Thread: How To install door LED Courtesy Lights

Threaded View

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts

How To install door LED Courtesy Lights

I'll start the first post with the condensed version of items (Pics to come)
    I'm not going to go into ad nauseam on how to remove & mount door panels

Things learned

A little dremel was needed to make the light angle straight
    The front door bottom plastic is double walled and requires
    a little inside and outside the hole shaping to mount straight.

Front door
    Remove door Panel and lay on table face down
    Light fits inside in between the bottom pockets
    Position light and mark plastic door panel with awl.
    Check fitment inside the small pocket and outside on height.
    Mark with awl. Drill in center of plastic door between pockets
    I cut away the door insulation where the lights mount for heat.
    (easily done with scissors)

Rear door
    Remove door panel and lay on table face down. As above check vertical and hrizontal center.
    You can place the light at the outside end of the door or towards the center in front of the pocket
    Neither one is the "perfect" the exact same distance out. I choose the outside end of the rear door.
    Again, I took a pair of scissors and cut away the insulation on the door where the light is mounted.
    Also as above you may need to do a little arts and crafts with a dremel to make the hole straight.

For both the front and back doors the retainer ring just barely caught and the set screw was in the back.
    Be sure the light is 90 degrees to the truck body then a little loctite blue or a glue gun will hold the ring in place.
    I actually had one light that I could use the set screw with. All of the others had the set screw in the back.

Wiring
    There a a couple of different types of wire that can be used but in my case I used speaker wire.
    Why? It is flexible and that makes it easy to work with and it already comes as a connected pair.
    (It helps that one side has a white line so you can find positive)

The back doors do not have power. Wires need to be pulled for the back door lights
    This was not as complicated or difficult as I had expected but it did take a little time.
    With the front and rear door panels removed, remove the inside center door pillar cover.
    Then remove the front interior step plate. From the back door go through the boot & down the pillar.
    Pull the wire forward through the front floor sill and come into the front door through the front boot.
    This way power for the front and rear doors can be connected together inside the front door.

Installing the multi-function remote control
    This added an additional wiring twist. All four door wires need to come together in one place.
    This is the passengers kick panel. Connector C212. 16 pin connector. Pin 6. Black with Light Blue tracer.
    I connected the two drivers side doors together and then ran one wire from the left side to the kick panel.
    Then the connected the two pairs of wires from the right two doors to the one pair from the left doors.
    With the front door panels removed I glued speaker cloth over the inside of the doors to blacken it out.
    On the right passenger door I ran a wire from the kick panel into the door and another pair back to C212.
    This is my connection to the multi-function remote control. The remote is a very small receiver.
    I connected the remote to the right hand metal door panel to the right of where the speaker mounts.
    This allows me to use the remote by simply pointing at the inside of the passenger door.
    The speaker cloth covers both the the door speaker and the remote receiver module.

As I stated in my first sentence I will post install pics soon

But for now...here is the finished results! (click on pic below) ENJOY!

Last edited by Merlin; 07-14-2017 at 01:55 PM.