Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: engine missing were to start?

Name: dustin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

engine missing were to start?

so here's my story I bought a 02 hd about 2-3 weeks ago ran great, super clean, 94,000 miles. the guy claims it was always serviced at the dealership. I've put about 1500 miles on it. Yesterday I drove about 75-80 miles made sevral stops and got gas the truck ran great I wasn't hard on it or any thing. It was pretty hot olmost 100. When I pulled up into my drive way and and put the truck in park and it started to miss and the idle slowly went down to the 400-500 range I didn't hear any back fires anything I tried to rev it up a little bit and it took more gas than usual to rev it up. I didn't give it that much gas enugh to bring it up to about 1200 -1500 rpm and it was misfiring pretty bad. so I shut the truck off and pop the hood and look around for any vacuum lines off or anything funny going on, the only thing I saw was the hose going to the idle air control valve was a little loose and had some oil residue on it. I did not really think this is normal so I put a zip tie around it to tighten the rubber 90*. I thought maybe somehow that's what was making a run like crap and I fired it backup and It did the same thing but I had to give it a verry small amount of throttle for a second after fireing to keep it running. So I get my fuel pressure gage from my work and it had 35 psi with key on truck off and same at idle but today the truck runs great no missing at all. I let the truck warm up fully then drove in about 10 miles and restarted it twice and it was fine. Were do u guys think I shuld start? I was thinking change the fuel filter. my driveway is pretty bumpy you get a side to side action. Any help is appreciated thanks.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    check and make sure the IC PUmp is running...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How do I do that? And the sc did feel pretty hot I could berly touch the iac valve idk if that is normal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    start the truck, let it get up to temp, open hood, open IC Reservoir cap and look in side and see if the fluid is circulating

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok its cool to open it after the truck is up to temp it won't spew out like a radiator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    no, if your ic fluid temps are 200+ then you got a serious issue LOL

the ic system is seperate from the engine coolant system...hence two different reservoirs....

the IC system cools the incoming aircharge down...its not cooling an engine block

"I WANNA GO FAST"
    Name: Ajay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bgstew6 View Post
    no, if your ic fluid temps are 200+ then you got a serious issue LOL

the ic system is seperate from the engine coolant system...hence two different reservoirs....

the IC system cools the incoming aircharge down...its not cooling an engine block
    What he is trying to say is that it is okay to open it lol look for bubbles and fluid flowing through the reservoir, if it is stagnant, you need a new Intercooler pump

2002 DSG Nicknamed "Haley the Harley Truck"
    2013 TOTM Moderator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    so I just ran the truck I let it idle and get up to temperature then I went for about a 5 to 10 mile drive
    The ic pump was running every time I looked at it and I watched it warm up. Looks like it has good circulation.. I can see it thru the passenger side of the resi too

They say im RETARDED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    your stumble or miss firing sounds like one of a cupple things
    possible did you just wash your truck in the engine bay? could of got some water round the plug and causing it to miss fire

2 check all your COP plugs to the coils possible one could have a busted plastic locking clip and could just be slid in there insead of actually locking into place. causing a poor connection which in turn cause it to missfire.

3 do the same with your injector plugs these how ever dont have the BS black click that break all the dang time.

but my money is that you have a clip for one of your COP. (Coil on Plug)

and when was last time the plugs where changed?
    [SIZE="5"]INTERNALY STOCK 5.4LSIZE]

When LIGHTNING strikes, the HEARTBEAT stops.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have no clue on when the plugs were changed last the papers he gave me from from the dealership he went 2 don't go into detail on what was done. Just say reutine maintce done I am going to put a Pully, cai, tb and get a custom tune soon so I was gona do the plugs then

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    and I didn't wash the engine bay

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    If you have a handheld tuner that plugs into the ODB II port, check for any codes. If you don't have one maybe a local auto parts store like Discount Auto, O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, etc. will read them for free for you without having to go to the dealer and pay a fortune.

Once you find out let us know and we can guide you some more or you can search on here for that code and see what someone else did to fix that problem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    well there's no check engine light on but I'm going to use my brother's code reader to check for codes stored. I'll post what I find

They say im RETARDED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ill put money on the COPS and or COP conectors and PLUGS

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    pull the plugs
    01 hd with a s/c swap, built motor, ported heads, stage 3 cams, whipple 3.4 s/c 4 upper and 4 lower for the street, 3.5 upper and 6 lower when i want to get nasty. wms big inlet and cai, whipple 160 sbtb, punisher built trans, circle d 2400 stall, trick stage 3 i/c, lfp dual pass h/e, triple 255 fps in a fore hat, -10 feed and -6 return, aeromotive reg., jlp rails, 80# inj., ba3000 maf, sct x-cal3, jlp comp r, detroit tru-trac, ta rear diff cover, 4.10 gears, jlp traction bars, metco idler pullies, mp tensioner bridge, hotchkis tvs, plenty of bling and soon to come new mods

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast