Thread: transmission question

Name: Paul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

transmission question

Okay this may be stupid but it just came to me today. I tow my atvs a lot with the HD and I can't stand the mpgs I get. I can deal with it when not towing because I can get into it and have fun but I don't dare get into it with a couple tons behind me. So today I got to wondering if its possible or ever been done to have someone put a different 4th gear in the tranny. I mean we aren't supposed to WOT in 4th anyway and if you race your usually only in 1st thru 3rd or at least I am. So is it possible to have a new 4th put in where I'm at like 1500rpm at 70mph rather than 2100 or whatever. Not solid on the numbers but you get my point. That way your still fast 1st thru 3rd and can still get great highway mpg. The best of both worlds. Anyone know?

"I WANNA GO FAST"
    Name: Ajay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No, I don't know, but you could always put in a smaller rear end gear...

2002 DSG Nicknamed "Haley the Harley Truck"
    2013 TOTM Moderator

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    Easiest thing to do would be to install a gear vendors overdrive unit, diesel guys do it all the time...

Typos from my iPhone using Tapatalk while po0ping.
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK