that point or can it wait and I get the pully and tuner at the same time? I would like to order the Intake and Shackles soon and then wait for the lower pully and tuner.

Also I was looking at this Alpine DVD/GPS unit for the truck:
    Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Does anyone have any experiance with this unit or would you guys have a better idea of one that you like better?

I have been lurking on the board for quite a while now and I am very proud to say that I am finally an owner. Thank you all for any information you can provide. Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Semper Fi,
    Kris
    the only time you REALLY need a tune is if you are changeing something major...Intake,TB, Plenum, muffler, ect you do not need a tune. Bigger lower pulley(do not put on smaller lower pulley), heads,cams ect you need a tune... Also when you do a tune you need to change out spark plugs to the right temp and gap...search " spark plug chart" and you will find what you need. At this poist it is a VERY good idea to plan on WHAT DO YOU WANT from this truck...DD or race truck. As for tuner check your local area for who does Dyno tunes and what they use. Most use Predator or SCT both a really good. As for intake JLP and Chickears are both nice...I would see what you can find used and buy that...I bought my JLP 2X for about $100. One of my favs but not many like it is the Razor Edge Power tube with the MAF in the tube....I found this to make some of the most power for me...and I have tried them all...but everyone has their own thoughts. A the above stated L&S is one of the top dogs that last a long time but they are NOT cheap. I do hate to be the one to tell you but the DSG(dark Shadow Grey) will never be as fast as the black one's

2002 HD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    welcome, that is a smokin price for a harley truck, good deal

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    OnlineCarStereo: Wholesale Car Audio Stereo video Deals At Bargain Prices I think it was this site that the Alpine didn't get good reviews. You might want to check. congrats on the truck!

32V SC 5.4L #001
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Welcome, thanks to guys like you for keeping us safe.

Nice truck, you will really like it with the mods you have in mind.

I can help you with many of them, send me a PM or give me a call.

I don't sell the Punisher VB, that's OK for a Lightning owned by a kid still wet behind the ears who doesn't mind being smacked in the back with every shift or for a race truck. I suspect you will find the the really hard shifts get tiring after a while, you won't be the first. The Factory Tech VB is always has been the "Gold Standard" and still is.

Let me know if I can be of service.
    Last edited by Madferraristi; 02-05-2011 at 01:37 PM.

************************CLICK TO VISIT MAD'S SITE************************

'02, 32V, 5.4L #001, 14psi Whipple and a few other mods. 640 rwhp, 610 tq. CA Smog legal