Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 03 sub box for rear ???

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    I used about 1/4 of a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" MDF which is about $40 for the whole sheet.

I then used some wood glue...$10? Some 1.5" wood screws...$5 for a box of 100? A speaker terminal Amazon.com: ATLONA SPEAKER TERMINAL BOARD AT100052 Atlona Technologies: Electronics about $5, and I still need to buy some carpet. Home depot sells in/outdoor rated black carpet that's a really good match for the stock carpet (and is what sonicHD used above I believe) for $3.60/ft and comes off a 6ft wide roll. I haven't figured out how much I'll need yet but I don't think that's going to be a lot.

So if you don't have any of those materials but you do have the tools to do it (rip saw, jig saw, drill, drill bits, screwdriver bit, measuring tape, pencil ;)) it should cost about $50-$60 to build it, then stuff whatever smaller than 12" speaker you want in it...

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Smaller than 12"?? I had a 12" Alpine TypeR in mine

Word

Quote Originally Posted by SonicHD View Post
    Smaller than 12"?? I had a 12" Alpine TypeR in mine
    yeah I meant 12" or smaller, I have a 12" MTX something or other in mine.

Junior Boost Lover
    Name: Sean

Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts

Re: 03 sub box for rear ???

What's the cu. Ft of the box?

Word

depends how you build it, if you build it like mine...0.98

Name: Travis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I also have a stealth box for sale. Have 12''sub, sub box, and amp.

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    you can make it over 1.00 c.ft if you make the brackets for the bottom and inch shorter and the box and inch taller.
    i just made woode brackets to hold the box in the stock locations.

Word

Some more progress on mine.

I ran a new 4 gauge power wire from the starter solenoid, through the plastic wire harness channel over the firewall, in through the rubber gromit next to the brake booster and then behind the parking brake assembly and along the trim channel on the drivers side.

Mocked up the box in the console shell, and stripped the rear of the cab and laid down a roughly 60% coverage of sound deadoner until everything passed the 'thump test' with my palm.

Don't think I'll make more progress until next weekend, but who cares I get to party tomorrow for the superbowl and it's not my daily driver so I can take as long as I want to make it right

Some pics

I have some black loom I'll be using to cover up the visible blue power wire in the engine bay, and the box is only resting in place in the back using 2x 3/4" scraps in the front and 1x 3/4" scrap in the rear to get an idea of the height. I think I managed to make the factory rear console U bracket work for holding the box and console shell too.

The little blue box with an LCD screen on it near the box in the back hooked to the power wire is a 4 gauge to 8 gauge distribution block, I don't need a full 4 gauge for my sub amp so I'll be using that to tie into my 450 watt AC inverter and my 4-channel amp for the door speakers too.

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    you should paint the box thats showing black.

here was mine ready to go in. i painted the box black and then screwed the outter plastic to the wood box as shown. That washer is now painted black also.

ive never taken a pic with the trim ring installed on the plexi. ill take a pic in a few minutes.
    EDIT: with trim ring

Last edited by BlairTruck; 02-03-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Word

03 sub box for rear ???

Not painting mine, I have black carpet to cover it with
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

Word

Finished it up today to about the 90% level, I want to wrap the amp mounting board with the black carpet to hide it better, but otherwise it all looks and sounds great.

I swapped the mtx sub for a 12" Boston Generator series sub and I really like it. Nice and quick hits for the type of music I listen to (classic rock mainly, but some modern mash-up type music occasionally too). It can drop the bottom loud enough to shake the eyeballs though, I really like the way the down firing sealed box sounds in the truck, sounds much better than I expected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2