Thread: #356 Review - Tire Shine

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Thumbs up #356 Review - Tire Shine

Stocking up my detailing cabinet with some new goodies to try out, and wanted to post up a review on several different products since I've collected a decent handful and have a mix of brands for my "regular" application use. Won't be quite as good as Merlin's write-ups, but hey it's another review to suggest some good products for you guys to test out.

Tire shine....I've probably tried more friggin brands of tire shine than all other products combined! Don't want something too dull, don't want something too shiny, don't want it to fling off, don't want it to be greasy, don't want dirt to stick to it, don't want it to turn brown, don't want it to disappear in a day or two, the list of demands out of a tire shine is huge when you think about it. Waxes/polishes you want something thats easy on/off with longevity and protection and a nice glowing look. Not worried about it flinging off when driving, turning brown, dirt sticking to it, being greasy, etc.

Out of ALLLLLL of the tire shines I've tried, TWO are the only ones I'll ever use again! Not even going to bother to review any others.

Zaino Z16: My absolute all time favorite tire shine! Nice low gloss sheen, dries to the touch, lasts between washes, doesn't turn brown, nothing sticks to it, a bottle lasts seemingly forever, it's just the absolute best tire shine I've ever used. You can even layer it for a shinier look if thats your thing. The only drawback is you don't want to drive immediately after applying, but thats the case with nearly any tire shine. With all the grooves in the tires there's always excess to spin off immediately after. Apply several hours before driving though and you're golden.

Dupont Teflon: Yeah the teflon part of it is a marketing gimmick, they have a whole teflon line of detailing products. The tire shine flatout works awesome though. Very close 2nd to Zaino. It's actually the same mikly white consistency as Zaino as well. Nearly all the same properties as what I described with the Zaino. I can't really put my finger on whats better about the Z16, I'd have to do a back to back comparison I guess, but my preference is Z16 between the two by a hair. But, I did run out of Z16 so I've been using the dupont tire shine for a while now. I actually bought 6 bottles before I quit at Advance when I had my employee discount and when they went on sale I liked it THAT much lol.

And since unlike paint photos where you can't really show how a wax looks in photos, tire shine isn't as bad to photograph, so here's a few pics. I think the Z16 is slightly less glossy than the Dupont (again you can layer Z16 though to make it shinier), but the Dupont does satin out a little after a day. I always apply any tire shine with one of those curved tire applicators. If you spray it on the tire you're applying WAY too much product and only increase fling, dirt sticking, etc.

Here's several photos of the Dupont tire shine...

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 700/784, 09.89@138.78
    *Worlds Fastest Street HD: '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13****Worlds Fastest Eaton Powered HD: 12.19@112.48 11/17/07*
    D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.75@099.46 (*SOLD* 10/15/11)
    REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #2893 of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 14.93@091.30
    HASTIE: 2011 GT Mustang 5.0 6-Speed, Built 10/29/10, Bought 11/11/10, 392/352, 12.00@117.79 (*SOLD* 05/14/13)
    BADGER: 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L TT, Built ??/??/??, Bought 05/14/13, ???/???, 14.53@096.25
    GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    I personally have not tried the Zaino Z-16 or the DuPont teflon tire shine.
    I would be sure that if Z-16 is like the other Zaino products I have tried it is an excellent product.
    I feel like I have probably tried every OTC tire shine product that has ever been put on the auto parts store shelf.

With my recent discovery of the Dry Shine products I thought I'd give their Tire Treatment a try.
    "Tire Treatment dries to the touch in seconds, and keeps your tires looking great for MONTHS!"
    Yeah, well enough of the "marketing". How well does it work? How long does it last and what is the look?

Dry Shine - Tire Treatment: For the Dry Shine - Tire Treatment to work correctly you MUST clean your tires first. This is done with the supplied degreaser/cleaner and brush. This removes any prior oily or silicone based products you may have applied prior. Once that is done rinse, let it dry and apply. Your desired shine level can be obtained by how many coats you apply. The more coats the shinier it gets. This stuff has excellent durability and a bright shine without the geary, oily or plastic look.

The application of this product is a bit different than some other tire dressings.
    Click HERE to veiw the easy application process. Clean, rinse, dry and apply.

The Dry Shine folks only have a couple of products but I have found each one to exceed my expectations.

Here's a couple Dry Shine - Tire Treatment videos

Mercedes-Benz McLaren SLR Meets: DryShine Treatments - Permanent Tire Shine Dressing

1,000,000 Custom Rolls Royce Meets: DryShine Treatments - Permanent Tire Shine Dressing
    Last edited by Merlin; 06-05-2011 at 09:05 AM.