Thread: Shortblock Questions.

Boost Its Whats 4 Dinner
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shortblock Questions.

This info is hard to find. I kno the lightning and HD have forged pistons and cranks.. Now what I couldnt find is the round about HP rating for the Pistons. I read that the crank was around 900. Correct me if im wrong.. I kno the rods are the weak link for sure.. I suspose the question im asking is, Has anybody ran a stock shortblock with good aftermarket rods and made good numbers and still be relilable? Im not looking for 600hp to the wheels. Im looking for 6-8lb lower and a good tune. What do yall think? This will be on a very small budget hints the reason im asking.
    2002 Harley Davidson F150 5.4 supercharged DSG #1570
    Drop Shackle. Filled Silencer holes, Belt Tensioner Tab Mod, Metco 2LB Lower, Oil separator, Beer can mod on iac, K&N Panel with modded air box, and Custom Catback exhaust
    Waiting to be Installed: Nothing yet , Lack of Green

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    completely stock shortblock is fine with a 6lb lower. That will be around the 400-450rwhp range.

however, if you upgrade the rods, you should be good up to 600rwhp.
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Stock pistons wont be a problem for what your looking to do. The stock motor can handle and put down some nice power with just a rod swap.

Name:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicHD View Post
    Stock pistons wont be a problem for what your looking to do. The stock motor can handle and put down some nice power with just a rod swap.
    Mnnnnn I wounder how much it will be just to swap the rods!!!!!!!!!

RWHP-500-RWTQ-590 STOCK BLOCK. street tune

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcobi007 View Post
    Mnnnnn I wounder how much it will be just to swap the rods!!!!!!!!!
    Quite a bit for someone who dont turn their own wrenches. (not a dig on you, just the facts) Seeing what you paid for your KB install, I bet it would cost you at least $2k down there just to R&R the motor. Then the whole motor needs to be disassembled and then reassembled. +$$$ I imagine you would need to buy a rebuild kit to go with it (new gaskets, bearings, rings, etc) +$$$ You cant just take the motor apart and throw it back together. Wouldnt hurt to have some machining done to the block and heads to be sure everything is in shape so theres no issues with head gasket leaks, etc. +$$$ All that would cost you a nice chunk of change; mostly labor though. It would still be much cheaper than a full build, but not worth the cost doing it that route IMO.

Or if you were brave enough to try it, it would probably be roughly $1500 give or take to do a rod swap/machining/rebuild kit yourself.

Here's a decent book; check it out, see what you think
    Amazon.com: How to Rebuild 4.6-/5.4-Liter Ford Engines (9781613250433): George Reid: Books

Boost Its Whats 4 Dinner
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OK cool. thats good to kno. Are the stock wrist pins full floating or press fit? i plan on doin all the work my self and prolly freshing up the short block.. But you kno how the speed bug is though. LOL