Thread: Single key fob

Name: James

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Single key fob

So I was wondering if there is such a thing for the 01-03 trucks, or if anyone has attempted to make one? I cracked open the remote and there is circuit board all the way to the end of the case where the keyring goes, then looking at the key itself, it looks like the chip is in the very corner of the key. My thoughts were to see about making a small radius cut in the bottom of the remote (losing the keyring portion) and making it match the top radius of the key, then using epoxy to make them into a single key.

While the key on my 740iL was already one single piece, I did something similar to this to where I swapped the shank from the older-style rubber 3 button to the newer hard plastic (fancy BMW logo in the middle) 3 button "diamond" key. Split the case of the diamond key in half, removed the shank from the old key, used lots of glue to hold it in place, reassembled the key assembly just used some super small #50 or something like that drill bit and make 4 tiny screw holes, then used jewelers screws to hold it all together...came it beautifully

Anyways, I'm just trying to decrease the lump in my pocket and make the key and remote one assembly, so I was hoping that I wasn't the first that wanted this and if there are alternatives of if I'm going to have to be an innovator.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Found this today Folding Flip BLANK REMOTE KEY FOB CASE SHELL & PAD Modified FORD 3 Buttons Key | eBay The problem I see w/ each key option is the surround around the ignition key hole. The PATS key would require me opening up the rectangular shaped opening where the key goes, but are the frequencies for the remote portion even compatible w/ our trucks? The flip key would require a complete notch to allow the key assembly to slide it.

I've got a stock remote and stock-style but aftermarket key right now. The key is sometimes hard to remove the ignition when I shut the truck off and catches as I turning it towards me before I remove the key. I'd like to get a new cut so I can goto the stealership and have them cut me one using the VIN number so I've got a properly working key. Either key is option is going to be the same price as getting a Harley key replacement, but I'd rather have a remote and key combo vs just getting a Harley key cut and then still having the dangling key fob.
    2002 HD F150 DSG #01235

Powertrain: Unknown tune, 6lb lower running 13-15lbs, TR5IX's @ .36, BA2400 MAF, deleted precats/Magnaflow postcats, K&N filter w/ heatshield, L&S separator, rebuilt 4R100 w/ shift kit. Plans - KB2.3, BA2400, 255's, TR6IX's, new tune!
    Interior: Harley custom mats F&R, Glowshift 7 color LED boost gauge. Plans - 3M Di-NOC wrapped in graphite carbon fiber, LED conversion, sound deadener
    Exterior: Debadged, N-Dure bedcover w/ hidden snaps, Escape foglights w/ 3M film, hidden hitch w/ flipdown license plate
    Entertainment: BZ1370 deck, JL 10W3v2-D2 in rear console
    Suspension:Hellwig 7626/7621 F&R swaybars w/ Lightning Bilstein shocks

I <3 Mini trucks
    Name:

Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
    This is awesome.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    very nice.can this work with aftermarket alarms as well?
    ::

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I doubt it since who knows where the frequencies are once you get away from stock Ford stuff.

I work no less than 75hrs a week, so now im still hoping someone someone either owns another Ford w/ one of these newer style keys or has the time to run by a dealership and test a key before purchasing to make sure the frequencies for the remote and the grooves on the shank are the same.
    Last edited by m5james; 06-06-2012 at 06:05 PM.

2006 AWD
    Name: Roger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    does anyone know where a fella can buy a keychain like this? have tried ebay..thx

HARLEY DAVIDSON FORD F-150 F150 CHROME STYLE KEY RING ABOUT 2 3/4 INCHES LONG | eBay