Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lowered 02/03s with 22s

dragginNCrds
    Name: Will

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    i have 305/40/22s and they rub at stock height.. so I'm stepping down to a 265/40 22 thats the proper size for the factory 20-22 up size.. i at least want to level mine out.. but i don't want to do 35 ser because i want to tow with it...

~Will
    2002 DSG Harley on 22's ~ build#01450 SOLD
    NHTOC TOTM August 2012

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    by chance do any of you guys who lowered your trucks still have your STOCK front coil springs? I want to raise mine up a little (it has lowering springs in front), i plan to be towing a bit too.
    Tim

Name: WILL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got my Dueces wrapped in.........,

I did a 2/3 drop with my 22's. I would have gone with a 2/4 drop but I didn't want the rear too low...., (I keep telling myself that 1 day I'm gonna use the bed like a REAL truck and carry a heavy load). In that case I didn't want any rubbing in the back. I've got a staggard tire set up: 285/40/22 in the front 305/40/22 in the rear. Tried the 305s in the front but the rub was too much when I hit bumps. Or made sharp turns.

Actually, there is still some rub when I make sharp turns. Not on the truck frame, but on my JLP RAM intake. The scoop hose runs up near the driver front wheel well and the tire rubs against it with sharp right turns. Overall the set up is cool for me.

1 Bakersfield-20101024-00018.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ^^^Nice. What suspension setup are you running?

Name: James

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Damn, the more I see these threads, the more I need to start finding deals on some staggered 22's. I just bought my truck today (down in Puyallup) and these narrow stock 20's running 255's just aren't cutting it for traction at all...I'm running 255F and 315R on my X5 and it surely doesn't need the added width like these trucks do. The stock suspension sucks as well, so lowering seems to also be necessary. Anyone running spacers to get the wheels dead flush w/ the fenders?

Boost Addict
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m5james View Post
    Damn, the more I see these threads, the more I need to start finding deals on some staggered 22's. I just bought my truck today (down in Puyallup) and these narrow stock 20's running 255's just aren't cutting it for traction at all...I'm running 255F and 315R on my X5 and it surely doesn't need the added width like these trucks do. The stock suspension sucks as well, so lowering seems to also be necessary. Anyone running spacers to get the wheels dead flush w/ the fenders?
    I dont recommend running spacers on trucks with the torque these things have.

Personally I tow too much and dont want to be removing and reinstalling spacers every time I tow, or go to the track. I admit Im also paranoid about shearing my studs off and having a wheel run away from me, lol.

If you do decide to do spacers make sure to get forged (not cast) and torque them often!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    This is just me talking from inexperience w/ these trucks then, but it sounds like I need to do something like 2" drop in the front, then maybe bag the rear...but from what I understand, bagging will also ruin the ride. I was about to buy another M5, but the more sensible (because a supercharged pickup is sensible, right!) side of me realized I'll eventually need something that can tow more than the 3500lb limit the X5 is capable of. I wrote the guy who sold me my 20's for my X5 to see what kind of options he has for this truck. I like the look of the stock and rep wheels, but I'm not a fan of chrome or the price tag these 22" reps seem to pull pricewise. Knowing I could have gone staggered 22's on the X5 in the same style wheel I have now for $1700 w/ tires, it's hard to bit the bullet on spending around $1300 more for a truck (F150 in general) that is far mass produced than an X5...I would have though I'd at least be paying the same or less for a 22" wheel setup on this truck.

Boost Addict
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    This is just me talking from inexperience w/ these trucks then, but it sounds like I need to do something like 2" drop in the front, then maybe bag the rear...but from what I understand, bagging will also ruin the ride. I was about to buy another M5, but the more sensible (because a supercharged pickup is sensible, right!) side of me realized I'll eventually need something that can tow more than the 3500lb limit the X5 is capable of. I wrote the guy who sold me my 20's for my X5 to see what kind of options he has for this truck. I like the look of the stock and rep wheels, but I'm not a fan of chrome or the price tag these 22" reps seem to pull pricewise. Knowing I could have gone staggered 22's on the X5 in the same style wheel I have now for $1700 w/ tires, it's hard to bit the bullet on spending around $1300 more for a truck (F150 in general) that is far mass produced than an X5...I would have though I'd at least be paying the same or less for a 22" wheel setup on this truck.
    The clincher is that fact the X5 bolt pattern (5x120) will fit x3, x5, e60 m5, m6, and a couple land rovers.

The wheels for these trucks fit the F150, Expedition, and Navigator from 97-03. Thats it.

Most wheel manufacturers ditched this platform years ago and are pretty much selling old stock at this point (hence why 22 reps have almost doubled in price). If your looking for a relatively cheap set of 22's that look really good, pretty much the only other wheels I would put on my truck are the Boss 335's. You can get a set in 22x9 for about a grand.

If you really want the 22 reps I might be putting mine up for sale. I just have to grow some balls and pull the trigger on some 3 piece or monoblock forged wheels.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Those are good looking wheels...I wonder what they weigh compared to the 22" reps. Only 9" wide though...w/ this much power, I'm surprised were not on 10's and 11's! PM me when the day comes that you're balls drop and you decide to sell your wheels ;)

In keeping w/ a stock look,. Not sure about the rim width, but the tires are a little wider - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-FORD-HARLE...sories&vxp=mtr

Even though I'm not doing a very good job of trying to get away from all this chrome, I like the look of these as well, but I'd really have to see them on the truck to make a decision - http://www.ebay.com/itm/22-MENZARI-Z...sories&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by m5james; 05-21-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Boost Addict
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Those are good looking wheels...I wonder what they weigh compared to the 22" reps. Only 9" wide though...w/ this much power, im surprised were not on 10's and 11's!
    I completely agree. My truck spins the 22's like it did the 20's with the oem 5 year old, hard as a rock GT2's.

That why Im looking to go with a custom wheel. 11's in the rear with 9's in the front. BIG money for the ones I want though...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CHYLL View Post
    I did a 2/3 drop with my 22's. I would have gone with a 2/4 drop but I didn't want the rear too low...., (I keep telling myself that 1 day I'm gonna use the bed like a REAL truck and carry a heavy load). In that case I didn't want any rubbing in the back. I've got a staggard tire set up: 285/40/22 in the front 305/40/22 in the rear. Tried the 305s in the front but the rub was too much when I hit bumps. Or made sharp turns.

Actually, there is still some rub when I make sharp turns. Not on the truck frame, but on my JLP RAM intake. The scoop hose runs up near the driver front wheel well and the tire rubs against it with sharp right turns. Overall the set up is cool for me.

1 Bakersfield-20101024-00018.jpg
    I'm assuming there wheels aren't staggered though? How does the sidewall bulge look comparing the front and rear since you're running different widths?

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OGmackPLRcool View Post
    I completely agree. My truck spins the 22's like it did the 20's with the oem 5 year old, hard as a rock GT2's.

That why Im looking to go with a custom wheel. 11's in the rear with 9's in the front. BIG money for the ones I want though...
    What width(s) are you running? It'd suck, but I figure the best way for me to go (since I don't wanna spend obscene amounts of money on forged) is to instead blow my money slowly at 20k increments on stickier tires. The X5 is running some off-brand called Atturo, and they do great...but the X is also AWD, so that has a lot to do w/ it.

I even went by my mom's place lastnight and drove her little 328ci around, and that thing feels like it has the same acceleration as the HD, but not a bit of wheel spin until I turn the traction off. I know it's slower, but the point is, the wheel spin is a blessing and a curse when driving this truck.

I'm NOT an electronics nanny kinda guy (part of the reason why I love the hand-built E34 M5's vs the newer breeds), but has anyone ever added on an aftermarket traction control unit that'll back the throttle off when the wheels spin? I'm guessing no since these trucks are still throttle cables vs drive-by-wire.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    the best traction control device in the world is muscle memory and using the throttle like a dial, and not like an on/off switch.
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I understand the on/off switch, but I'm driving away from lights like a grandmother. It's literally everywhere I go...driving slow, or *** is out and I'm backing off the throttle to get going again. I'll start w/ wider meat back there and work from there, but a dinky 255 is far too narrow for these trucks.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    I understand the on/off switch, but I'm driving away from lights like a grandmother. It's literally everywhere I go...driving slow, or *** is out and I'm backing off the throttle to get going again. I'll start w/ wider meat back there and work from there, but a dinky 255 is far too narrow for these trucks.
    wow 255? stock size is 275/45r20.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast