Thread: New head unit for '03

Here Hemi, Hemi, Hemi...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New head unit for '03

Good day...haven't been on the site in a while due to work, however...Can anyone tell me why Crutchfield and Best Buy tell me that the Kenwood and Pioneer head units wont fit in the 03 Harley's. Right now I have my eye on the Kenwood DNX-7180. Not sure if that is the route I will go or not, however I am in need of two head units as my factory 6 disc in my 03 Harley reduced itself to am/fm nearly two years ago and today my 06 Mustang GT (Shaker 500) did the same. Apparently stereos are Fords weak link. (Strangely enough the factory am/fm/cassette/cd is still working in my 1999 Suburban...). Looking to get rolling on these projects within the next 4 to 6 weeks. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the input.
    2003 Blown Hog; 2007 F250 Harley-Davidson;1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport (5.0); 1987 Mustang LX 5.0L/5spd; 1999 'Burban; 1947 Willys CJ-2A, 1996 Ford Ranger Xcab, 2012 Surtrac Car hauler, 2006 Cedar River Silverback travel trailer: Honestly officer, it doesn't matter how fast I was going, if you want to catch me...make an appointment.

HiTech Redneck
    Name: Jack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What they are telling you is that they won't fit - directly!
    A DD head unit will fit with the right installation kit and a little cutting/grinding.

Here Hemi, Hemi, Hemi...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks HiTech, that's what I thought. It's been years since I have done an install, but for the Stang it is direct fit, for the truck...I figured with a little "remodeling" it would fit.

¤§_The_Noble_Beast_§¤
    Name: Christopher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well I have a Kenwood DNX-8120. And yes you gonna have to modify a little the fron panel in order fot it to fit.

Last edited by harley8029; 07-19-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Put a double din Pioneer in mine, just had to do some careful cutting and filing to make it fit.
    Black '02
    #00946 Built March 2002
    Innovations hard cover, Line-X bed liner, PIAA Extreme white plus headlight bulbs.
    Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD HU with Pioneer 2way 6x8 bullit proof speakers.
    Hankook Ventus 295/45/20

Here Hemi, Hemi, Hemi...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Now to get it done. Its been a while since I have been able to listen to more than the local FM station in my area...

¤§_The_Noble_Beast_§¤

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crushor View Post
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Now to get it done. Its been a while since I have been able to listen to more than the local FM station in my area...
    Good luck! Post some photos of the outcome..

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crushor View Post
    ...Can anyone tell me why Crutchfield and Best Buy tell me that the Kenwood and Pioneer head units wont fit in the 03 Harley's. Right now I have my eye on the Kenwood DNX-7180. ...Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the input.
    Double Din will not fit in our truck???

Been looking at the Kenwood line myself. I really like the built in Garmin GPS. I believe it has a free lifetime map update. The specs on it look GREAT!

Side Note:
    I heard that while you are driving using the GPS an advertisement E.G. Pizza Hut pops up on the screen (possibly when your are close to one)
    and covers up a good part of the active map. This may be the "price you pay" for getting free lifetime Garmin maps but if it's true that would suck.

Again, I'm not 100% sure about this but you may want to check it out. I'd be interested in the answer.

¤§_The_Noble_Beast_§¤

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Double Din will not fit in our truck???

Been looking at the Kenwood line myself. I really like the built in Garmin GPS. I believe it has a free lifetime map update. The specs on it look GREAT!

Side Note:
    I heard that while you are driving using the GPS an advertisement E.G. Pizza Hut pops up on the screen (possibly when your are close to one)
    and covers up a good part of the active map. This may be the "price you pay" for getting free lifetime Garmin maps but if it's true that would suck.

Again, I'm not 100% sure about this but you may want to check it out. I'd be interested in the answer.
    You're correct on everything said here... Double DIN do fit, but what I had to do was to cut and shave off the sides of middle border plastic frame. From the picture above that you posted, would the piece below the receiver.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I've also been checking out the Crutchfield website and it says that only a single din unit will fit. I know if you try hard enough you make just about anything fit. I am looking to make as little modification as possible to install a double din unit. When you guys say you had to trim a little hear and there to make it fit, are you talking about the structure inside the dash or the outer dash panel that you can see when you are sitting in the seat?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    All the trimming I did was inside the dash. Didn't touch the dash trim.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin Rod View Post
    All the trimming I did was inside the dash. Didn't touch the dash trim.
    That's good to hear. After you trimmed the inner dash did you still have to use a mounting kit to secure the unit in place?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Had to use a mounting kit that attached to sides of HU, then it slid into opening an snapped in place. I believe it was a Metra kit, don't know the part number.

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    I have a similar Double Din that Merlin has...the Pioneer AVN series and love it. All you need is what has been said...the right mounting pieces as they are all not a direct fit.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicHD View Post
    ... But it SCREAMS like a raped monkey at wot