Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 60k maintence

Junior Boost Lover
    Name: Sean

Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Thats what I want to do. Three people Im thinking...1 to pump, 1 to crack and bleed, 1 to keep the reservoir full.

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    clean brake fluid lol

flush till the fluid coming out is clear. passenger rear, drivers rear, passenger front, drivers front. put a clear tube on the bleeder to watch for bubbles, and put the tube into a bottle to see when it starts filling up with clean fluid.
    Yep that's what I did. I used a HarborFreight compressor vacuum bleeder kit ($25 on sale) and was a snap to do. Just be sure the main stays full.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HD4mula View Post
    Yep that's what I did. I used a HarborFreight compressor vacuum bleeder kit ($25 on sale) and was a snap to do. Just be sure the main stays full.
    spend the extra $25 for the motive products bleeder and save a lot of pumping, and no need to worry about keeping the main full! I'm telling ya its one of my favorite specialty tools for how quick and easy it makes bleeding brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by SR81 View Post
    Thats what I want to do. Three people Im thinking...1 to pump, 1 to crack and bleed, 1 to keep the reservoir full.
    don't really need someone to keep the reservoir full, it pumps out pretty slowly and you'll know by how much you're catching out of the bleeder when you need to top it back off. The longest bleeding is the rear passenger since its flushing the entire length of the truck. Once that one is done the others are really quick and don't take much fluid at all since the majority of the path is fresh fluid. Can pretty much top it off once in the middle of doing the 1st rear caliper, again at the end, then just after each of the other calipers.

I've heard stories of pumping doing damage though to the seals in the master cylinder since you can press the pedal down to the floor and it pushes the plunger down further inside the master cylinder and is hard on the seals. Using the motive products bleeder there's no pumping so no worries of that, and its a 1 man job.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    +1 for a motive pressure bleeder, takes me 10 minutes to completely flush the brake fluid on any of my cars, I do a brake fluid flush once a year because it's so easy

Junior Boost Lover

Hurry up tax return. What fluid did you go with?

Word

http://www.amazon.com/ATE-706302-Ori...8&s=automotive

Amazon.com: ATE 706402 Original SL.6 DOT 4 Brake Fluid - 1 Liter: Automotive

I alternate to the regular gold colored fluid every other change, so I know that I've got a perfect flush when the color changes.

if you haven't done it before, your brake fluid is probably BLACK, most shops completely neglect brake fluid when replacing pads/rotors, they just slap new pads on and compress the calipers and leave the same fluid in there, absorbing metal/water/breaking down over time and turning to black mud.

Junior Boost Lover

Is the 1lt enough?

Word

for a initial full flush I'd get 2 of the same color just to be sure, it's not that expensive, I don't think I've used more than 1 liter before though.

just don't open the 2nd can if you don't have to, but keep an eye on the fluid level in the motive as you're bleeding. If you don't open the can you can hold onto it for years.

I usually just hook up the bleeder, pump it to 15psi and leave it while I jack up the rear end to get easier access to the bleeder screws, then go back and check to make sure it hasn't leaked out, or figure out why it's leaking and get it sealed.

don't check for leaks with it full of brake fluid ;)

then dump a whole can into the bleeder, pump it up to 15psi, crack open the back right bleeder, open and close it for a few seconds a few times until the fluid comes out clean and the new color, then tighten up and move on to the other rear wheel. After each caliper check the fluid level in the bleeder is still visible.

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    spend the extra $25 for the motive products bleeder and save a lot of pumping, ...
    That's good price but there is no pumping with this one. Compressor does the sucking (vacuum).

Junior Boost Lover

Found out a friend has the harbor freight one. Going to borrow that one. Free is even better than $25.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HD4mula View Post
    That's good price but there is no pumping with this one. Compressor does the sucking (vacuum).
    so you don't pump it by hand? you have to hook it up to a compressor? Seems like even more of a PITA

Name: Ulisses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    guys a how to with pics would be awesome...

Junior Boost Lover

Ill take pics.

Name: Ulisses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SR81 View Post
    Ill take pics.
    thanks SR81

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    so you don't pump it by hand? you have to hook it up to a compressor? Seems like even more of a PITA
    I guess if you don't have a compressor at your garage it may be. Very straightforward to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast