Thread: broke exhaust studs in head

dont be stingy save gingy
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

broke exhaust studs in head

so i pulled the right side manifold and found the 2 rear head studs broke just inside the head. there is also one broke but sticking out, so that one wont be bad. i was thinking about trying to get them out, but the threads seem bad in the head. i was thinking also about helicoil but not sure how that would work. any thoughts or any one have a better fix thanks?

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    drill out, helicoil repair
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

32V SC 5.4L #001
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I doubt very much that you will be able to do anything with them in the truck. I have found that to be truly successful, the head needs to be set up in a mill in order to get a hole precisely in the center of the stud. My best success has always been with left hand drills, that way if and when the drill jams, there is a good chance that it will just unwind the broken stud.

Mike

************************CLICK TO VISIT MAD'S SITE************************

'02, 32V, 5.4L #001, 14psi Whipple and a few other mods. 640 rwhp, 610 tq. CA Smog legal

Name: asdfasfasdf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    STOP! Im a ford tech and have dealt with this very problem many many times, piece of cake with the right tools. First thing you do is centerpunch the stud. Now take a drill bit thats larger than the hole to clean out the top thread or two thats above the broken stud. Next take your normal RH drill bit (LH is better) and start drilling a pilot hole 1/8" in size. Most often times the bit will bite into the stud and thread it in further with ease, this is great news! If you had a left hand drill the stud would simply thread itself out right before your eyes. The issue is the corrosion above the broken stud which is why you should clean out the top portion with a larger drill to remove a couple of corroded threads. Its an easy fix, dont panic just follow the above instructions and let us know how you made out.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    nice write up newman.hope it helps him
    ::

dont be stingy save gingy
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thanks Newman, did just what you said and it worked great. i am a lincion tech so i don't see to many trucks. used left hand drill bits and a angle drill. i did paint the manifold with high heat paint, so i will see how long it holds up. started it up and p yea, no more pfh pfh pfh. so now i am doing some frame painting and then i will reinstall the wheel well and take hr for a ride. man it took me a year to do the studs.

Name: asdfasfasdf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxcar1 View Post
    thanks Newman, did just what you said and it worked great. i am a lincion tech so i don't see to many trucks. used left hand drill bits and a angle drill. i did paint the manifold with high heat paint, so i will see how long it holds up. started it up and p yea, no more pfh pfh pfh. so now i am doing some frame painting and then i will reinstall the wheel well and take hr for a ride. man it took me a year to do the studs.
    Great news! Glad it worked out for you. I watched a guy at the dealer drill his brains out on V10 rather than what you did and all of a sudden he was showered with coolant! He drilled on an angle and right into the water jacket, what a dummy. Had to put a head on it!