Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can someone recommend a good tuner in Fort Lauderdale area?

Name: Mike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can someone recommend a good tuner in Fort Lauderdale area?

I just bought an 02 harley supercharged and i am going to be buying a few mods for it and was wondering if someone knows of a good tuner in the Fort Lauderdale area?

Also, should I buy and install the Factory Tech Accumulator Valve Body before i take it to the tuner or does that not matter?

Right now im planning on getting a #6 pulley kit, NGK TR-6 plugs, anbd FTAVB.

Is there anything else that is recommended that i purchase before going to the tuner without going crazy money wise? Or do I have it pretty much covered for basic mods. Truck is in mint condition and has 50K miles.

Thanks,

Mike

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starline View Post
    I just bought an 02 harley supercharged and i am going to be buying a few mods for it and was wondering if someone knows of a good tuner in the Fort Lauderdale area?
    Only about 15-20 minutes north of Ft. Laud. right off I-95

Thunder Autosports
    617 Industrial Ave
    Boynton Beach, Florida 33426-3648
    Palm Beach County

Phone: 561-369-1711

SEE REVIEW

He did my mods in December and I'm very happy with his work.
    Ask for Steve and tell him I sent ya'. Merlin with the Two-tone HD.
    Ask him what tuner he prefers. In my case he used a Predator.

Name: Mike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So I had originally thought that you could buy the handheld tuner and do it yourself or have maps that are already pre set up for specific modifications, but I guess that is not the case and you need to take it to a tuner to do it? I know on my motorcycle thats the way it was, but I guess not on these trucks unless I am mistaken. On my motorcycle you could actually map it using a laptop with software, not sure why its different on these trucks, but I just bought it and am still learning. Thanks for the help and I am super happy I found this forum.

Merlin, how much did he charge you, just so I have an idea what I will be looking at spending including my mods?

Thanks

There is canned 93 octane tune and a 93 octane pulley tune "preloaded" in the Diablo Predator.
    The "best way" is to do the Pulley, Plugs and Tune (PP&T)
    The Predator canned DIY tune works...dyno time is better.
    Thunder Performance can do both.

In my case I plugged in the canned Predator 93 octane performance tune (not the pulley version)
    long before I did the PP&T. Even that made a difference in the way the truck felt and performed.

Cost...call Steve and tell him what you are interested in.

BTW - The Diablo Predator folks are here in Boca Raton (I believe)

Side Note: With my Harley I use a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner.
    After changing intake, pipes, cam, jugs, pistons, rods etc. I had it dyno'd by a local tuner.
    Nothing the HD $tealership had stock would work and I just didn't trust my HD $tealerships dyno

NOTE: The first time...
    I had it dyno'd a the Ft. Laud. Dealer about $250 (I think) and it was awful. I could barely ride it home.
    Took 'em all day and they fried my clutch. I called and spoke to the service manager about it...
    All I got was attitude. I had to replace the clutch (with a Scorpion) and got it done over.
    I was a huge waste of my time and money. (Yeah, not even a refund for the bad dyno job).
    Do you want to know how I really feel?

Feel free to PM me with your phone number and I'll be happy to speak to you about it.

I believer Diablo Predator tuner for our truck is the DiabloSport U7158.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Question

I was looking at their new inTune touchscreen programmer but it looks like it only works on the 04-08 models.

I noticied on the Diablo Sport site for Predator tuners it lists U7153 for the 02-03 supercharged Harley trucks and U7158 for the SVT Lightning trucks.

I wonder what the difference is? I always thought we used the same type of handheld tuners?

DiabloSport :: Gas and Diesel Tuning Systems

Interesting...It appears that both support our truck
    However,

7153 supports seven vehicles 99-2003
    Gas Vehicles Engine U7153
    Ford Expedition 4.6L 2V
    Ford Expedition 5.4L 2V
    Navigator 5.4L 2V
    Ford F150 4.6L 2V
    Ford F150 5.4L 2V
    Ford F150 Harley Davidson 5.4L 2V
    Ford Excursion 5.4L 3V

7158 supports two vehicles. 99-04
    Gas Vehicles Engine U7158
    Ford Lightning 5.4L 2V
    Ford F150 Harley Davidson (Factory Supercharger) 5.4L 2V

U7153 Predator Applications:
    Note: This product does not support the SVT Lightning. For SVT lightning applications please see Predator #U7158

I'd probably lean towards the #U7158 due to the fact it says (Factory Supercharger) and the 7153 does not.

BTW- Mine does say "Lightning" when I power it up.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Interesting...It appears that both support our truck
    However,

7153 supports seven vehicles 99-2003
    Gas Vehicles Engine U7153
    Ford Expedition 4.6L 2V
    Ford Expedition 5.4L 2V
    Navigator 5.4L 2V
    Ford F150 4.6L 2V
    Ford F150 5.4L 2V
    Ford F150 Harley Davidson 5.4L 2V
    Ford Excursion 5.4L 3V

7158 supports two vehicles. 99-04
    Gas Vehicles Engine U7158
    Ford Lightning 5.4L 2V
    Ford F150 Harley Davidson (Factory Supercharger) 5.4L 2V

U7153 Predator Applications:
    Note: This product does not support the SVT Lightning. For SVT lightning applications please see Predator #U7158

I'd probably lean towards the #U7158 due to the fact it says (Factory Supercharger) and the 7153 does not.

BTW- Mine does say "Lightning" when I power it up.
    IIRC mine says Lightning too so I think I have the U7158 model.

I haven't plugged mine in over 5 years so I'll have to get it out and check to make sure I at least have the latest firmware revision on it. I think the last update I did was for 9r01. I see that on 08-09-2010 they released 9r03 so I better go and get that loaded up.

Thanks for the post. It served as a good reminder!

Name: Dave

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    great, now I have to check mine!

Name: Big

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hello, I'm a new owner and even newer to this group. I've got an 03 Harley F150 with the 5.4 supercharger. I was wondering about a tuner for better gas mileage? I know. I know. And you'd be correct, this truck is not intended to get great MPG's, but surely I can get a little better than 12 out of it right? I am not a heavy foot, nor do I hot rod it. It's nice to know I can when I want to, but for the most part, it's my daily driver and need a little more help with the gas mileage please. Every website advertises increased MPG, but actual reviews from customers don't support this. ANY help would be greatly appreciated so very much. Thanks y'all!

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsxzy View Post
    Hello, I'm a new owner and even newer to this group. I've got an 03 Harley F150 with the 5.4 supercharger. I was wondering about a tuner for better gas mileage? I know. I know. And you'd be correct, this truck is not intended to get great MPG's, but surely I can get a little better than 12 out of it right? I am not a heavy foot, nor do I hot rod it. It's nice to know I can when I want to, but for the most part, it's my daily driver and need a little more help with the gas mileage please. Every website advertises increased MPG, but actual reviews from customers don't support this. ANY help would be greatly appreciated so very much. Thanks y'all!
    unless you are doing all stop and go/city type of driving there is something wrong with your truck getting 12mpg even if completely stock.

My truck has a lot of mods and I can consistently get 17mpg on the highway going 80mph with the a/c on.

I would say it's time for a full tune-up on yours!
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind View Post
    17mpg on the highway
    I get 10mpg +-.3mpg in town stop and go. And that has been tested, if I baby it or if I hotrod it is consistently 10mpg. I have cleaned the IC, changed the plugs, it is the same with the stock tune or the superchips tune, same before and after the alignment, maybe its the tires? IDK, I would be tickled pink to get 12mpg....just sayin'.
    Last edited by SoCal Waite; 02-19-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    city driving is going to be bad, I can manage 14 if I watch my boost gauge and never go less than 10" of vacuum and never over 2000rpm.

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Waite View Post
    I get 10mpg +-.3mpg in town stop and go. And that has been tested, if I baby it or if I hotrod it is consistently 10mpg. I have cleaned the IC, changed the plugs, it is the same with the stock tune or the superchips tune, same before and after the alignment, maybe its the tires? IDK, I would be tickled pink to get 12mpg....just sayin'.
    Exact same here. I can get 15 on the highway driving like a grandma. But I 95% city drive. And I keep track of all full ups.

Blair, you sure that is MPG or is it KPG?

Seems like all the other references are to kilometers.

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast