Thread: Stereo Purchase Recommendations

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stereo Purchase Recommendations

I need to replace my old ALPINE Head Unit. I'd like something that has a HUD display with Navigation, Back Up Camera, Bluetooth, Ipod/USB, and DVD. I've looked at ALPINE and PIONEER so far. I know some of our members also have KENWOOD. Please post up your thoughts and recommendations. All the rest of my components (speakers and 6 disk changer) are ALPINE but I do like the PIONEER AVIC model head units I've seen so far.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    I have had a pioneer avic f700bt for a few years in my truck and it was great a few years ago, but I wouldn't recommend one today.

I use it now as a glorified volume knob.

I run the (free) Waze gps app on my iphone for turn-by-turn (free live traffic, police hiding spots, red-light camera's, routes you around traffic when navigating, etc). And I use stitcher, pandora, or sirius on my iphone for playing music / talk radio / sports / am/fm stations.

ymmv, but my phone's interface is faster, easier to read, easier to get to different functions, and constantly updated.

my avic also takes about a minute to *boot* when starting the truck before the interface is usable, so if you want to hop in the truck and punch in an address to navigate to you get to sit there and twiddle your thumbs for a minute waiting.

just my .02, but I'm never buying a car stereo again, just need a nice charging dock and aux-input in my car for my phone from now on ;)

dragginNCrds
    Name: Will

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Pioneer now makes a head unit thats called App Radio.. where you plug ur IPHONE into it and use all ur apps on the iPhone on the radio... its nice and works really good.. but i don't got a iPhone so no good for me.. i run a Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD but it don't have half the stuff u listed.. i primarily use it for XM radio and DVDs but I'm adding a backup camera soon as soon as i get off my lazy but and put it in..

~Will
    2002 DSG Harley on 22's ~ build#01450 SOLD
    NHTOC TOTM August 2012

needs more cowbell!
    Name: Sheridan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    AppRadio now supports Android! I have not seen this until now. Thanks for the info.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    I used to have a heads up display on my superchargered 2003 Pontiac Bonneville and I think the newer GTP's and GTO's have it too.

Maybe this kit can do something for you?

Car HUD Display Navigation, GPS Kit

dragginNCrds
    Name: Will

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steinjr View Post
    AppRadio now supports Android! I have not seen this until now. Thanks for the info.
    i didnt kno app radio now supported android.. maby ill be upgrading to the app radio int he near furture

htorano
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Check out JVC's AVX-740. It can do everything you say you need