Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tun=better mpg?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just got it Nov 10, so the only thing I've done was Oil change.

I'm considering getting pullied and tuned and or Ported/tuned, but wonder if gas mileage will be about the same or will it get significantly worse even with "normal" driving.

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HURTNEM View Post

I'm considering getting pullied and tuned and or Ported/tuned, but wonder if gas mileage will be about the same or will it get significantly worse even with "normal" driving.
    Most folks have stated that loose 0.5 mpg. E.G. If you get 15 mpg you'll probably get 14.5 mpg.
    Not enough to worry about for the extra fun-ability. Well, except for your foot.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Does cleaning the intercooler really make a difference? I have an 04 Cobra and I've never heard of anyone with the 03/04 Cobra cleaning their intercoolers.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I have a stock 03 HD with K&N CAI (unless they come with this from the factory) and I get 270 miles to a tank of gas. Is this normal?
    K&N's weren't factory. Paper filter was stock. The miles to the tank don't really tell the full story, you need to calculate your mpg to get a better comparison because it may take 24 gal to fillup or 20 gal to fill up depending when you typically refuel, which that 4 gal difference could be another 40-60 mile range depending on your mileage.

I usually get around 15 mpg on average and fillup around the 300 mile mark and takes 20 gal. I've even gone as far as 356 miles (yep my lucky # lol) before the low fuel light has come on. Measure your mpg next time and post up what you're seeing. 12-14 mpg is typical. Above is better. 10-12 is marginal and probably some room for improvement unless you always drive it like you stole it. Anything under and you need to do some maintenance!

Typically won't affect it at all for regular day to day driving. It's when you romp on it that it'll burn a little more fuel, but really not enough difference to notice unless again, you're romping on it allllll the time.

Does cleaning the intercooler really make a difference? I have an 04 Cobra and I've never heard of anyone with the 03/04 Cobra cleaning their intercoolers.
    If it's never been done before it's probably pretty nasty and not working efficiently. Leading to worse mpg, and higher IAT temps, and therefore lower performance. Certainly worthwhile doing, and adding an oil separator afterwards (AMW or L&S). Cobra guys may have a bit better of a PCV system that doesn't injest as much oil blowby. These trucks are notorious for the IC getting oily though and over time caking up. Easy maintenance to clean on occasion and nearly eliminated with the addition of an oil separator.

Rumblin Bumblin Stumblin
    Name:

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    do any of you keep going once past the redline? I know we have 25 gallon tanks, but on avg it seems like when i fill up im always between 20-21 gallons.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Depends if I'm near a gas station or not. I absolutely hate it, not for the money, just for being in NJ and not getting to pump my own gas. Takes FOREVER, then it clicks off at $75 and you have to wait for them to realize its done, ask them to run it again for it to take all of another $10-$15 worth, yet they neglect to come back for another 10 mins thinking it'll take another $75. Easily a 15+minute stop. So I go as far as I can on the tank without running on fumes. Normally not good to let it run too low since the fuel cools the pumps, but with stock pumps they don't generate all that much heat. I think the red line is actually at 1/8th tank IIRC, so thats usually where I'll fill up. I'm usually between 20-22 gal on fillups. Occasionally 23 when I go after the lights kicked on.

'02 F-150 Build 2193
    Name: Marc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    When was the last time you did a tune up?

Plugs, filters (air/fuel etc), fluids (oil/tranny etc)

Have you ever pulled and cleaned the intercooler?
    Speaking of which, I was told by the dealer that sold me the truck that all fluids had been replaced. I've checked oil and that statement may or may not be true. However, I did notice that the IC had beaucoup oil in it so I cleaned it as best I could without actually removing it and I've purchased the LS oil separator which I've not installed yet.

I also noticed that getting to the plugs on this beast is not going to be the easiest feat in the world. Is there a simple way or am I going to have to tear it down to get to the plugs.

Also, my understanding is that the SC has it's own oil resevoir? Is that a contained system or is there a way to get to it to check the oil and refill or replace?

Thanks!

I'm sorry if I missed it...how many miles are on your truck?

When you pull the I/C for cleaning is the best time to change the plugs.
    Search on here and you will find a swivel socket tool that helps a lot.
    The Ford $tealership has four hours "book time" to change the plugs.
    Clean the intercooler & install the L&S oil separator and it'll stay clean.

'02 F-150 Build 2193

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I'm sorry if I missed it...how many miles are on your truck?
    I've got just over 72k on it Merlin.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcA View Post
    I've got just over 72k on it Merlin.
    Yepper, past due for a I/C cleanin'!

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I did notice that the IC had beaucoup oil in it so I cleaned it as best I could without actually removing it
    How did you do that?

I also noticed that getting to the plugs on this beast is not going to be the easiest feat in the world. Is there a simple way or am I going to have to tear it down to get to the plugs.
    There are a lot of threads here that will help. Is is a PITA the first time you might change plugs ... but it gets much more simple/faster over time. See the "How-To" forum.

Also, my understanding is that the SC has it's own oil resevoir?
    You are correct. Again? ... see the "How-To" forum

'02 F-150 Build 2193

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally Posted by MarcA
    I did notice that the IC had beaucoup oil in it so I cleaned it as best I could without actually removing it.

'02 H-D #677 said.....

"How did you do that?"

LOL, turns out I did not touch the IC at all. Told you I was new to this!!! Started watching the series of videos linked to on the forum and found out just how much of a newbie I am, I didn't even know what the IC was much less where it was.

Most of my mechanical experience comes from working on my classic V65 Magna. Didn't prepare me for my truck although I am more willing to delve into things I don't know as a result.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2