Thread: replaceing coil packs

Name: Byron

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Exclamation replaceing coil packs

took my truck to dealer #1 & 7 packs are bsd not working on high end are they hard to replace they want $485 to fix them i think i can do it myself for less than $100 bucks need a little help from the best

Quote Originally Posted by GRANTBP View Post
    took my truck to dealer #1 & 7 packs are bsd not working on high end are they hard to replace they want $485 to fix them i think i can do it myself for less than $100 bucks need a little help from the best
    anyone out there that can help me

Oki 916's Dad NHTOC #103
    Name: Slick

Liked 60 Times in 49 Posts
    Not the best, but....... Need to decide whether to just replace known bad now or replace all. I had a miss and my local garage changed all 8 for me- was going out of town and didn't have the time to do it myself.
    I think individual coil packs go for anywhere between $40 - $60 so dealer saying he'd do it for $485 seems right to change all.
    4 other thoughts- air compressor to blow the dirt and crap away; 2) back two are a little challenging; 3) have seen posts where it is recommended to coat with dielectric grease to prevent water intrusion and 4) all kinds of opinions on which coil packs are best- my rule of thumb is "you pay for what you get" or is it "Dad pays for what you get"? Oki, that ones for you.

Hope this helps some
    Slick
    "Suffer No Fools"
    "USMC 1968-2004"
    NHTOC #103
    02 DSG, Born 6/18/02, Adopted 12/27/02
    BG Racing Builder- Ford racing short block,
    Trickflow heads, 6# Lower, Magnum Powers Idler Pulley
    Hotchkiss suspension, D-MR Hood Mod, D-MR Cannon Performance Exhaust,
    Stiffler long bars, JLP street intercooler tank, JLP forced air induction,
    KB waiting to be put on.

thanks going to do early tomorrow found the firing order 1 is ft pass side 7 3rd on driver have figer out if i have to take fuel rail off any way i can do this

Man this is expensive!!!
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    you don't need to take the rail off, but it helps to loosen the rail. 7 and 8 as you will find are a PITA. I usually start with those when I am changing plugs just so I can get them out of the way.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I bought mine off of eBay and replaced all 8. I popped my fuel lines loose Just cause it takes a couple minutes a side. I also have no egr so it may have been easier for me. I paid like 140 or 160 for all 8

runs better still banging out checked all vac lines i shout her down this the frist problem i have @90 k had cops & plugs replaced you the works i'am stuck dose the pcm need to be reset

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sport90 View Post
    .... "Dad pays for what you get"? Oki, that ones for you.
    Always!! Its all your fault though...I recall saying "I just found out that Ford is doing a Harley Edition F150 with a supercharger...got to save my money to buy it." Then what happens...Dad (you) call me and say "Hey I got a new truck, guess what it is?"

Hence, the you buy 1...make it 2.

Quote Originally Posted by 2manytrucks View Post
    you don't need to take the rail off, but it helps to loosen the rail. 7 and 8 as you will find are a PITA. I usually start with those when I am changing plugs just so I can get them out of the way.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by GRANTBP View Post
    runs better still banging out checked all vac lines i shout her down this the frist problem i have @90 k had cops & plugs replaced you the works i'am stuck dose the pcm need to be reset
    Ok...so let me see if I can decifer that:

Runs better, but still banging. Checked all vac lines and I shut her down. This is the frist problem I have had and truck is at 90K. Had cops & plugs replaced with the works. I am stuck, does the pcm need to be reset?

I wouldn't think the PCM needs to be reset if you had the plugs & cops replaced. No harm in trying it though.

What do you mean "still banging".? Do you hear a knock?

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    buy a 7mm swivel socket (not a 7mm socket and a swivel, a 7mm swivel socket its all built into one, from sears), and there's NO need to undo the fuel rails.

Quote Originally Posted by oki916 View Post
    Always!! Its all your fault though...I recall saying "I just found out that Ford is doing a Harley Edition F150 with a supercharger...got to save my money to buy it." Then what happens...Dad (you) call me and say "Hey I got a new truck, guess what it is?"

Hence, the you buy 1...make it 2.

+1

Ok...so let me see if I can decifer that:

Runs better, but still banging. Checked all vac lines and I shut her down. This is the frist problem I have had and truck is at 90K. Had cops & plugs replaced with the works. I am stuck, does the pcm need to be reset?

I wouldn't think the PCM needs to be reset if you had the plugs & cops replaced. No harm in trying it though.

What do you mean "still banging".? Do you hear a knock?
    no knock still stalling at times going to change all the plugs out next weekend and see it dose i did'nt change them wiil go with motorcraft because i'am stock this will be the first time i do this so it will be a fun thanks guys for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    buy a 7mm swivel socket (not a 7mm socket and a swivel, a 7mm swivel socket its all built into one, from sears), and there's NO need to undo the fuel rails.
    changed all plugs went for a test drive she's back running great thanks 356 the 7mm swivel socket i got from sears was well worth it thanks guys you never let the old man down

2002 DSG #2788
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Grant, you doing alright?
    I see you have been having issues. I have not been here much lately and I miss it. My truck needs some attention and I am about to get back in the game. Need more power!!!
    2002 DSG #2788

Mfg:4/02 by UAW 249@ KC Missouri plant

Quote Originally Posted by fxstbf150 View Post
    Grant, you doing alright?
    I see you have been having issues. I have not been here much lately and I miss it. My truck needs some attention and I am about to get back in the game. Need more power!!!
    doing fine the plugs were burnt up 2 packs were out my nephew & i changed them yesterday truck runs great know hope you get yours in fixed soon plan to be @ next GTG