Thread: DD 600, 700, 800HP trucks...whats the recipe?

Threaded View

Name: James

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

DD 600, 700, 800HP trucks...whats the recipe?

I'm curious what drop-in packages are out there that would compliment my waiting to be installed KB2.3, 60lb injectors, 255's and BA2400 MAF. I know the stock block is limited to around 450HP, I'm not planning on going to the track, but I'd like to be able to have a daily driver that I know the HP is on tap. I'm not interested in NOS, meth, etc...just running good ol' 91 octane pump gas, regular oil and spark plug changes, no fancy transmissions and diffs...just that, a daily driver with the power on tap. I have a short commute, but I love the exhiliration of being able to merge onto a freeway, pass, etc without having some full on track truck.

I've seen mention of buying built blocks that can range in the 3-10k range, but I'd like to stay more around the 5k range...can I get away with using my current heads, etc. Just drop in a new bottom end, bolt on everything else I already have and have a turnkey truck. I'm sure there are some people on here that are within that power range, and it's gotta be possible...maybe some extra bolt ons like a Killer Chiller and/or larger intercooler at most, but remember, this will still see the highway and on-ramps 99% of the time in Seattle weather, so it's not like I'm driving in 100* temps regularily. I already have gotten used to 11MPG, slightly louder exhaust...I just wanna have it on tap if needed for the above formentioned moments in my day where sometimes it'll be fun knowing it's there. What prompted me is watching some TT Lamborghini videos I was watching where he was upwards of 1250HP, but staying out the turbo's is was just another car.

I'm just throwing out arbitrary numbers...I'm more or less wondering what is the most HP I should expect with the parts I have listed above, maybe buying a few more if needed, but I'm not trying to turn this into some 10-15k DD. If I can get away w/ a crate short block or maybe even have to go upwards or getting a 7k long block, then so be it...using the KB2.3, injectors, etc I listed above on plain ol pump gas.

How about this...what would be the engine setups to get considering the parts I have on hand then? As I said, the number is arbitrary really, I just figure I don't wanna vent the stock block, so what's a suggested route using the parts and SC I have to get me to it's max potential. When I bought the KB2.3, I was told repeatedly that I'd only be using it to like 50% of it's potential on a stock block, so what is the short block and/or long block engine of choice to use the KB2.3 to it's full potential?

Any suggestions before I vent my current block, which I've yet to still install the above mentioned mods?
    Last edited by m5james; 10-09-2012 at 07:12 PM.