Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Did the L shock swap

Name: James

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind View Post
    judging by the looks of that stock bumpstop in your rear picture, your truck does'nt have lowering shackles in the back?

If you get a set of JLP lowering shackles you can drop it 2-3-4" and it's easy to change heights.

another thing you'll want if you lower the rear to level the truck is some shock extenders for the rear which just allow the shock to be more in their intended middle point when the truck is static.

I've moved my rear shackles into the middle hole since that first shot and the truck sits pretty level -
    I'd just like the truck level, because as it sits stock, it definately has some rake. The JLP shackles are adjustable, which I assume makes them more expensive vs extenders which are set it and forget it. Will the extenders get me dead level though? I should have done it on Sunday, but I've been meaning to measure the ride height from the ground to the bottom lip of the fender front vs rear to determine how much drop I need to get it exactly level.

Ultimately my plan is to get a set off 22's that are a better offset, staggered w/ slightly wider front and definately wider rears...I figure if my 282HP X5 has 275f/315r staggered, the HD w/ upwards of 450HP should have at least the same widths, if not more. Until I get the offset correct on the wheels where theyre flush w/ the fenders vs sunken inwards like they are now, I don't think I'll have any room for lowering the truck in the front, so I'd at least like to make it level.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TMOY2000 View Post
    also, why in the world are nitro drop lowered shocks on a non-lowered pick-up.hmmmmmmmm somethings not right in ......
    I read Tim Skelton's site, which is what prompted me to choose the solid Hellwig vs the hollow Hotchkis sway bars. I'm not looking to road race the truck, but even after the swaybars and shocks, it's still got too much roll for my taste.

While the HD (around 5900) and my X5 (around 5500) have similar curb weights, the ride is night and day! I know the Ford will never drive like a BMW, but that's what I was in hopes of w/ this recent installation of sway bars and shocks. Don't get me wrong, it's way better than what it is, but it's still no BMW. With the X5, I can feel every little bump in the road, but it's not harsh. If I hit a speed bump, recessed pothole, etc it just takes it and isn't jolted at all by it. The HD definitely has more road feel now, it's better in the corners than it was before, but if I hit a pothole, the whole truck feels like all of it's plastic panels are rattling and everything takes a hit. I know this also comes down to build quality, it's a simple fact, but I'd hoped for more. I drove the X5 today and it's just amazing how tight it is for a 2001 w/ 135k on the clock, yet an hour later I was back in the HD, loose steering, panel rattle, road noise, etc...but they're two different beasts.

As for the lowering shocks on the back, I wondered the exact same thing. This truck has had an interesting history...one of the PO's said he was told the upper end of the engine was replaced, but I've got no documented proof. After doing the suspension this weekend, I discovered someone must have had larger rims on here at one point since there were rub marks on the frame rails. It had the drop shocks in the back, but it's bone stock otherwise, so he must have removed the stuff and sold it...yet he left in a 7" motorized stereo and a JL sub-woofer in the rear console Who knows, but I've started fresh and am trying to give it a clean bill of health by refreshing everything so it's got a clean slate.
    Last edited by m5james; 07-18-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    if you have panel rattles I think somebody took the truck apart in a rush and broke some clips or didn't put it back together correctly, especially if there's signs of an audio upgrade. Broken clips in any brand of car will make it ride like a hoopty.

there's no panel rattle in my truck, I thought I had some for a couple weeks but it turns out my wife left her sunglass case in the pocket on the passengers door...lol
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I've got the old pigtails for the fog lights in the glove box that I need to throw away since getting the Escape fog lights, so I know those rattling around aren't helping. I also have plans to sound deaden the interior...it's another 70lbs to the interior, but it's something I'm willing to do since I want this thing to be comfortable interior wise to drive as well for when I may take this on road trips.
    2002 HD F150 DSG #01235

Powertrain: Unknown tune, 6lb lower running 13-15lbs, TR5IX's @ .36, BA2400 MAF, deleted precats/Magnaflow postcats, K&N filter w/ heatshield, L&S separator, rebuilt 4R100 w/ shift kit. Plans - KB2.3, BA2400, 255's, TR6IX's, new tune!
    Interior: Harley custom mats F&R, Glowshift 7 color LED boost gauge. Plans - 3M Di-NOC wrapped in graphite carbon fiber, LED conversion, sound deadener
    Exterior: Debadged, N-Dure bedcover w/ hidden snaps, Escape foglights w/ 3M film, hidden hitch w/ flipdown license plate
    Entertainment: BZ1370 deck, JL 10W3v2-D2 in rear console
    Suspension:Hellwig 7626/7621 F&R swaybars w/ Lightning Bilstein shocks

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m5james View Post
    I'd just like the truck level, because as it sits stock, it definately has some rake. The JLP shackles are adjustable, which I assume makes them more expensive vs extenders which are set it and forget it. Will the extenders get me dead level though? I should have done it on Sunday, but I've been meaning to measure the ride height from the ground to the bottom lip of the fender front vs rear to determine how much drop I need to get it exactly level.

Ultimately my plan is to get a set off 22's that are a better offset, staggered w/ slightly wider front and definately wider rears...I figure if my 282HP X5 has 275f/315r staggered, the HD w/ upwards of 450HP should have at least the same widths, if not more. Until I get the offset correct on the wheels where theyre flush w/ the fenders vs sunken inwards like they are now, I don't think I'll have any room for lowering the truck in the front, so I'd at least like to make it level.
    Shock extenders don't have anything to do with lowering your truck. They are needed to allow the shock the extra travel similar to factory specs after lowering the truck. You will still need the shackles in order to lower the truck. The JLP ones are nice because they have multiple holes which allow you to adjust to the level you like vs. some of the other brands that only have one hole and one setting.
    Last edited by cayman150; 07-18-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Good to know, now to find a nice used set of each on the classifieds.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    So I put the truck on level ground today and did some measuring. For the front, from the ground to the bottom of the wheel well I got 31" on both sides. For the rear, I got 32". Based on the fact that I only need 1" drop in the rear to get level, does that mean I can get away w/ the FRPP shackles (which are being sold all over the forums) and would I still need the Belltech shackles since I'm not doing the average 3" drop that most others have done? I don't know why mine is sitting different then everyone elses, but it is what it is.
    Last edited by m5james; 07-19-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Man this is expensive!!!
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    for 1 inch I would drive it and let it settle.
    2002 HD F150 (Sold)
    DSG 7332
    6# lower, JLP Ram Air CAI, L&S Oil Sep, Brisk plugs, Accufab SBTB, LFP ported plenum, Hankook Ventus RH06, Hotchkis TVS, Hotchkis-spec Bilsteins, Rotorpros dimpled and slotted, PFZ pads, Ford Motorsports boost gauge, JLP chromed trac bars, Magnaflow Catback (L-style exit), Bassani Hi-flow mid pipes, Venom Mod, Navi chrome base with billet antenna, L tails, Access Limited tonneau cover, Ford HD bug deflector, Blackwood window trim.

Tuned by Torrie!

Mods on the horizon:
    BTS Tranny
    Whipple/KB
    Stage 2 heads
    Built lower

2005 PSD F-350
    True Blue 272
    Bone Stock

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I just did the shocks and swaybars on Sunday, I'd imagine it's settled by now. I know from reading on here that the 03's sat a little higher, but I've still seen 01's and 02's w/ more rake. I've already got a line on some shock extenders and the FRPP shackles, but I'm just wondering if I'm going to need one or both to get that additional inch, assuming the truck has already settled.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by m5james View Post
    I just did the shocks and swaybars on Sunday, I'd imagine it's settled by now. I know from reading on here that the 03's sat a little higher, but I've still seen 01's and 02's w/ more rake. I've already got a line on some shock extenders and the FRPP shackles, but I'm just wondering if I'm going to need one or both to get that additional inch, assuming the truck has already settled.
    Depending on how you like the ride of your truck will be the determining factor for you getting shock extenders. If your truck is too low the shock travel will be limited and kind of firm. If you want to free it up some more and get a bit more comfort in the ride the shock extenders will adjust the lower mounting point of the shock down a bit lower which in turn will allow for a bit more travel in the shock which in theory should give you a little softer ride.

This is my interpretation of how it works. The extenders have nothing to do with the ride height of the truck.

You can go with just the shackles first to see if that gets you the xtra inch you're looking for. If you then find out you don't like the ride quality you can then get the extenders to sort that out too.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I wouldn't complain if the truck was a little tighter. Since the FRPP shackles are readily available here on the forums w/ a 1-2" drop, and considering I've got 1" to go, I'll just start w/ the shackles. Hell, for all I know I may already have shackles under there since the PO had drop shocks installed...until I started searching here, I didn't know what they looked like If they're already installed, then I need to hurry up and get the hangers before these shocks blow out. The new shocks make the truck ride so much better than before, now I just need to get level.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    So today I got a free 1" drop while adding another 130HP to the truck...

Seriously though...decided to run by the parents place to check-in and say hey, washed some cars and checked under the truck while I was at it to find this shackle under there. I'm not sure if it's stock and/or if it has the adjustability I need to get another 1" w/o the bike loaded in the back, but if this is a lowering shackles, then I'm going to need to get the shock extenders after all.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    not stock and its tapped out for drop on the settings it is at....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    K, so I've already got lowering shackles then...I'm ok w/ that. So if I want the extra inch, I'm gonna need a set of JLP's.

It's probably better safe than sorry and I should go ahead and get the shock extenders so these shocks don't blow out like the last set. Unfortunately, that also means the ride will get softer in the back.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3