Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Oil Seperator?

iHarley
    Name: iHarley

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Waite View Post
    I have smogged mine twice now with the L&S installed and passed both times. I painted mine black though so it doesn't stick out. In fact, the only thing I change for smog is the air box, I don't do the pulley or tune. Never had a problem. They don't even use the sniffer anymore. Just a visual inspection and OBD II check.

Come to think of it, on Heisenberg I have a remote mounted oil separator that is brushed aluminum and doesn't look anything stock, and still passed just a few months ago.
    This is good to know!
    After installing the L&S Oil Separator, I hooked up my scanner - no codes. I really didn't expect any, more concerned about the tube going to the elbow fitting at the bottom of the turkey pan getting a leak.
    Depending on the SMOG check tech, if anything of the vacuum hose routing has been changed from the sticker on the fan shroud, I think they are suppose to fail you.

We'll see, I just had a check so good for another 2yrs. I have a great guy that does mine, he gives me a pre-scan prior to connecting to the DMV system. I'll show him the Oil Separator install and take his lead on that.
    2003 Black / Silver
    Build Number: 9384

Name: Shawn

Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
    I replaced my hoses and the connectors/couplers earlier this year. Take the hoses off and visit an auto parts store. That's what I did.

iHarley

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Paint it black

I like a few products Vinylex, Turtle CD-2 and my fav Sonus Motor Kote
    A good cleaning and Sonus Motor Kote it is, thanks!
    This product really gets great reviews.

Probably will have to order it, I don't remember it being in any of my local stores.

Just order Sonus Motor Kote on eBay, free shipping and no tax. Also from the same seller BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection another Merlin thumbs up.

Thanks!
    Last edited by iHarley; 09-08-2016 at 08:26 PM.

iHarley

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B.O.B. View Post
    Mine was the same color. I used hi temp gloss spray paint, four coats. Sanded between coats.

50/50 simple green and water . I start my truck let the engine get a little warm. Shut it off then spray with the 50/50 . I try not to spray electrical connections such as fuse box or air filter etc. Let it soak for 5-10 minutes. Scrub the areas with a rag that need extra attention. Attach rag to a dowel rod for hard to reach areas. Then start engine and spray off with water. Dirtier engine bay may require more than one treatment. I only start the truck to help it dry faster. A leaf blower works good also. Then spray with a product like merlin recommended.
    I use 50/50 simple green all the time in the shop, mostly to spray on a rag and clean my hands. Didn't really think to use it to clean the engine bay, too simple. Figured there was a special, high tech, expensive product making huge claims that would do all the dirty work while I drink a beer -)

Thanks!

'03 Shamu/Build #04441
    Name: Sean

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iHarley View Post
    I use 50/50 simple green all the time in the shop, mostly to spray on a rag and clean my hands. Didn't really think to use it to clean the engine bay, too simple. Figured there was a special, high tech, expensive product making huge claims that would do all the dirty work while I drink a beer -)
    Thanks!
    Same here and same procedure as BOB (but I cover the fuse box, air filter, etc. w/ plastic and clean around those areas by hand later). Been buying simple green by the gallon for about twenty years now. Works on everything and does a great job (even on your hands as stated above) without harming the natural finish or integrity of certain items such as unprotected aluminum, magnesium, plastic, etc. Other harsher products have a tendency to turn these items white or worse but not simple green.
    JBA Coffee & Cars 06/12/2016

iHarley

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BENNY832 View Post
    Mine are deteriorating starting to form cracks etc. Just touching them I can scrape oil off of it. Not sure this is normal. Also the can itself sometimes I find it off of the top of the oil cap and im not the one to be doing donuts or riding on two wheels, however I did notice that at the bottom of the can where it meets the oil cap it looks like the previous owner put some electrical tape about the bottom of the can around the piece that plugs into the cap, maybe I could just replace the tape with some fresh e-tape and see if that keeps in it from coming out?
    Hey Benny,

The L&S Oil Separator falling off the oil cap - not good!
    When I got mine, I wasn't clapping for the way the Oil Separator and new oil cap worked.
    The cap is convex and with the o-ring on the Oil Separator, the whole thing rock N rolled around. If the hoses weren't there, I could see it falling off.

Sooo... I did a little modification. And since I'm taking it out to paint the Oil Separator, I took a photo for you.

The bottom of the Oil Separator is fairly flat and if it could sit flat on the oil cap, that would be a step in right direction.
    I chucked up the cap in the lathe and took off just enough material to level the cap. I replaced the 0-ring with a flat rubber gasket I made.
    With the hoses made to ensure the Oil Separator was level with the cap, it now sits very solid.

If you want to send me your oil cap, I'll level it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    The only way to eliminate oil in the intake tract is to delete the PCV system entirely. All oil separators allow oil some amount of oil vapor to enter the intake tract, it just takes longer to accumulate. Anyone who says their X, Y, Z brand oil separator has resulted in a clean intake tract simply hasn't put enough miles on the truck yet... or they're lying to you and themselves.

I've run a L&S on my Lightning since 2005. I've run the L&S on my HD since 2012. Both work well but both allow oil to accumulate and require ocassional IC cleanings. Case and point... I pulled the HD's SC for my recent timing component swap and was greeted with an oily IC and a small puddle in the valley where the turkey pan plug is located. I wasn't too disappointed though since it had been nearly four years and 51,761 miles since the last cleaning.

I replace the L&S lines with heater hose lines (7/16" IIRC), use just one bending line from the valve cover to the top of the separator, and have a way that basically mates the separator to the oil cap so the oil cap and separator act as one piece.

iHarley

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by throttle jockey View Post
    "..... and have a way that basically mates the separator to the oil cap so the oil cap and separator act as one piece."
    Could you explain the way you mated the separator to the oil cap?

Thank!

Name: Benny

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Hmm well thanks for the photo and the knowledge drop, learning has occurred. I will have to get out there after work and do some modifying. Now it makes sense as to why when I purchased it, the previous owner had the damn thing zip tied down to the oil cap somehow lol...Curious to see what TJ says on how he mated the separator and oil cap

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iHarley View Post
    Could you explain the way you mated the separator to the oil cap?
    Not much to it, I put a short piece of heater hose on the bottom port of the separator and drill the oil cap large enough to accept it but small enough that it takes lubrication and muscle to get the separator seated within the cap. Once its together don't pull them apart when removing/replacing the oil cap.

iHarley

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by throttle jockey View Post
    Not much to it, I put a short piece of heater hose on the bottom port of the separator and drill the oil cap large enough to accept it but small enough that it takes lubrication and muscle to get the separator seated within the cap. Once its together don't pull them apart when removing/replacing the oil cap.
    Thanks TJ

Like the tube sleeve used at the PVC valve, if I have this correct?

I like your idea, should seal really good and help the separator sit square on the cap.

Thanks!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6