Thread: DD 600, 700, 800HP trucks...whats the recipe?

Name: James

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

DD 600, 700, 800HP trucks...whats the recipe?

I'm curious what drop-in packages are out there that would compliment my waiting to be installed KB2.3, 60lb injectors, 255's and BA2400 MAF. I know the stock block is limited to around 450HP, I'm not planning on going to the track, but I'd like to be able to have a daily driver that I know the HP is on tap. I'm not interested in NOS, meth, etc...just running good ol' 91 octane pump gas, regular oil and spark plug changes, no fancy transmissions and diffs...just that, a daily driver with the power on tap. I have a short commute, but I love the exhiliration of being able to merge onto a freeway, pass, etc without having some full on track truck.

I've seen mention of buying built blocks that can range in the 3-10k range, but I'd like to stay more around the 5k range...can I get away with using my current heads, etc. Just drop in a new bottom end, bolt on everything else I already have and have a turnkey truck. I'm sure there are some people on here that are within that power range, and it's gotta be possible...maybe some extra bolt ons like a Killer Chiller and/or larger intercooler at most, but remember, this will still see the highway and on-ramps 99% of the time in Seattle weather, so it's not like I'm driving in 100* temps regularily. I already have gotten used to 11MPG, slightly louder exhaust...I just wanna have it on tap if needed for the above formentioned moments in my day where sometimes it'll be fun knowing it's there. What prompted me is watching some TT Lamborghini videos I was watching where he was upwards of 1250HP, but staying out the turbo's is was just another car.

I'm just throwing out arbitrary numbers...I'm more or less wondering what is the most HP I should expect with the parts I have listed above, maybe buying a few more if needed, but I'm not trying to turn this into some 10-15k DD. If I can get away w/ a crate short block or maybe even have to go upwards or getting a 7k long block, then so be it...using the KB2.3, injectors, etc I listed above on plain ol pump gas.

How about this...what would be the engine setups to get considering the parts I have on hand then? As I said, the number is arbitrary really, I just figure I don't wanna vent the stock block, so what's a suggested route using the parts and SC I have to get me to it's max potential. When I bought the KB2.3, I was told repeatedly that I'd only be using it to like 50% of it's potential on a stock block, so what is the short block and/or long block engine of choice to use the KB2.3 to it's full potential?

Any suggestions before I vent my current block, which I've yet to still install the above mentioned mods?
    Last edited by m5james; 10-09-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Name: James

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    DD 600, 700, 800HP trucks...whats the recipe? - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com - in case this thread never picks up, then it'd be at least consolidated onto one forum but I get exposure from you guys here as well.
    2002 HD F150 DSG #01235

Powertrain: Unknown tune, 6lb lower running 13-15lbs, TR5IX's @ .36, BA2400 MAF, deleted precats/Magnaflow postcats, K&N filter w/ heatshield, L&S separator, rebuilt 4R100 w/ shift kit. Plans - KB2.3, BA2400, 255's, TR6IX's, new tune!
    Interior: Harley custom mats F&R, Glowshift 7 color LED boost gauge. Plans - 3M Di-NOC wrapped in graphite carbon fiber, LED conversion, sound deadener
    Exterior: Debadged, N-Dure bedcover w/ hidden snaps, Escape foglights w/ 3M film, hidden hitch w/ flipdown license plate
    Entertainment: BZ1370 deck, JL 10W3v2-D2 in rear console
    Suspension:Hellwig 7626/7621 F&R swaybars w/ Lightning Bilstein shocks

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    First thing is that turbo & supercharger are completely different things. Turbo is top end power at high RPM unless you build boost by boost-braking (while driving or sitting waiting to go) and the supercharger is instant power without having to build RPM...there is no lag for you to get into boost.

For this reason, most 600, 700, 800+ turbo cars can drive around no problem DDing and never get into boost.

Take it from someone who has a 614/644 rwhp/tq truck right now on a 93 octane tune...2.3 whipple and she idles at 400lb's of torque & hits 500lbs of torque at 1500-1800 rpm and then hits 600 at 2250 and never drops below until I get off the gas. Yes, I could DD it and stay out of boost and still get 16-18 mpg hwy but the minute I get on the gas, that's it...plus I built the truck for fun sporty driving and no matter how hard I try, I still get on it every chance I get.

If you really want to DD the truck and have some nice power to it...yes you can use the stock heads and just have them ported/polished. The cost of doing anything depends upon if you can do alot of the work yourself...the wife & I with help from a buddy put everything in when we got it back, so we paid nothing really for labor.

I say you should go with upgrading your internals, very mild cam (if any), and then the supporting mods you don't already have...mainley cooling. You can reuse your stock block, just have it reconditioned and go with a 6 or maybe an 8# lower & proper tune.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicHD View Post
    ... But it SCREAMS like a raped monkey at wot

Oki 916's Dad NHTOC #103
    Name: Slick

Liked 60 Times in 49 Posts

+1

OKI knows

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Thumbs up

If you are serious then check this out.
    Good deal, short block for $3000.

5.4 MMR1000 shortblock 3000.00 obo - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

needs more cowbell!
    Name: Sheridan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Daily driving almost the same set up as Oki and I am on E85.

It is doable.
    Yes officer... I am aware of how fast I was going!