Thread: '07 HD/Saleen Supercharger Oil Change

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

'07 HD/Saleen Supercharger Oil Change

I'm at 43K miles on my truck and would like to chnage the supercharger oil. I have the oil (GM Supercharger oil) in hand and identified the drain/fill plug. Do you have to remove the intercooler crossover to have clearance to remove the plug?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Rich

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I completed the chore, not to bad...

Things to have on hand:
    -New thermostat/gasket (195 degree is factory, standard rubber o-ring type gasket)
    -Antifreeze/water mix
    -3 bottles (4 oz. each) supercharger oil, I used GM
    -Suction device, I used a MightyVac...it worked nicely (AutoZone)
    -10mmx12mm Flexible Line Wrench, Duralast, part number 79-130 (you'll need this to get one of the bolts off the crossover, get it at AutoZone)
    -Screw down hose clamps, for the radiator hoses (optional)
    -10mm wrench/socket
    -8mm hex wrench
    -Clamp pliers, to remove the clamps on the radiator hoses

Let's Begin:
    Your objective is to move everything out of the way so that you can remove the crossover and ultimately get to the 8mm hex head plug to suction out the old supercharger oil and put in new.

-start by lifting the truck enough to get a container under to catch the antifreeze, then put a 1.5' long hose on the drain port at the bottom/pax side of the radiator. Loosen the white drain plug until fluid begins to flow from the hose.
    -now take off the antifreeze reservoir cap, fluid will flow a little quicker
    -while it's draining, remove the intake tubing (remove the bolt holding it down, it slides out of the front of the intake, loosen the flathead clamp from the other side to pull it off). This refers to the section of plastic that runs into your engine intake.
    -On the driver's side of the intake you'll have to remove a vacuum hose and a plug going into the intake to maneuver around
    -Loosen the fuel rail at the front bolt, you don't need to remove the bolt...just loosen it so that you can lift the rail. you'll need to do this to remove the thermostat housing.
    -after the fluid stops draining move your container around to catch fluid as you unhook radiator hoses.
    -Additionally, I drained the intercooler and reservoir, you'll want to remove the intercooler lines. You'll need to, to remove the crossover.

-Let's rehash, you've drained your radiator. You've removed the intake tubing. You've drained the intercooler and removed/unhooked the intercooler lines. You've unhooked a vacuum line and a plug on the driver's side of the intake. You've removed the upper radiator hose.
    Now we're at the crossover and thermostat housing.

-Remove the two bolts that hold the thermostat housing and place to the side. If you loosened the fuel rail enough, you'll be able to lift it just enough to maneuver the housing over the thermostat and under the rail. Set the housing to the side.

-Remove the four 10mm bolts holding the coolant crossover. I was able to get three with a standard wrench. The fourth, driver's side under the intake manifold needs the 10mm flexible line wrench. It's $15 at autozone, but does the job nicely. When you have all the bolts loose, remove the crossover. Don;t be to rough with it, there are gasket on the bottom side that you'll reuse. The thermostat is still installed...you can easily remove it and the gasket after it's off the truck. Use a towel, old shirt, etc. to mop up any antifreeze/water sitting around so you don't contaminate the supercharger when you remove the plug.

Now we're at the hex head to remove the supercharger oil. Mine was an 8mm hex, in my research, others mentioned using a 6mm on their Saleen superchargers on various vehicles (mustangs, S331s). I used a standard hex wrench to remove the plug, their is a rubber o-ring on the plug when you remove it ( I reused it after the refill) .I used a MightyVac ($34 at Autozone) to suction the oil. After using various attachments, I was able to get out about 10 ounces of oil. It was a dark brown color, definitely in need of a change. I refilled with the supercharger oil, which is clear, to the bottom of the threads as Saleen's instruction mention. Replace the plug with o-ring.

-Now that I've replaced the oil and sealed the supercharger back-up, I utilized a hose to flush out the intercooler and radiator. I ran water through the block until it came out clear. The bottom hose was removed from the radiator. I didn't use a standard drain, remove the thermostat, rehook the hose and flush process...my primary purpose was changing the oil in the supercharger. I could be more thorough with the flush...but am happy with the condition of the antifreeze for the winter.

-I now replaced the crossover. After it was reinstalled, I put the thermostat and gasket in. Next I reinstalled the housing and put the vacuum line and plug back on the driver's side of the intake. Then I rehooked/reinstalled all the intercooler hoses and radiator hoses. Tighten the drain on the pax side, lower radiator...easy on this, it's plastic.

-Fill the intercooler with an 80distilled water/20 antifreeze mix (Saleen's instructions), I use 50/50 in the radiator.

-Once I ensured all was buttoned up, I started the truck. The supercharger had a pretty good whine on initial start-up, but then went back to silent. I watched as the intercooler pump began to cycle and added more water to top it off...same with the radiator reservoir.

It took me about 2 hours to complete, not to bad with the MighyVac and Flexible Line Wrench.

V/r,

Rich
    Last edited by HawkPilot; 11-13-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Name: Ulisses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice guide!! I'm glad you got the task accomplished. Sorry that no one responded to your thread though when you posted it. It seems a lot 08 owners aren't on here. It seems like that even for the 02-03 ttucks, there isn't a lot going either. But none the less, glad you got everything figured out

Name: C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the write up Rich. I am at 46k and will be doing this very soon.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    No problem, I hope my simple write up helps you out. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Rich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Much needed help

I am in the process of doing my change out now...However, I was only able to siphon only 8oz of oil. I though that the charger just may have been low....but I was only able to refill with 8 0z of oil???

Are we capable of getting all 16oz out? I was also able to snake almost 10" of hose into the charger but no more than 8oz came out.

I used a Mighty vac pump to siphon.

Thanks for any responses.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I was only able to get 10 ounces out. In my research, that's what most got out. The only way I found that would allow you to get more would be to remove the charger.

V/r,

Rich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks Rich for taking the time to respond. I wound up just refilling the case which was full with approx. 8oz of new fluid and buttoned everything back up. After a test ride, everything is good. As a simple process it was, I'll tackle it again some other time and see if I have any better luck.