Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is my best option?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is my best option?

Well it was a rod that broke. Should I have them rebuild my stock block, re work the heads , and port my s/c or just get a new motor all together built how I want or have them just try to sleeve it ( which they don't recommend ) or get a stock block from a salvage yard. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a motor swap and what they did. I kinda need a fast turnaround. Any input with help.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    how sure are you that the rod broke and didn't do any damage to the engine block? I don't think I've ever seen a motor pop and not throw a hole in the block, or at least severly damage it internally. Heck I've seen the holes so big I could shake hands with someone THROUGH the engine block (tpr's lightning lol). Anyway, built motors use a factory block, so its no biggie to reuse yours if you're trying to save some money. But you have to find a shop local to you that you trust to do the machining and assembly. JLP has one of the best prices on a known quality built motor, so another option is ordering from them and saving the headache of finding a local shop capable of doing the work.

All depends how much money you have to spend, and what kind of power you're looking to get. At the minimum put a built shortblock in to prevent it from happening again. I'd also recommend doing ported heads and cams now too, thats where all the power gains come from on built motors, and its a biatch and pricey and labor intensive to swap those later. Keep the stock blower till you have funds to go with a twin screw, and use those funds now for getting a solid longblock in there.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Thumbs up

Yeah I agree...put a built motor in now and it's easy to swap in a bigger or ported blower later on. At least you won't have to worry about it happening again if you're built. If you just swap a salvage yard bottom end in, you'll always be pressing your gas pedal like it has eggs under it because you know what already happened.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just got off the phone with the shop. They have a boss 330, balanced and blue printed, forged pistons, hell fire rings, bored 10mm over, all ARP studs and rod bolts, stage 2 heads and stage 2 cams. The motor is rated for 1200hp but with my blower It wont make near that much. It Was built for another customer and he backed out of The deal after waiting 7 months on the build The list was longer but I couldn't write that fast lol. He's gonna port my blower , dual fuel pumps, new mass air flow , new injectors, all fluid and oil, dyno tune, belts and whatever else it will need , drive outta there price was 9600.00!!!!! What u think?

Junior Boost Lover
    Name: Sean

Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    I think you need to tell me What you do for a living ....

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    if 9600 includes labor for doing everything it's worth it, especially if the work and parts have a warranty that they will stand behind to make sure it drives out of there running perfect.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Lol I'm just a 30 yr welder. I got rid of the wife so that's a big expense off my shoulders. My lil girl is 6 and loves the drag strip and motorcycles. I can't wait till I can get her into the things I love. I work my *** off for what I have. I wasn't born with any kind of spoon. And your right, for 9600 it will be perfect. They stand behind the work and so does the company that built the engine. I just hope that this is the right way to do it. There are cheaper ways but I can wait for a less radical build, it's a daily driver. My fuel mileage isn't gonna be great but I gotta give up something. If your gonna be a bear you my as be a grizzly

PiMpInDaSoUtH!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i would FIRST call JLP! get him all the info you recieved from this other builder and see his longblock deals. im sure he could get you better heads, built shortblock for around $7500. then pay your guy for the installation and you will prolly be able to have JLP's stage 3 heads installed for the same price with the known quality and def. PROVEN PERFORMANCE!!
    JLP HAS GREAT LONGBLOCK SPECIALS!!! theres prolly a better reason why this guy backed out on this build!
    can you give us better details on the internals??

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The builder is al papitto. Google boss 330 racing. I will post all the build info tomorrow

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I've heard great stuff about al papitto's boss 330 engines, so you should be in pretty good hands. if that 9600 price includes all the labor you're in a pretty good deal. I think s|ck said he paid around $8k for his JLP longblock shipped to him in TX, so you'd be looking at something similar, plus R&R usually runs around $1800 at most shops, so that puts you right around the price you're looking at now.

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    plus R&R usually runs around $1800 at most shops, so that puts you right around the price you're looking at now.
    Hello Josh!

And if he is in Houston, I know a good guy (NHTOC Member) from Jersey that now lives in Houston area that could swap the engines a little cheaper than that.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    just make sure he has the proper engine hoist from harbor freight to save a TON of work!

:

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    just make sure he has the proper engine hoist from harbor freight to save a TON of work!

:
    I was thinking the same thing after I posted.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by 9061jerry View Post
    I just got off the phone with the shop. They have a boss 330, balanced and blue printed, forged pistons, hell fire rings, bored 10mm over, all ARP studs and rod bolts, stage 2 heads and stage 2 cams. The motor is rated for 1200hp but with my blower It wont make near that much. It Was built for another customer and he backed out of The deal after waiting 7 months on the build The list was longer but I couldn't write that fast lol. He's gonna port my blower , dual fuel pumps, new mass air flow , new injectors, all fluid and oil, dyno tune, belts and whatever else it will need , drive outta there price was 9600.00!!!!! What u think?
    Sounds like a great deal. I'd go for it in a heartbeat! Good luck. Let us know what you decide and when you get it back. Don't forget about the break-in period. ( I know it's hard to keep your foot out of it when you first get it back!)

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I believe Oki's motor was an Al's Boss 330 also. He has a bad a$$ combo and works really well for him.

Good luck with the powerplant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast