Thread: what to do?

Name: Christopher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what to do?

I am going to do some mods to my 03 HD which has 40k miles. Right now it has magnaflow muffler and s&b intake. I want power and have 4k to put into it in the next 6 months any suggestions ? I was told to do bolt on stuff since the miles are so low. I appreciate your time and input.

needs more cowbell!
    Name: Sheridan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Search is your friend... there are MANY posts regarding your question.

With 4k.... I would suggest you get a Whipple or KB blower for more efficient and powerful boost. An after market valve body for faster shifting, a handheld tuner, and a custom tune. You might have enough left over for longtube headers to open up your exhaust flow.

You don't want to push a stock block much past 450hp. The rods are the weak point and you will blow your engine. Especially on downshifts in cooler weather.

HD's are heavier that Lightnings, so be careful about advice geared towards Lightnings.
    Yes officer... I am aware of how fast I was going!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    so porting the SC is not a good idea? what SC is the best to get for our truck

needs more cowbell!
    Name: Sheridan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    You said you have 4k to spend... porting will only get you minimal gains. It's time for you to do A LOT of research an do it right the first time so you don't waste money on things you end up regretting/replacing.

So many of us (including me) do a little here, a little there, a few years later we want more and more. Then we end up doing a fully built engine and tranny, making 650+ horsepower and running in the 10's, but spent WAY too much unnecessary money getting there.

Find a tuner first. Let them point you in the right direction and you can always check in here for answers and opinions.

Plan your work and work your plan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    oh ok i just want a good tuner i am in the military andits hard to find one since ill keep moving . i appreciate the time

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Thumbs up

There was a Whipple complete to the air filter for $2k on the LR site.

I think a lot of us have done the same thing. Over the years we spend a little here and a little there on bolt ons instead of just saving the $ up and just spending a large chuck of change for the more efficient blower up front.

Since you have already saved up your $ I'd pick up a used Whipple and either an SCT or a Diablo Sport Predator hand held tuner and get it tuned by a tuner local to you (find out which unit they like) or if you move a lot and can't find a tuner local get a tune emailed to you.

Tuners like to have you do some data logging for the email tunes. so it may be a back and forth process for 2-3 times to get it right.

32V SC 5.4L #001
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Your best bet would be if you could find a good used KB or Whipple.

However, swinging deals like a Whip for 2k are few and far between. On a stock block, I am a huge fan of a stage 2 or 3 port from Steig. The big deal here is the substantial reduction in IAT-2 temps.

Some years ago, at one of the Dyno Days that I put on with Sal doing the tuning, he recorded IAT-2 temps on every (22) truck.

Most of the trucks had stock Eatons, we had a couple of KB's and I had the only Steig ported blower. At 15psi, my IAT-2 temps were 20 degrees lower than any other, including the KB's, as a result Sal was able to put an extra 2-3 degrees timing in my street tune and 4-5 in my race tune.

trueleftyred,
    When you are ready, I can probably get you any parts you want for your Mods.

************************CLICK TO VISIT MAD'S SITE************************

'02, 32V, 5.4L #001, 14psi Whipple and a few other mods. 640 rwhp, 610 tq. CA Smog legal

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cayman150 View Post
    There was a Whipple complete to the air filter for $2k on the LR site.
    Get the Whipple!

Then Pulley, Plugs, Tune, FTVB

Get the Pulley, Plugs and FTVB from Madferraristi

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Don't spend a dime!!!!!

Trust me on this...you will add bolt on here, bolt on there, lil power here, lil power there and it won't be enought.

Save your money and just do a complete short-block build and get a 2.3 whipple to put on top. Then its all about the pully size you run and tune for the power you want to have without the worry of weak a.ss rods punching a whole in your block.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicHD View Post
    ... But it SCREAMS like a raped monkey at wot

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Check out post #4 for pics. Lot's of I want this and that but it doesn't say sold yet!

Fire Sale!!! - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com