Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New car ideas

Name: Sean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New car ideas

I need some input guys. I've been looking to take the daily driver miles off of my truck for a while and for the 1st time since my divorce I can afford to get a second car to do that. I'm looking at a 4 door car that's fun to drive and gets good gas mileage. My budget is around 25k

My first choice would be to wait for the Focus ST. A buddy of mine who works at a Ford dealership is keeping me in the loop as to when they can expect shipment but other than what I can find online, he has no other information. He thinks beginning of summer The starting price from what i've been reading will be around
    27k. I hope with my ford connection I could get it for less but since it's a new model I anticipate ford marking up the price on this car.

I've also looked at the Mazdaspeed 3. It's turbocharged and rated at 263hp and 280ft lbs torque. These cars are great cars to drive both on the street and on the track. I can find a brand new one loaded for around 23k.

If anyone else can make some suggestions, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    05-07 Caddy CTS-V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SCBQQSTN View Post
    05-07 Caddy CTS-V
    Didn't think about that. But now maybe a G8 could be an option as well. I'll check those out too.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am a true ford guy but the 2012 dodge rt gets 18 city and 25 highway, keeping in mind that its a 4dr sedan, 370 hp. Not so bad when u dont want a slow car and good miles. My dad for some reason (ford fan as well) picked one up the other day for himself. gave it to me to test drive it and some old lady t-boned me. the old lady ****ed up her lexus and the dodge was still pretty good. after that he told me i now own a dodge charger rt. ill let u know how it drives when i get it back from the shop. lol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not a Dodge fan even though the power from the SRT-8 engines are pretty sweet.

Another option i'll look at is the Suby WRX. The STi is out of my range but the WRX is AWD and has decent power as well.

I <3 Mini trucks
    Name:

Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
    I drove a mazdaspeed 6 the other day, it was pretty freaking awesome. 17k also.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaHarley View Post
    Not a Dodge fan even though the power from the SRT-8 engines are pretty sweet.

Another option i'll look at is the Suby WRX. The STi is out of my range but the WRX is AWD and has decent power as well.
    Sean, I was going to suggest the Suby STi as my son just sold his. He also had a EVO VIII before that. They both had 300+ HP and drove like go-karts.

I prefer the rear wheel drive feel on the autocross course, probably because it is what is most familiar. I've amateur raced all 3 FWD, RWD and AWD and there are tricks in the trade to driving each. RWD is definately the most fun as AWD is a bit boring because it doesn't slip as much. I hated the understeer and unless you are on a full blown road course the normal autocross courses are usually too small to get very dramtic with Scandinavian flicks to get the back to come around.

The MazdaSpeed 3 is FWD so suspension mods will have to be done to lessen the understeer too. The FWD guys here would post better times on a loose track but as soon as the track got sticky rubber on it the RWD guys could outperform them. The Miata is RWD and is just a blast to drive but would probably need some help in the engine dept. like a SC or turbo.

Good luck bro'!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cayman150 View Post
    Sean, I was going to suggest the Suby STi as my son just sold his. He also had a EVO VIII before that. They both had 300+ HP and drove like go-karts.

I prefer the rear wheel drive feel on the autocross course, probably because it is what is most familiar. I've amateur raced all 3 FWD, RWD and AWD and there are tricks in the trade to driving each. RWD is definately the most fun as AWD is a bit boring because it doesn't slip as much. I hated the understeer and unless you are on a full blown road course the normal autocross courses are usually too small to get very dramtic with Scandinavian flicks to get the back to come around.

The MazdaSpeed 3 is FWD so suspension mods will have to be done to lessen the understeer too. The FWD guys here would post better times on a loose track but as soon as the track got sticky rubber on it the RWD guys could outperform them. The Miata is RWD and is just a blast to drive but would probably need some help in the engine dept. like a SC or turbo.

Good luck bro'!
    Thanks Chuck. I know what you're getting at with autocrosses. I used to do them alot in my first Miata. In fact the best times I was able to get was with a Naturally Aspirated one not a turbo or SC.

Before I sold my last one, I was getting into the road courses. Run by Chin Motorsports. Those are a blast and that's when the real fun of a turbo comes in. They're more expensive to do but they have sessions on tracks in Homestead, Sebring, Daytona Savannah, VIR and others. It's funny I fell in love with the Legacy STI. They only made it in Japan but that was one sweet looking car. The new WRX sedan reminds me of that kind of. Now I have to see which stealership will give me the best price.

2002 HD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SCBQQSTN View Post
    05-07 Caddy CTS-V
    i absolutley love my 07 cts v, cant go wrong with them.
    plus you can make real good power for cheap with the ls motors

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Sean, you've waited this long ... you should wait a bit longer (and put away more cash) for the Focus ST You won't regret it! ... had opportunity early last October to wheel around one of the many mules they have at MIPG up in Romeo!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by '02 H-D #677 View Post
    Sean, you've waited this long ... you should wait a bit longer (and put away more cash) for the Focus ST You won't regret it! ... had opportunity early last October to wheel around one of the many mules they have at MIPG up in Romeo!
    Well that might be the case. trying to deal with subaru delearships has been a pain in the butt. Maybe it's because of the demographic of buyer for the WRXbut i'm emailing for their best internet pricing and they all want me to come in to their showroom to drive it and they'll give me the best price at that time. They are the only company that has done that to me. Several Mazda dealers didn't even hesitate to give me their price on a Masdaspeed 3 online.
    So give out the details of the Focus ST. The only info I can get is what's on the internet and they all say the same thing like each blog or article was copied and pasted.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonolds72 View Post
    i absolutley love my 07 cts v, cant go wrong with them.
    plus you can make real good power for cheap with the ls motors
    Been looking at '07 Caddy's too but I'm seeing a lot of high mileage cars.

Yeah... I drive fast.
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Acura TL?

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Sean, ran across this. Check it out.

Subaru : Impreza Subaru : Impreza | eBay

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Last edited by gen1lightning; 03-22-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Added info