Thread: Purchasing a 03 HD with a whipple have some ?'s

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Purchasing a 03 HD with a whipple have some ?'s

Im buying a whipple truck with 75k miles. it has the standard fuel mods, 60's,upgraded pump,rails, etc. The owner doesn't have a full mod's list since he bought the truck from another owner who did all the performance mod's.

He has 3 seperate pulleys for the whipple. it's currently running a tune for 16lbs of boost. the owner has a pulley for 12'lbs that he said he could throw on since i'm making an 1100 mile trip home. The owner i can tell is not familier with mod's since he has swapped the pulley's before without a retune.

ok so now my questions are What is a safe reliable boost level with the 2.3 whipple for daily driving. I WILL BE GETTING A RETUNE ASAP. I want to make sure everything is set up right and not knowing the tune makes me very uneasy.

The motor is stock.

Also would it be better to put a larger pulley on the whipple for the drive home? previous owner said he made a 24hr trip with a 12lb pulley on it and it did well. That was with no retune tho.

This will be my first HD truck i'm a cobra guy tho so I'm used to being able to beat the piss out of my car and just from the little research i've done on this site it seems like i can't do roll WOT in the truck?

If anyone has any tips on what i've said or on what i should look out for i appreciate it.

THIS WILL BE A DD and the cobra hauler. haven't decided on a trailer yet but it will be an open one to keep weight down and i'll probably install air bags in the rear to help with the towing.

Thanks for any help sorry for the long post.

Name:

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    I would keep it at 16# since that is what your tune is set for....you are not going to hit 16# unless you nail the gas on purpose to SEE 16#...in other words if you are worried STAY OUT OF BOOST. You are going to get the best gas milage if your don't have the skinny pedel to the floor. See if you can contact the old owner or post up your build number to see if someone here might know something. Ask if he was part of NHTOC, NLOC or other forums...maybe there is a paper trail somewhere. As for beat on them they can take a beating...when people talk about shift downs and such they are talking about HIGH SPEED shift downs not the 35 mph shift down...As with any vehicle keeping in it at HIGH SPEEDS(125 +++) is never good. Not sure if you really need bags to haul a car and trailer...after all these are TRUCKS...if anything maybe some leaf spring supports.

PiMpInDaSoUtH!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yea^^ +.... I have an 03 HD with a Whipple 2.3 pushing 16psi for a year now. I mean it may be bc i have a SHAMU that my motors holding together strong but....Phahaha!!

Just get that sucker to a dyno!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2009 seadoo RXP-X riva waterbox with rude rear exhaust outlet, Rude upgraded bigger supercharger, riva sponsons, fuel pressure regulatoR, RIVA pro blocks, riva rear air, solas prop, custom riva racing ECM, intercooler upgrade, intercooler relocation bracket,60lb injectors

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    hahaha on the shamu lol but thanks that's what i was thinking. the current owner doesnt seem to be very performance savvy. He thought because it's less boost he wouldn't need a retune. which yea it may be OK it still is not the best idea.

And yes it's going to a dyno as soon as i get it home. i'll try and get the serial and post it up. thanks guys!

as far as towing goes the truck is lowered. not sure how low but i think pulling a open trailer with my cobra, 3600lbs plus my R1 and drag setup in the bed i may need some helper bags to pick the rear end up

Is it advisable to Tow with the 22' reps? i'm looking into getting a set of those as well since the 20's will be needing new rubber soon.

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobraguy View Post
    Im buying a whipple truck with 75k miles. it has the standard fuel mods, 60's,upgraded pump,rails, etc. The owner doesn't have a full mod's list since he bought the truck from another owner who did all the performance mod's.
    Be wary about this...not knowing what has been done to the truck can be very dangerous and costly. Can the current owner still contact the previous owner? Was he a member on one of the forums such as this one or LightningRodder.com I would want more info for sure.

He has 3 seperate pulleys for the whipple. it's currently running a tune for 16lbs of boost. the owner has a pulley for 12'lbs that he said he could throw on since i'm making an 1100 mile trip home. The owner i can tell is not familier with mod's since he has swapped the pulley's before without a retune.
    He must have different upper pulley's for the whipple if he has been changing them without re-tuning the truck. The 2.3 whipple comes stock with a 3.375 and I would put money on it that he probably has a 3.5 and a 3.0 to go along with the truck. (I will gladley take the 3.0 upper if its in good condition off your hands...PM me more when you know more).

My other concern is what lower pulley is on there making that much boost? I would bet that there is a 6# lower on there as I have a 8# lower with the 3.375 upper making 18#'s of boost.

ok so now my questions are What is a safe reliable boost level with the 2.3 whipple for daily driving. I WILL BE GETTING A RETUNE ASAP. I want to make sure everything is set up right and not knowing the tune makes me very uneasy.

The motor is stock.
    Stock motor meaning internals with a 2.3 Whipple on top...you need to be very careful here. The stock blocks don't really like to go over 400 rwhp and from what we have all seen, anything above that you are pushing it to have a rod break and push through the block or pan.

On a stock motor, I would not run more than 12.5 #'s of boost and be very careful with cool weather, as you will see boost jumps, expecially on shifts that the stock rods just can't take it.

Also would it be better to put a larger pulley on the whipple for the drive home? previous owner said he made a 24hr trip with a 12lb pulley on it and it did well. That was with no retune tho.
    If it is really tuned for 16#'s right now, then I would leave it alone till after you get home and get it on a dyno to make the changes you want done. Just stay out of boost the best you can...so take it easy driving home. You don't have to drive like a grandma, but definitely no WOT runs, 2 gear kickdowns, and if you do have to get on the gas take the OD off and ease on the throttle.

