Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: lowering my 2003 hd

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lowering my 2003 hd

hi guys i am from ireland and have just got my hd 2003 truck ! the truck is super clean and has 34000 miles on the clock. this is my first truck and want to lower it around 3 " front and 3" rear . will i have to noch the rear to do this? whats a good way to go about this are kit to buy ? hope you can help johnny

i will try and get some pics of my truck on here for you to see her ! let me know what you think .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by john mulholland; 12-07-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Former Owner of 03 #8186
    Name: Adam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    beautiful truck man! i like those wheels too. I think you can get away with a 3/5 drop and not have any issues, may have to go with a lower profile tire in front. a 3/5 will give you the drop you want and level it out nice.

Sent using Tapatalk while fake vacationing at Sandals Resort

2003 Black #08186

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    is that the drop on yours ? you got any photos ? had you to mod the chassis

Former Owner of 03 #8186
    Name: Adam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    no I still sit stock, but there are some around, im sure someone will chime in.

Name: David

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the way I dropped mine was to put the 3 inch shakles on the rear and then I bought a used set of coil springs for a 2000 supercab regular v-8 Ford pick-up from a wrecking yard for 30 bucks, cut 1 and a quarter coils off of them and that dropped the front about 2.5 inches, just right for me as I live in the rural Texas small towns and the roads are just not that great, whole deal cost about 100 bucks, I did it myself, and I also added new L-Spec Bilstein shocks, which were another 70 bucks each at AutoZone .lifetime warranty, they are alot stiffer than factory but with the cut coil springs I didnt want the truck to get bouncy on me, I love the ride it's super tight and was cost effective, . One day I may add the rear spring hanger kit, but thats a pretty rough job for a weekend by yourself unless you've got a shop set-up. None the less, I like the way mines running right now. Nice truck....good luck!

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    These are hard to get and I don't think they make them anymore but if you can find someone parting out their truck, look for a used Hotchkis TVS system. This comes with front and rear springs and sway bars. Our trucks are already 1 inch lower than regular F150 trucks and this drops it another 2/3 inches too.

Another alternative is to look at some BellTech spindles and Russlow coils for the front and maybe removing one leaf from the rear springs. There are various combo's in the suspension thread so you'll just have to read through and figure out which one suits your mechanical abilities or wallet. Some ways involve modifying stuff while other methods you just buy the part outright.

I definitely think if you want to go more than a 4.5-5 inch drop in the rear it will involve a C-notch in the rear chassis. A lot of work in my opinion.

PiMpInDaSoUtH!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If I was to do things over again on my 03 2tone, I would go with lower/upper control arms to get your drop. You won't have alignment issues, keep a stock like ride yet better handling.... AND CHANGE your shocks. Don't know your purpose of racing or what but I would consider grabbing some adjustable QA1's and you'll be thanking me later!
    FOR THE REAR: 4-link her or you could take a leaf out the packs and install JLP drop shackles and make a 2"-4" drop. ALSO A SECRET FOR YA, the back passenger rear shock mount can be flipped around so your shocks are mounted both to the back for better traction and better 60' times, BUT you will want traction bars due to wheel hop. Hope everything works out perfect for ya!

Sent from iPad2 using Tapatalk!
    Last edited by DATS TTRAH!; 01-20-2012 at 01:41 PM.
    2009 seadoo RXP-X riva waterbox with rude rear exhaust outlet, Rude upgraded bigger supercharger, riva sponsons, fuel pressure regulatoR, RIVA pro blocks, riva rear air, solas prop, custom riva racing ECM, intercooler upgrade, intercooler relocation bracket,60lb injectors

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I used the 2" lowering spindles, 2" rear hangers, and smaller gas shocks all the way around. still a very smooth ride and no issues with uneven tire wear.
    22" wheels

Good luck with yours

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Hi John! Welcome to NHTOC!

A 2-4 drop will get you lower and "even" the "stance" of the truck. Drop spindles in front will facilitate true 2" w/o additional requirement. Note that it is best to install camber bolts and "clunk washers" ... regardless of stock configuration or any front suspension mods.

Using Belltech leafs (Hotchkis are NLA) will lower the rear by 2". Such leafs combined with LFP shackles will result in very close to 3.75" lower in rear. Shock extenders are a MUST for ALL lowered rear suspension/shock application!

This will get you to where you want to be with least impact relative to ride/comfort/alignment/cost. Remember that key issue is SHOCKS! ... again, relative to your personal ride preference.

Anything beyond a 2-4 suspension drop will require significantly more suspension and/or chassis modification.

BTW, you have a VERY nice looking truck! ... ensure that you install an oil separator on it!!
    Last edited by '02 H-D #677; 02-09-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Boost Addict
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have Belltech springs in front, Belltech leafs and Belltech shackles on 2" setting in the rear. KTB Monomax shocks spec'ed for a Lightning with a 4" drop all the way around. No C-notch and no evidence of it ever hitting the bump stops (no dirt/marks on them) even after pulling a trailer or putting a load in the bed.

Just in comparison to other trucks I think Im at about a 4.25-4.5" rear drop.

My fronts are cambered about 1.5* to keep it from scraping, but it really doesnt wear front tires bad at all. I put the front tires on at 31k miles, drop on at 42k, truck has 67k now and the front tires are just now about due to be replaced. If you make sure your alignment is perfect, not just "within spec" you will get a lot more life out of your tires.

Name: Jerry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trike5 View Post
    I used the 2" lowering spindles, 2" rear hangers, and smaller gas shocks all the way around. still a very smooth ride and no issues with uneven tire wear.
    22" wheels

Good luck with yours

Need more pics.. Great looking truck man!!

Junior Boost Lover
    Name: Sean

Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Im on 2"f 3"r drop.

Name: Christopher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    so with ur guys's 2/3 drop u dont hit the bump stops? is it a smooth ride?

Junior Boost Lover
    Name: Sean

Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    I trimmed my bump stops. I like the ride. Its kinda firm on the stock shocks.

dragginNCrds
    Name: Will

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    damn sean.. where u find that old *** gas station at ?? i kno it aint around here...

~Will
    2002 DSG Harley on 22's ~ build#01450 SOLD
    NHTOC TOTM August 2012

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast