Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fuel mileage

Name: James

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Let's not forget 100k interval items that some people don't touch, which I've replaced and my mileage has gotten into the 16MPG range on roadtrips...precat 02's, Navigator fuel filter and replacing the MAF as those things are directly related to mileage.

Not directly related would be things like a tranny service (mine was rebuilt like 4k ago) and a differential service off the top of my head.

Name: Brennan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oki916 View Post
    You have some other issues going on then. I have a fully built truck with over 600 rwhp and I can get 300 miels out of full tank which is 12-13 mpg while still going out and having fun. Hwy I have gotten 400 miles out of a full tank.

Has the truck been tuned before? Is it all stock? Do you have an oil seperator? When was the last time you cleaned the Intercooler? Is your AC working properly? Is your IC pump working properly? Has the fuel filter ever been changed? Are your plugs gapped properly and not fouled? Do you have a A/F gauge to see if your running rich?

There are lots of things that can kill mpg.
    All stock. I/C cleaned a month ago and l&s sep put on right after. A/C could use to be checked out. (doesn't get as cold as it should in daytime), IC pump comes on, Fuel filter might need a change, plugs will be changed, and no a/f gauge yet.
    Truck has 65k miles on it.

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    If your A/C is low then the compresor could be clicking on and off while you have it on over and over again...this will eat into your MPG. Simple way to check is to go buy some Freon, plug it in, and push the button...the recharge bottle comes with a gauge on it.

65K....worth a fuel filter change....upgrade to the Navi Filter. PM JOEDPL to see if he still has some brackets available & filters.

I'd be very interested to see what the plugs look like & what they are gapped at.

All stock....A/F isn't really a needed since you haven't changed a pulley, but it would be an easy way to tell if your running rich. Low mileage truck, if you ever plan on changing a pully to up the boost, then get the A/F gauge.

Main thing is to check the things that don't cost a lot of money...they just may take some time to work out (like changing the plugs)

been trying to think what else could be the cause...other then a tuning issue. Perhaps others will jump in, as my mind is thinking Clog Cats.

Also, even though you don't have the CEL on...have you checked to see if its throwing any codes?

Quote Originally Posted by SonicHD View Post
    ... But it SCREAMS like a raped monkey at wot

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    speedometer being off from improperly sized (too small) tires will also look like 'bad gas mileage'.

under inflated tires hurts gas mileage, 40psi seems to be the ticket for best mileage for me with stock or my new 22's.

If the engine thermostat is too cold or stuck open it could be stuck and the computer is not switching open loop/closed loop, making it run pig rich, you want the truck to get up to ~195* for best mileage.

Worn out or bad wheel bearings, worn out brakes with damaged or stuck caliper pins could cause drag, hurting mileage.
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Wow, i thought i was doing good getting 310 out of a tankful on Labor Day weekend using the Cruise and TRYING to not go 90....My mileage sucks ballz. Truck cost me $100 a week doing very little mileage just back and forth to work. I can't wait until my Harley Road King is back on the road, i can shave 75% off my fuel bill!
    Tim

My Photo Gallery
    1992 EG • 2000 RKC • 2002 Ford HD F150
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/49503198237@N01/

Laughlin/Route 66 CA to NM Pics
    http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...e%2066%20ride/

My custom paint & sign work:
    www.artsnletters.com

Name: Dukcaln

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    about 13-14 town. Might take it to tahoe this weekend to see what it gets..... about 100 miles

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    My mileage in my Signature.
    Which has some boat pulling in it, when the boat is behind the truck I get about 8mpg for referance. I normally get between 13 -14. When she sits for long periods then mileage drops (which is understandable and she does a lot of sitting now.)
    Troy - 2002 DSG #09850. 378 HP, 465 TQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2