This will be my first HD truck i'm a cobra guy tho so I'm used to being able to beat the piss out of my car and just from the little research i've done on this site it seems like i can't do roll WOT in the truck?
    You can, if you know what you are doing and you have set it up properly. If you get stupid and forget what we tell you, then you will soon be asking us how to build the motor to handle the power you think it has or want.

THIS WILL BE A DD and the cobra hauler. haven't decided on a trailer yet but it will be an open one to keep weight down and i'll probably install air bags in the rear to help with the towing.
    If this is going to be a DD and used mainly to tow the Cobra, then I would even recommend bringing the power level down. Replace and sell the upgraded equipment...go back to stock fuel rails, go back to 42lb injectors, and the stock fuel pump, and a stock eaton. Through a 6# lower pulley on there and a good tune and you will be more than happy with it and feel safe about getting on it.

There are lots of guys on here that would be willing to take some of those parts off your hands if the price was right and even do some trading with you for parts you need. Like I said...I am looking for a 3.0 whipple upper pulley and wouldn't mind hearing more about the fuel rails you got.

It sounds to me that alot has been done to that truck that is not necessary yet. Case in point, I have a fully built longblock that runs on 22''s with a conservative street tune that is 585/650 to the rear wheel and I am still using my stock fuel rails with no problems at all.

Now I want to do a race gas tune and up the boost, so HP #s could be looking at around 750 so fuel rails are in my future.

Hope this helps...and if you need anything else just ask. There are a bunch of guys on here that know much more than me.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicHD View Post
    ... But it SCREAMS like a raped monkey at wot

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oki916 View Post

If this is going to be a DD and used mainly to tow the Cobra, then I would even recommend bringing the power level down. Replace and sell the upgraded equipment...go back to stock fuel rails, go back to 42lb injectors, and the stock fuel pump, and a stock eaton. Through a 6# lower pulley on there and a good tune and you will be more than happy with it and feel safe about getting on it.

There are lots of guys on here that would be willing to take some of those parts off your hands if the price was right and even do some trading with you for parts you need. Like I said...I am looking for a 3.0 whipple upper pulley and wouldn't mind hearing more about the fuel rails you got.

It sounds to me that alot has been done to that truck that is not necessary yet. Case in point, I have a fully built longblock that runs on 22''s with a conservative street tune that is 585/650 to the rear wheel and I am still using my stock fuel rails with no problems at all.

Now I want to do a race gas tune and up the boost, so HP #s could be looking at around 750 so fuel rails are in my future.

Hope this helps...and if you need anything else just ask. There are a bunch of guys on here that know much more than me.

Yea the thing that makes me nervous is the fact he has really no understanding of what's done to the truck. He barely drives it tho that's my only reason for still considering it. he's put like 5k miles on it in a year cuz he has other cars. Bought it for looks basically.

I really like the fact it has a whipple and yea i will probably detune it a bit and lower the boost. I'm gonna try to locate the previous owner i will def post up the build number and Vin once i get them.

what would you pay for a clean 75k mile 03 black HD with a 2.3 whipple and supporting mods?

also could i throw a 3.5 whipple pulley on it or is that too big?

needs more cowbell!
    Name: Sheridan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    A Whipple 3.5 is way too big for a stock engine.

It is my understanding that we should not exceed 12 to 14psi in the HD's. Some people think 16psi is ok... but that is more for the Lightnings because they do not weigh as much.
    Yes officer... I am aware of how fast I was going!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    what would you pay for a clean 75k mile 03 black HD with a 2.3 whipple and supporting mods?
    If it's in excellent condition, 18-19k

I have an 03 HD with a 2.3 whip with supporting mods, my stock block is maxed out at 461/543 at the tire. I would not push it further

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    edit- sorry double post

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinjr View Post

It is my understanding that we should not exceed 12 to 14psi in the HD's. Some people think 16psi is ok... but that is more for the Lightnings because they do not weigh as much.

I'ts been my understanding the bigger the pulley the less boost? pretty sure that still applies.

if it doesnt fill me in.

but ya i think i will probably go with a nice 12-14 lbs with a conservative tune on 93 gas. And then a Tow tune. and possibly a "fuel saver" lol i laughed while typing that ha

I def will post lots of pics when i get the truck home and clean it up and tuned. I want to get everyone's input on any mods they may see or may even know the previous owner.

needs more cowbell!
    Name: Sheridan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinjr View Post
    Sorry... I mis-informed you. I thought you were referring to the larger Whipple Supercharger. Here is a a link to Whipple's website for more info about pulley sizes/ratios.

Whipple Industries

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yea that's what i thought. I have a 3.4 whipple as well but that's for the cobra ;)

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    bigger upper pulley = less boost

smaller upper pulley = more boost

that is why I want to go from a 3.375 to a 3.0 upper for my ride!!!

75K in perfect condition, even with the mods listed....worth should be around 17-19K range NADA...problem is, with this market its seller beware. Fully built longblock 02 with 60K miles sold recently for 17,000 and that truck was listed for sale starting at $30,000 and just keep dropping.

If you look long enough and hard enough...you will find exactly what you want at a good price.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oki916 View Post
    bigger upper pulley = less boost

smaller upper pulley = more boost

that is why I want to go from a 3.375 to a 3.0 upper for my ride!!!

75K in perfect condition, even with the mods listed....worth should be around 17-19K range NADA...problem is, with this market its seller beware. Fully built longblock 02 with 60K miles sold recently for 17,000 and that truck was listed for sale starting at $30,000 and just keep dropping.

If you look long enough and hard enough...you will find exactly what you want at a good price.
    What he said. Maybe back in '06 or '07 that built truck would have sold for 30k. These times are way different though.