Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: May 2012, Lee, ’02 H-D #677, Randall, Build # 00677

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts

May 2012, Lee, ’02 H-D #677, Randall, Build # 00677

.....May's NHTOC TOTM winner is Lee, ’02 H-D #677, Randall with a Clean Shaven 2002 Build #00677! Congratulations Lee.....

I'd like to take a moment and give a special thanks to a founding member on his 10th Anniversary.
    Lee purchased his truck on 5/21/2002!

Lee has always been somewhat of a “gear-head”. For many years he taught and worked as an industrial engineer, applying computer technology to manufacturing processes. He also owned his own discreet manufacturing company supplying highly specialized components made from exotic materials to a very large aerospace company. His youngsters now run the operation and will no longer allow him access to the shop floor! Ha!

He recently retired and is getting closer to “golden years”. As such, he grew up with what most here might recognize as “old-school” things. Ha! … his home is full of antiques, his garage and shop carry 3 old cars (’35 Packard, ’56 Continental MK II, ’67 Buick Wildcat Convertible), 3 older Harleys (now 2.5 … sigh!), a Ducati Monster, and a ’38 Chris-Craft Dual-cowl Mahogany launch. That being said, his career recognized strong appreciation for technology application and associated change. Hence, his H-D truck is what he considers to be the melding of newer vehicle technology with an “old-school” type of “hot-rodding”. It represents his “outlet” for a newer “hot-rod toy”.

Question # 1: What sparked your interests in the Harley trucks? Specifically your HD Truck?

I have held enthusiasm for Ford and Harley-Davidson from an early age. I acquired it from my Dad. My first Harley was a little “Sporty-piglet” that I bought almost 45 years ago! I almost bought a 2000 H-D truck when they were introduced in 1999. When the rumor-mill indicated that Ford might introduce a supercharged version, I elected to buy an F350 Super Duty and take a chance on waiting. When the rumors became fact, I went to the dealership and ordered a DSG truck just before the end of 2001. I took delivery during late May of 2002 so this month marks the 10th anniversary of my ownership! … hard to believe I have owned it this long already!

Question # 2: Any interesting stories behind the history of vehicles you've owned leading up to the HD truck or how you got it?

Wow! I have owned over 60 vehicles over the years! I have owned all kinds of makes, models, nationalities! … primarily American but also British, German, French, Italian, and Japanese … cars and motorcycles, alike! I think I might be one of the first people to have created an H-D clone! Ha! During 1983 I had a 1955 F100 that I restored/hot-rodded in a manner that was very close in appearance/performance to what we know as today’s Harley Trucks! I have always carried an affinity for special-interest vehicles and, particularly, trucks. So, when Ford and Harley-Davidson got together? … I was a “prime target”!

Question # 3: Give me a rough list of the mods that have been done to your truck. I know you've got a lot done, so you can just list your favorites if you'd like!

Gosh! There really are just too many to list! I guess I identify mods in four basic categories: Performance, Drivability, Appearance, and Serviceability/Reliability. My favorite Performance mods are the 9” lower, Steig III port, and FTVB. Favorite Drivability mods are 4-link rear suspension, Bilsteins, and Toyo Proxes. Favorite Appearance mods are the “nude/stealth” entire “clean-shaven” body, and smoothed/painted/color-coordinated components. Favorite Serviceability/Reliabilty mods are Mad’s coil pack screws, Moroso trans pan, T&A Performance girdle-cover, and Metco interchangeable lower.

Question # 4: Tell us a little about yourself. Your other hobbies, your job, your favorite past time, whatever!

In addition to what I previously mentioned, I am fairly new to retirement. I enjoy being frustrated with golf and am certainly a “duffer”! I also enjoy flying and sailing. Also, my Wife and I have toured several 3rd-world/developing countries during the last few years which has proven to be very enlightening. Oh! … and, of course, I simply love turning wrenches and “Randall-Gyvering” every so often!

Question # 5: You've been a member on the site for a while now, what is one of the best things you like about the site that keeps you around?

That’s easy! … has been said many times! … Camaraderie! NHTOC is one of few sites I have time or desire to frequent. Since its inception during early ‘03, the membership has demonstrated strong willingness to help others with shared insight/expertise. Within cyberspace, it is rare to experience as close a kinship as exists with fellow NHTOC folks!

Question # 6: What is one suggestion to help make the site a better place?

Years ago, many folks took time/interest in developing many different galleries. As is said, “pictures speak a thousand words” … they were very helpful. Many of those galleries were “housed” at other locations based on the new NHTOC format for creating galleries and have subsequently “gone by the wayside”. I hope there may be a membership resurgence toward recapturing such galleries … I know I have been “remiss” in this regard so will make a concerted effort over time to re-establish those galleries I had created using the new/improved NHTOC capability.

Question # 7: This is where I normally ask about where you decided on your screen name and any specific reason for choosing it?

Self-explanatory … when NHTOC was very young with only a few members, many of the original members used their respective truck build number as a UserID. I simply followed suit.

Question # 8: Almost at the end, what is in the future for your truck?, so what’s the next plan of attack for your trucks future?!

My first plan is to de-winterize it, put the wheels/tires on, take it off the stands/out of the garage, and take some current pics for creation of a new gallery! Ha!

