Thread: cruise control

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cruise control

Hey everyone. I have an 02 hd150 with 105000. My cruise control works great, most of the time. Heres the deal. if its cold outside it works for quite awhile. if its hot out, it may work for 15-20 miles. it turns itself off. then you may not be able to turn it back on. maybe you can, maybe you can. kinda frustrating. is there a relay or somethin that maybe be wearin out? maybe the cruise module itself? have had the trans checked and all is good there. hopeing someone on here can point me in right direction. thanks in advance.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    was the cruise control recall done on your truck?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yes sir

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    wonderin if there is a relay or somethin that may be gettin weak

Name: asdfasfasdf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If the recall was done by installing only the jumper harness with the inline fuse then the actual flaw was never fixed. Ford added the fuse to prevent the crappy deactivation switch from burning down the truck. The switch was replaced only if it was leaking at the time of the recall. The switch takes a different plug so you would need the switch and updated plug then toss the jumper harness. My money is on the switch. If you unplug it and brake fluid is present in the connector then bingo.

Name: Frank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Try this just to make sure:

Enter self-test diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.
    Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL.
    If the ON switch is not depressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostics mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.
    The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
    NOTE: There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and the lamp flashes.

A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the static test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.
    If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:
    2 flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).
    3 flashes - deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.
    4 flashes - vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective
    Immediately (.25 second delay) after the static test, the speed control servo does a dynamic test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the throttle returns to the idle position.

try this and see if the speed control module has any codes in it.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    will try this and see what happens. thanks guys. will post what i find in couple days.
    BIG THANKS!!!

Name: Nate

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Not sure if this is just normal or not , but I noticed my cruise control is sorta "clunky" when its first activated.

When I set it ... it seems for about 2 seconds the truck goes to zero throttle, then overcompensates throttle (accellerates) for a second ... and smooths out.

Is that just how it works in our trucks? ---
    03' Black Harley F-150 #577 29k miles
    90' LPE ZR-1 Corvette #699
    01' VIPER GTS
    06' Jeep SRT8 Grand Cherokee