Thread: #356 Review - Meguiars Ultimate Wash, Spray Wax, & Quick Detailer

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Thumbs up #356 Review - Meguiars Ultimate Wash, Spray Wax, & Quick Detailer

Okay, I'm typically a Zaino-nut, but I ran out of Z2 and Z5 last year and haven't remembered to order any up lol. Tried out a few different products in the mean time stocking up my detailing cabinet, so here's my review on Meguiars Ultimate Detailing line of 3 products I've tried so far ...

Meguiars Ultimate Product Line

After reading Merlin's review of the Meg Ultimate Compound, Polish, and Wax, I decided to pick up a few products in that line and try them out. Unfortunately haven't been able to find any of those around here, but I did find their Soap, Spray wax, & Quick Detailer.

Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax Soap: Normally I don't buy into the "wax & wash in one" deal, but I saw another review of this product online and the user was very impressed by it. Looking for a soap to use in the winter when it's too cold to do detailing, I picked up a bottle to try figuring worst case it's soap to get salt off, best case it actually does a little protecting. First time I used it I was shocked. Exceeded my expectations 10 fold. Now it doesn't seem to leave the paint with that buttery smooth slick feel a fresh wax/polish job does, but it does give the paint the warm caranuba look.

I've actually got a pretty good scale for comparison too with two identical HD's so it's not just the skewed opinion of before visual image, lots of hard work, then after comparing to what you remember it looked like before, and of COURSE it's better cuz I just did all that work lol. I'd look at one truck then look at the other and compare at the same time. Hyde (race truck) was looking oh so sexy and deep dark shiny paint with all the zaino. Jekyll (street truck) was just starting to look less deep or shiny after driving all winter despite 40k less miles on the clock. Not at all worn out or faded, but just didn't have that deep dark warm caranuba look to it after DD'ing through the winter and not having zainoed since the fall. I started using this soap around January and lemme tell you, 1st time and it gave the paint that deep dark wet look again of a fresh waxing! Two thumbs up for this product.

Consistency: Squirt it in the bucket and unlike normal soap that disperses almost immediately, this stuff sinks to the bottom like you just squirted some yellow toothpaste in your bucket. Blast the hose into the bucket and it foams up and the water turns yellow.

Scent: Yep an important part of detailing products lol. Can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but it's not too bad. Certainly distinct, but not good enough to want to drink it like Zaino's Z7 soap lol

Longevity: Been using this soap since around January and the paint does keep that warmer deep look to it between washings. Cold weather I usually wash every 2 weeks, springtime with the pollen I've been washing about once a week. I'd definitely recommend this soap!

Meguiars Ultimate Spray Wax: Normally not the biggest user of spray waxes either, they don't tend to last as long, but as life gets busier, I find myself with more projects taking up time and not as many days to do full out 3 coats of Zaino, chrome polishing, underhood detailing, interior detailing, etc. lol. Plus between both HD's and the 5.0, I have less time, and more vehicles to detail haha. Gave this stuff a try to give a little extra protection and shine in between full blown detailings for the DD's. Used it today on Jekyll (street truck) and was really impressed. I tried the Meuiars NXT spray wax over the winter on the 5.0 and wasn't too impressed. That stuff dried like regular wax, stained trim, and required buffing after hazing and was a little dusty. Basically regular wax in a spray bottle applicator. The Ultimate Spray Wax is more like a quick detailer. You spray it on like QD and wipe it around and buff any hazing out and move onto the next panel. No returning to wipe later. THIS is the advantage of a spray wax, the quick time saver for when you want a fresh waxed feel/look, but don't have the time to do the whole deal, but want to do a little more than just a quick detailer.

I had a few streaks when I started, but by the 2nd or 3rd panel it was working perfect. I think it works a bit better when the MF is slightly wet with the spray. I'd use one side for the first few wipes, then flip it to the dryer side and do the final wipes before doing the next panel. Gave the paint another notch to the same deep dark warm look like the Ultimate Wash & Wax Soap, but also gave it that slick smooth buttery feeling. We'll see how long it holds up. Even if it's 2 weeks I'd be more than happy since application is so quick and easy, I can reapply after washing the truck in all of 5 minutes.

Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer: I didn't get to try this out much, just got it today as well. First impressions were good though compared to other QD's (see that comparison later). Scent is nice (forget what it is offhand), no streaking, and leaves a very slick feeling to the paint. I'll try to update this next time I use it on the full truck. Just used it in a couple spots today to clean up around where I did trim dressing on the plastics.

Well thats all for now. Another thread in a few on comparison between different brand products. I think I'm going to hold off on ordering more zaino though and give the rest of the Ultimate line a try for this season as long as I can find the liquid polish & wax around here.

Last edited by Harley#356; 06-04-2011 at 06:01 PM.

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 700/784, 09.89@138.78
    *Worlds Fastest Street HD: '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13****Worlds Fastest Eaton Powered HD: 12.19@112.48 11/17/07*
    D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.75@099.46 (*SOLD* 10/15/11)
    REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #2893 of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 14.93@091.30
    HASTIE: 2011 GT Mustang 5.0 6-Speed, Built 10/29/10, Bought 11/11/10, 392/352, 12.00@117.79 (*SOLD* 05/14/13)
    BADGER: 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L TT, Built ??/??/??, Bought 05/14/13, ???/???, 14.53@096.25
    GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the review #356.
    Have to give some of these products a try. Might be able to get away from having worlds dirtiest Harley.

Name:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    That's what I used for my truck. They work good. Especially in the gold state. Lol

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    going to give these products a run on the 5.0 today. We'll see how it looks on metallic sterling gray