Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: exhaust??

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

exhaust??

I know everyone here is running maggys or the jlp exhaust. but what do u guys think about running two 10 series single chamber flowmasters. i talk to one of the shops and the guysaid he would do the whole thing for 200 out the door. what do u guys think. i just want the truck to breath better and sound a lil louder. i will consider all thoughts

Boost Addict
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I hate Flowmaster. I would never put them on my ride, and try not to install them for customers. Its not the sound or generally crappy performance thats the main thing I dont like about them. Its the fact that they are POS silver painted steel and rust out after only a couple years of day to day use.

For $200 bucks though thats pretty cheap. I would be interested to see if those are genuine Flowmasters or the chinese knockoffs that have popped up after Flowmaster let the patent expire.

Do it... then post pics.

Junior Boost Lover
    Name: Sean

Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Everyone says they rob power on these trucks. IM done with Flows though, I want a different sound.

2002 HD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NC BoyHD View Post
    I know everyone here is running maggys or the jlp exhaust. but what do u guys think about running two 10 series single chamber flowmasters. i talk to one of the shops and the guysaid he would do the whole thing for 200 out the door. what do u guys think. i just want the truck to breath better and sound a lil louder. i will consider all thoughts
    i guarentee the shop is just gonna wack in some cheap knock offs and call it a day. i would go with a cat back, there are lots of options
    ie
    magnaflow, borla, bassani, flowmaster, ect,
    i have magnaflow #15772 with magnaflow mids, and i love the sound.
    in the future i will cough up the 2 grand plus and go with the jlp comp r kit.
    just my .02

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    I think my truck sounds perfect with the stock catback, in front of that though is OBX longtubes, no cats, and an X pipe in front of the catback...

No drone, great sound.
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

In GLOCK I trust
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would have to agree with the last post. i think that the stock ehaust was made by Gibson. They make a pretty decent product, and the stocker does have a good sound. I believe that the restriction and sound "problems" reside in front of the cat-back.......(cats,manifolds)

Junior Boost Lover
    Name: Sean

Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind View Post
    I think my truck sounds perfect with the stock catback, in front of that though is OBX longtubes, no cats, and an X pipe in front of the catback...

No drone, great sound.
    What x pipe are you runnin, custom?

Member # 125
    Name: -

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    dynomax ultra flow with Cannon headers and mid pipes with dumps. All 3inch stainless. Not cheap but sounds great looks great and over a year later 0 issues.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SR81 View Post
    What x pipe are you runnin, custom?
    yeah, I got it from amazon.com, it's stainless 2.5" and looks exactly like the magnaflo X's.

bolted it into place with dynomax stainless clamps.

shenanigans
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I had Flowmasters on my old 2000 F150 and they were the worst ever. DRONE CITY. At 60ish they made my ears want to bleed. Get a better muffler like Magnaflow, JLP, Borla, etc. I had a Magnaflow with the lightning exit on my 2001 and it sounded great with no drone at all.
    2001 Harley Davidson F150 SuperCrew w/ many mods SOLD

Boost Addict
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Ya know now that I looked at a pic of them I have installed a couple of those on a chevy 5.3l pickup. Honestly it was maybe 5% quieter than just straight pipe and has the same tone. Really cackly.

YouTube - True Dual 10 series flowmasters

I hated the sound but he loved it. Of course he also had a "REDNECK CADILLAC" sticker on the back lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 01harleydude View Post
    I had Flowmasters on my old 2000 F150 and they were the worst ever. DRONE CITY. At 60ish they made my ears want to bleed. Get a better muffler like Magnaflow, JLP, Borla, etc. I had a Magnaflow with the lightning exit on my 2001 and it sounded great with no drone at all.
    If you stand under a truck with flowmasters with the engine running its amazing how much sound comes from the muffler itself. I dont know if its the way its designed or the material used, but Im pretty sure thats where they get the drone problems. Do the same with a Maggy, Bassani, etc. and you can put your ear up to the muffer and hear nothing, all the tone comes out the tail pipe.
    Last edited by OGmackPLRcool; 02-02-2011 at 01:37 PM.

PiMpInDaSoUtH!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    JLP Comp R and ZERO problems. If u really wanna let your Shiat breath than do what i did and throw some cutoffs inline!
    If u buy a good exhaust like the regular 2.5 catback, u can do the install your self at your house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2009 seadoo RXP-X riva waterbox with rude rear exhaust outlet, Rude upgraded bigger supercharger, riva sponsons, fuel pressure regulatoR, RIVA pro blocks, riva rear air, solas prop, custom riva racing ECM, intercooler upgrade, intercooler relocation bracket,60lb injectors

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ok thanks for all your guys input. i think i will save my pennies and go with the maggy setup.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I think any search for "flowmaster" on this forum will bring up replies in every single thread that says how horrible a choice they are lol. They are notorious for drone, and quite a few have reported power loss once they swapped to them, or power gains when they swapped to something else. Pretty much anything out there is a better choice than flowjunks!

Pickup a DI/DO 14" maggy muffler online or on ebay and have a local shop install it if you want a slightly louder exhaust note on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by scotone View Post
    I would have to agree with the last post. i think that the stock ehaust was made by Gibson. They make a pretty decent product, and the stocker does have a good sound. I believe that the restriction and sound "problems" reside in front of the cat-back.......(cats,manifolds)
    Now that you mention it, I think I had read that before years ago that Gibson was invovled with the muffler production. Not 100% sure, but I agree, if I were to do it all again on my street truck, I probably would have kept the stock catback, and just replaced the 4 stock cats with 2 high flows and called it a day.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have no cats and di/do magnaflow dumped in front of the tire and it's almost to loud. I get tired of hearing it on the 3 hr ride home from work every weekend. Liked stock better for the long trips!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast