Thread: Question about Used SCT Tuner?

Name: Travis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question about Used SCT Tuner?

I was looking to buy a tuner to support some lite modding. (Intake, pulley) and was curious...

They are ALL over Craigslist. Same model as what we would be buying for our own use. Are these programmed for specific vehicals only? Or are they multiple ones?

Meaning - If I buy one that someone used on a raptor, or mustang, would it have canned tunes for our 2003 HD F150's? Or are they ONLY 3 tunes for specific vehicals?

This would help me determine if I need to break down and get one new, or not.

Also it may help me determine if I should just go get a dyno tune instead.

Thanks guys! You rock!

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    depends on the part # and the history of the tuner.

The SF2 or SF3 for fords has canned tunes for most ford vehicles, while the xcal2 or xcal3 do not. The SF2 and SF3 also say xcal2/3 on them, but they also add "strategy flash", that's the important bit if you are looking for something with canned tunes included.

Those canned tunes can be removed if the SF2/3 was used in the past for a custom dyno tune, once a custom tune is loaded the factory canned tunes are usually deleted.

If you are buying local plug it into your truck and try to load a tune before buying it, that will also let you know if it is locked or not.

Name: Travis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Awesome to know, thanks!