As with most folks here, “playing with toys” and “changing things” is a never-ending affliction! My truck is pretty much at the “edge of the envelope” for where I want it to be from a Performance and Drivability perspective without impacting its Serviceability/Reliability. As a result, the plan for “playing with/changing things” focuses on some small Appearance stuff and simply driving it more often! Ha! Given there is relatively little chrome stuff on my truck, I plan to switch everything to “black-chrome”. I am preparing to black-chrome the nerf bars, fishtail exhaust tips, grille, wheels, etc. Second, I hope to finally get around to installing the DGM roll-pan and customized Cervinis cowl hood that have been sitting around in the shop for what seems like an eon! Third, I plan to simply DRIVE the truck more often! It is interesting to note that I live in the wet/soggy Pacific Northwest and my truck has NEVER been driven in the rain! As mentioned earlier, I have owned it now for 10 years and she still only has just a little over 22K miles on the clock! She is definitely a garage queen! I have truly spent more time “tinkering” with it than I have in the driver’s seat! Since I have a little more time now and plan on staying closer to home a bit more, I think I should be able to enjoy the truck much more without her having to get wet from anything except a hose! Ha!

Question 9: Last and final question, just an open end question for if you had anything else you wanted to mention that I didn't have a question for...here's the place to go at it! Your web site link, a plug for something, etc. etc. whatever you want to throw in!

I TRULY appreciate the honor and recognition of being nominated/selected as this month’s TOTM! Thank you! I am very happy to be in the position of accepting the award this time around! In years past, applicable NHTOC moderators contacted me several times regarding TOTM nomination. It is curious that on four previous occasions, it just so happened that my truck was in various states/stages of “playing with/changing things” that precluded me from accepting the nomination and presenting my truck for selection. Personally, it is very rewarding for me to have this “come together” at a time when my truck is recognizing its 10th Anniversary!

There are many here that understand the associated effort/time involved when being “maniacally-meticulous” regarding “toy-tinkering”. Those “many” are very deserving of such recognition for their hard work with their trucks and certainly appreciate the dynamics of having it “come-together” … all the more rewarding for me to have ’02 #677 be recognized as TOTM! Thanks again!

I want to take this opportunity to extend kudos and appreciation to Dwight and Nan for having developed NHTOC … we H-D folks needed this kind of site! Probably more important? … to the Moderators! They devote a significant amount of time to coordinating, monitoring, participating, and maintaining NHTOC. They are the people who are the “grunts” that make NHTOC a truly great website!

Last, but definitely not least! I want to ensure that all those 2nd and 3rd (maybe 4th) generation H-D truck owners that may be “NewBs” to the NHTOC website? … post-up! Although I may be an “Old-Fart” (literally and figuratively to NHTOC), I have learned a whole lot from newcomers that have demonstrated fresh/new ideas, approaches, products, and trends. I am certain people at NHTOC welcome all input/observations/comments! Also … JOIN! Membership has helped enable the site to remain viable over all these years! I really don’t think I need to espouse the individual/personal benefits?!

Thanks again for the honor. Thanks for years of support, help, and guidance. Thanks for your friendship.

Lee

Happy Anniversary!

Former Owner of 03 #8186
    Name: Adam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Way to go buddy! Well deserved.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

2003 Black #08186

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Congrats!
    Kenne Bell 2.6 - JLP Forced Air Induction - MAFia - JLP Thunder Tube - 60 lb Injectors - Kenne Bell Boost A Pump - Afco Heat Exchanger - Walbro 255 Fuel Pumps - Accufab SBTB - Denso Plugs - JLP IC Reservoir - PI Stall Converter - Weapon X cops - Factory Tech Valve Body - JLP Comp R Exhaust - QA1 Shocks - Beltech Drop Springs - PST CF Driveshaft - Flex Form Fiberglass Leafs - JLP Shackles - Hotchkis Sway Bars - JLP Traction Bars - RotorPro Brakes - Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges - DiabloSport Predator - JLP Dyno Tune - Detroit Truetrac - Forte and Grabbers - Bogarts and Hoosiers

Name: Byron

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Congrads on TOTM

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    congrats, I love the shaved doors and the keypad in the belt line!
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

Name:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Congrads on TOTM

RWHP-500-RWTQ-590 STOCK BLOCK. street tune

NHTOC # 373
    Name: Dick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congrats on your TOTM!

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    congrats on totm
    ::

Name: Hank

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congrats... Awesome truck.

Always working
    Name: Big John

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congrats Lee! I think this is the first time Ive seen pics of your truck, love the shaved handles but kept the stock look, looks great, good job! Subtle changes are the best!

Oh, Ive got one of those DGM Pans in the garage too, and a JL sub stealth box, and a Mad E fan and ...... some day Ill have time ......

Boost Addict
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congrats! Sweet ride

"No such thing as half way Baller Status, Go big or go Home." - Tweek02HD

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Thumbs up

Lee, awesome ride man. Well deserved to say the least.

In all this time, I think this is the first time I'm seeing pics of your handy work too. Great job.

Welcome to the TOTM club! (should have been a long time ago)

Love the tow hitch plug too. Very unique.

Enjoy and keep modding bro'.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Thanks all! ... been an enjoyable ride with everyone here at NHTOC! I have learned a whole lot about our trucks and even more about the many very fine folks here! I will ensure to post new pics/developments in a gallery. Thanks again for your comments and friendship!

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    great looking truck
    BLESSED / 03 2TONE

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    CONGRATULATIONS!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast