Thread: Need a little help from you Audio guru's

Lone Star State
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Need a little help from you Audio guru's

I just installed a Kenwood DDX-418 head unit and it only has 4 rca outputs.
    Two of the outputs are being used by my amp for the sub. I have a 4 channel amp that I want to run the door speakers with.... but, only have 2 rca outputs when I need 4 for my 4 channel amp.. any ideas?

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    As you are aware, the head unit has 2 sets of outputs, front and rear/sub. Unfortunately the rear/sub output is an either or. I would use it for the sub as you mentioned. To drive your door speakers, I believe you have 2 options. Use 2 "Y" adaptors and split the front output and use your amps level adjustment to set fade. Or my choice would be to drive the rear speakers off the head unit and keep the ability to adjust fade from the head unit. And if your 4 channel amp has the ability to bridge you can send more power to the fronts.
    Kenne Bell 2.6 - JLP Forced Air Induction - MAFia - JLP Thunder Tube - 60 lb Injectors - Kenne Bell Boost A Pump - Afco Heat Exchanger - Walbro 255 Fuel Pumps - Accufab SBTB - Denso Plugs - JLP IC Reservoir - PI Stall Converter - Weapon X cops - Factory Tech Valve Body - JLP Comp R Exhaust - QA1 Shocks - Beltech Drop Springs - PST CF Driveshaft - Flex Form Fiberglass Leafs - JLP Shackles - Hotchkis Sway Bars - JLP Traction Bars - RotorPro Brakes - Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges - DiabloSport Predator - JLP Dyno Tune - Detroit Truetrac - Forte and Grabbers - Bogarts and Hoosiers

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    ^^^^^ that would be what i would do given the situation. here is another twist, if you are installing front component speakers you can run the tweeter off 2 ch and the woofer off the other 2ch. most amps now days have an ability to drive all 4 ch from one set, or they have an output. here is another thing does this 4 ch amp have high inputs? those would connect right off of your head units speaker wires.

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tpr103 View Post
    ^^^^^ that would be what i would do given the situation. here is another twist, if you are installing front component speakers you can run the tweeter off 2 ch and the woofer off the other 2ch. most amps now days have an ability to drive all 4 ch from one set, or they have an output. here is another thing does this 4 ch amp have high inputs? those would connect right off of your head units speaker wires.
    Also there are speaker level to line level adaptors but they typically degrade sound quality.

Formerly "mlelsafe"
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    You could also get a basic 4ch electronic crossover with sub output that will combine L/R internally for the sub output. They are also nice because you can limit the amount of bass that the door speakers get so they don't bottom out when you're playing it loud. Low end ones start around $30, you can get a nicer one for $100+ but even a basic one will usually do a nice job.

If the budget is tight, the Y adapters or driving the rears off the head unit as suggested above is a good solution.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The other thing to look into if the Kenwood unit allows you to cut bass out of main speakers is try HU power for speakers. If Kenwood is any thing like Pioneer it's amazing how loud and clear main speakers sound without bass going to them. Just my 2 cents to add to the list of ways to try, best part is it costs only time to try it.
    Black '02
    #00946 Built March 2002
    Innovations hard cover, Line-X bed liner, PIAA Extreme white plus headlight bulbs.
    Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD HU with Pioneer 2way 6x8 bullit proof speakers.
    Hankook Ventus 295/45/20

Lone Star State
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tpr103 View Post
    I don't see anything that says high outputs. The 4 channel amp is a Alpine MRF-F450 if that helps? link with pictures of outputs Alpine MRP-F450 (mrpf450) 4-Channel Amplifier - Sonic Electronix

A Memphis Audio pr 200.2 amp (I think is underpowering the sub)

I do have front component speakers (Hertz HSK 165) Think I'm going to replace them. And Kenwood 6x8 in the rear doors and the JL audio Stealthbox for the rear console.

Sorry for all the goofy questions.. Just so out of touch with the car audio market.. last time I was in it I had 2-15" M&M Godfathers powered by a few PPI ProMos art series amps. Man I'm old

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I remember the art series amps, we installed 5 or 6 in friends mini truck for competition. I also remember installing lots of godfather speakers back in the day. I understand about being out of touch with car audio.

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    you do have high level inputs on that amp. in the pic it says speaker level input and looks like you need a connector for it.

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    I believe it was discussed putting two "Y's". If you decide to go that route...I might suggest putting 'em on the L/R rear output then send it to the sub from there. Just a thought.