Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Head Units

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    Have you looked at the Kenwood KDC-X996 (click on picture below)

Name: andy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a jenson for now

Formerly "mlelsafe"
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have an Eclipse AVN-5495, I think it's the same as Merlin's. Gonna have to look into changing my background too! I love this HU, I've listened to Sirius radio while copying a CD to the internal HD while using built in Navigation. It has 5V pre-outs and a great frequency response. Of course, I also hate this HU because Eclipse charges $350 for the map updates and mine has a SW bug from 2006 that requires you to send the unit into them instead of just downloading and updating via DVD/CD . I just use my Android phone for navigation now, it's more up to date than Eclipse's latest maps plus I don't have to pay extra for it.

The Pioneers seem to be pretty cutting edge, although I haven't looked at stereos in the past few years.

Name: Byron

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by busaandy View Post
    I have a jenson for now
    me to

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey Guys, I just bought the new alpine model INE-W927HD 7" screen same features as the 8" cruchfiled $1199, currently I have an eclipse AVN-6610 great sound, Three 5-Volt Pre-amp Outputs, and dual zone lets movies play at the rear and music up front,I don't like the fact that the navigation system is dvd, old tech, but sounds great, The alpine has Three 4-Volt Pre-amp Outputs, I hope this doesn't hurt the sound quality, If it does I will send it back. I will soon finish this project,sound system has taken me a few years now,after alpine install I give some feedback.

Name: Chris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Still rocking my Kenwood KVT-717DVD flip out... Old school but works great. Just need to get something in the F250 now where I can use all the steering wheel buttons.

2002 DSG
    Belltech drop shackles,Checkmate flush mount tonneau cover, L tails and 3rd brake light
    6# lower, Accufab single blade TB, C&L intake elbow, Bilstein L-spec shocks, Bassani long tubes, Magnaflow hi-flow cats, Magnaflow DI/DO
    222K.... I think it's time for a rebuild
    2006 F250 HD Tuxedo Black Crew Cab 8' Bed
    6.0L PSD, XDP 4" turbo-back exhaust, K&N FIPK, Nitto Extreme All Terrains

www.facebook.com/1mean02hd
    www.cardomain.com/id/1mean02hd

Name: Steve

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    what kits are you guys using for install, everyone I talk with says it won't fit, which obviously
    isn't right, but my guess is that is because it's not bolt in and they don't want to support the
    work you'd have to do.

Anythreads on the install process what it takes to put one in?

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    there's tons of threads on here do a search, I used the metra kit.

Amazon.com: Metra 95-5818 Double Din Dash Kit for Select 1997-2003 Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Vehicles: Car Electronics

It requires cutting to fit a double din headunit.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I've done several searched and been through the Audio threads

Was it just plug n play with that or did you have to do some trimming
    to the face cover plate with the AC vents, what extra work did you
    have to deal with in order to get it to fit. FWIU all the double dins are
    bigger than the opening..

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    It's not very much trimming at all. If you have a dremel tool it is a piece of cake to do the plastic bits. You just need to take off about an 1/8 inch on each side and maybe the same for one side of the top or bottom depending on your after market unit. IIRC the metal bracket in the rear that holds the OEM unit in can either come all the way out or be trimmed too. Once you pull your OEM unit and take a look and test fit your after market one you'll see it's very easy.

The face plate surround is all plastic too so it may need trimming to fit your unit. Just getting the motivation to tear into it is the key. It's really not hard at all.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    THanks guess it's time to look into a HU, not really interested in a mega banging system
    I just want BT access so my Iphone will hook up, app control maybe, don't care about Nav

Word

Not sure what you were searching for, but here's a thread on my install with a bunch of pictures -
    http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/audio-s...rius-ipod.html

I had to only cut inside the dash, I cut nothing of the ac bezel on the outside of the dash and I'm very happy with the fitment. The metra trim kit includes instructions of exactly what needs to be trimmed.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    well you'd be amazed what comes up when you put head unit in
    lot of stuff unrealated I've probably read 50 threads thanks for the link.

I just have to decide if I'm going to do this or not, really just want to
    be able to access the iPhone while in the truck, and don't care for the single din
    and compartment look, but I might do it if it's less expensive.

As much as I like music the trucks 10 years old and I am getting the
    itch to move to a newer F150..

Word

Quote Originally Posted by 03HDSVT View Post
    well you'd be amazed what comes up when you put head unit in
    lot of stuff unrealated I've probably read 50 threads thanks for the link.

I just have to decide if I'm going to do this or not, really just want to
    be able to access the iPhone while in the truck, and don't care for the single din
    and compartment look, but I might do it if it's less expensive.

As much as I like music the trucks 10 years old and I am getting the
    itch to move to a newer F150..
    just search google for "2003 f150 double din install" and you'll find TONS of threads on this and other forums.

With my avic f700 headunit I have great functionality from my iphone, bluetooth with a mic installed next to the overhead console so everyone in the truck can be heard on a call if wanted, a backup camera that works anytime the shifter is in reverse or whenever I want if I hit the 'rear view' button on the headunit (rear camera tapped into trailer wiring plug behind the bumper for power), and either streaming bluetooth music if I'm on a quick drive and too lazy to pull the phone out of my pocket, or a front aux input for better SQ when I have the phone out and on the dock charging for longer drives...

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    The advantage of the double din is the touch screen and being able to view DVD's, gamingand NAV. If you don't need all of that then a single din with cubby compartment, USB/iPod, bluetooth will probably be half or a third the cost.

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast