Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Two Bucket Washing Method

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts

The Two Bucket Washing Method

How To Wash Your Truck - Detailing 101

You've spent good money on your truck, now the question arises, “How do I take care of it?” Proper washing is one of the most overlooked and misunderstood areas and sadly improper washing damages and dulls your vehicle's finish.

If you look at the vehicles in the parking lot around you in direct sunlight you will notice many of the vehicles have a scratched surface. These microscopic scratches seem to radiate outward in a “spider-web” effect from a central light source like the reflection of the sun. Many of the swirl marks are the result of improper washing and drying techniques. They are caused when grit is abraded against the paint's surface.

Much has been written on how to properly maintain a vehicles appearance and while most of these tips certainly aren't new, perhaps they may help you think about things in a different light.

Vehicle enthusiasts range from those who religiously wash or quick detail their vehicles daily, to those who love caring for their vehicle but only get the chance to wash them weekly or bi-weekly. Both categories of enthusiasts cringe at the very thought of taking their car or truck to a car wash, AKA "tunnel-o-swirls". Here are some ideas and tips that will help you maintain your vehicles appearance and teach you ways to avoid, or at least minimize creating swirl marks.

Car Wash Shampoo

Car wash shampoos have come a long way since their introduction and they are still evolving. There was a time when we all just grabbed dish washing soap but those days are long gone. Dish washing soap is designed to eat away grease and food! The same attributes that break down the grease on dishes will strip your car wax and dry out your plastic moldings and rubber seals!

Some of the factors that establish a great car wash shampoo are foaming ability, lubricity, pH balance, concentration, gentleness and even gloss enhancers. High quality car wash shampoos will clean a car’s surface, enhance the gloss and leave the car wax or paint sealant intact to protect your paint. Generic car wash shampoos lack many of the attributes of the higher quality car wash shampoos. You will also find that the cost of the bottle of car wash shampoo does not necessarily mean it is less expensive. The high end car wash shampoos tend to cost more per ounce but they are also more concentrated so if you do the math, you may find that you are actually getting a better deal with a premium car wash shampoo.

If you are not sure which shampoo will work best for you it is often advisable to stick with the same brand that your car wax or sealant is. If your paint is protected with Zaino Z-2 then use Z-7 Show Car Wash. If your paint is protected with Blackfire Wet Diamond then the BFWD Conditioning Shampoo is a good choice.

Car Wash Mitts

Wash mitts can be microfiber style (both short nap and the longer fuzzy monster looking type), sponges, synthetic and genuine sheepskin. The Sheepskin Wash Mitt is a great choice: They are soft, hold lots of water and car wash shampoo and they rinse cleanly. Natural Sea Sponges are some of the softest material known to man and hold a large volume of water and soap solution. You want to avoid shop rags, old t-shirts, and beach towels as the nap, or thickness of these items is so small that you can easily exert too much force onto the wash surface and inadvertently push surface dirt around instilling “washing swirls.” Also, these wash “rags” do not release trapped dirt as easily. The thicker mitts offer room for dirt to hide that is away from your car until your mitt is rinsed.

Car Wash Buckets

I recommend two (or even three if you want a separate bucket for the wheels) white 5 gallon buckets for swirl free washing, one of the greatest ideas to come along is the two bucket method of car washing. As the name implies you use two separate buckets to wash your car. One bucket holds the soapy car wash solution and the other holds clean, clear rinse water so you can rinse your mitt after each pass over your car. This keeps those dirt particles you just picked up on the surface from going back into the clean car wash solution and being picked up again by the wash mitt.

This brings us to the next topic….Grit Guard® Inserts. If you aren't using them…you should be!!! The Grit Guard® Inserts are a round plastic insert grate that sits on the bottom of your bucket suspended from the bottom by four lateral fins. Dirt from your wash mitt drops to the bottom of the bucket and is kept at the bottom of the bucket, ensuring that your wash mitt doesn't pick up the dirt you just washed off of the car. When you finish washing your car and lift the Grit Guard® Insert up and you will see how well it works. The Grit Guard® Insert should be used in both the wash and rinse buckets for optimum protection against instilling swirl marks.

Hose Nozzles

Yes, even your hose nozzle is an important part of your car wash procedure. There is nothing like trying to wash your car with an inadequate or leaky hose nozzle. I like a High Flow Fireman's Nozzle. It offers a wide range of spray patterns as well as the very important open flow. The open flow option is especially important when rinsing your car to get the water to sheet off instead of beading up which will cut down on drying time and the possibility of water spots.

Drying Towels

Microfiber waffle weave drying towels are very soft, safe and effective. The waffle weave act like little pockets and absorb tons of water and when used properly used are extremely gentle on your vehicles surface. It generally takes only two towels to dry vehicle to ensure a spot and streak free finish. The first towel picks up the majority of water and the second towel picks up any residual moisture ensuring a streak free finish. Another benefit is that you just wash them with my other microfiber detailing towels so that each time you go to wash your car your microfiber drying towel is clean and fresh with no chance of dirt from the last car wash. Keep in mind that just like other products, there is a difference in quality when it comes to microfiber drying towels, they are not all the same so be sure to use only high quality.

Now that we’ve discussed the tools for the job, lets just give you a rundown of how to wash your car in a manner that gets it clean and reduces the chances of your putting swirls into the paint.

• Always wash your car in the shade! This will keep your car wash shampoo solution from drying on the car before it is rinsed off. If at all possible, it is best to wash your car on a relatively calm day as even a slight breeze can put particles of dirt in the air. These dust particles are attracted to the wash/rinse water on your vehicle and act like sandpaper when rubbed between the drying towel and vehicle surface. The breeze will also tend to dry your car for you and this can cause streaks and water spots.

• Use two buckets with a Grit Guard® Insert in each bucket. One is for your shampoo solution and the other is clean rinse water for your wash mitt.

• Fill a 5-gallon bucket 2/3 full with cool water. Add recommended amount of shampoo to the water. Using a stiff jet of water, fill the bucket to fully activate suds. Fill the second bucket with clean, water for rinsing your wash mitt.

• Thoroughly rinse the vehicle’s surface to remove the loose dirt and grime before you begin your car wash procedure.

• Only use high quality car shampoos and wash mitts.

• When washing your vehicle remember to always go from high to low, never the opposite. Generally the dirtiest parts of your vehicle are those parts closest to the ground. Wheel wells, rocker panels and bumpers tend to have the largest accumulation of grime and you don’t want to bring that junk back onto the paint surface and risk scratching it.

• Load up your wash mitt with your car wash solution and wring it out over the wash surface. This acts like a “pre-soak” and helps loosen surface gunk. It also adds more sudsy water to the surface more lubricity to help safely wash the grime away without scratching.

• Keep your wash areas small and rinse your wash mitt frequently in the second clear rinse water bucket.

• Wash in straight, overlapping lines as opposed to circles and remember to be gentle with the wash mitt on the first pass. This first pass will pick up the majority of the dirt, and loosens the remaining dirt for pick up on the second pass.

• Rinse your vehicle by opening up your hose to the open flow setting or by removing the nozzle Let the water run or sheet over the surface instead of spraying. This helps in two ways. First, generally when water has “sheeted” off of a surface it tends to leave less residual droplets behind. This means less to drying time. Second, since there is less water to pick up, there is less chance of you leaving water behind to “spot” the vehicle.

• When you dry your car, use only high quality microfiber waffle weave drying towels and wring out often. Gently dry the surface without much pressure. You don’t need to rub the surface…you’re just picking up the bulk of the water! Once you have picked up the bulk of the water, and the first towel is saturated, use the second towel to lightly pick up any remaining streaks or droplets.

• Lastly, if your wax or sealant is still in good shape, go over the vehicle with a quick detail spray and a plush Microfiber Buffing Towel to restore a radiance and slickness to the paint. This last step will give your vehicle that “just detailed” look by enhancing gloss and will also remove any missed drips, water spots or streaks that showed up when you weren't looking.

Keep in mind the above is a maintenance wash, not a detail prep wash (MUCH more in-depth) this will help keep your vehicle clean and virtually scratch free between details. Feel free to ask any questions!
    Last edited by Merlin; 07-14-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    I add one additional step to this, I invested in an electric 200mph leaf blower that I use to do the initial drying of my cars. It really helps! I have 5 cars so before this there was no way I could wash all 5 in a couple hours, now it's no problem and I only need to use 1 large waffle weave MF drying towel that I mainly use on the glass and chrome of the cars. The biggest advantage to the leaf blower for drying is getting water out of all the nooks and crannies in the jams and any badges so they don't continue to drip.

12 amp Handheld Electric Blower/Vac : Get the powerful blower at Sears

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    I agree with Blind, but I use this Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum SK-1 Air Force Blaster Sidekick Compact & Portable Motorcycle Dryer: Home Improvement I used to use a leaf blower, but the size of the little motorcycle dryer is much easier to handle. And the air comes out heated, which helps drying.

Agreed after washing and the sheeting rinse I dry from the top down. A leaf blower works but may pick up dirt in the air and propel it to your paint.
    It is recommended (if you can afford it) to use something like a Metro Full Size Vac N' Blo 4.0 HP Vacuum. It has an intake filter to insure clean air.

Mobbin around the NW

The small one I posted has a filter as well. On the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by SonicHD View Post
    The small one I posted has a filter as well. On the bottom
    Yepper, I believe all the Metro dryers have filters and to my understanding they are Made in USA

Word

The Two Bucket Washing Method

Mine has a filter also, but I can't imagine it blowing anything harmful from the air even without one unless you were washing your car in a dust storm.
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Great stuff. My Wet-Vac has a removable top portion that is a blower. I like the long tube extension so I can reach over the top of the truck and also get the entire cowl area with all it's ridges.

BTW... do you just use a step ladder or what do you all use to get high enough to wash the center of the roof with the wash mitt?
    I have a hard tonneau so I can't climb up in the bed.

Another member of the BOC
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I also use the shop vac blower port and has a filter as well. The two bucket system has worked wonders for me and best part is no spider web scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by cayman150 View Post
    BTW... do you just use a step ladder or what do you all use to get high enough to wash the center of the roof with the wash mitt?
    I have a hard tonneau so I can't climb up in the bed.
    If you can't reach it you know I can't!

Werner AP-20

It's solid, light, folds up small and it works for me.

Mobbin around the NW

I just use a 2' aluminum step ladder. With my ladder I have to wash the area over the rear door, then move it over to the front door. I like Merlins better though, I think Im gonna go get one of those! No more moving of the ladder

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    If you can't reach it you know I can't!

Werner AP-20

It's solid, light, folds up small and it works for me.
    LOL!.... I forgot about your helper!

I need to get something like that so I don't lean all over the truck when I clay bar and polish the top too.

Another member of the BOC
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Where can we get one of these? Home Depot? Lowes?

Quote Originally Posted by greyhd View Post
    Where can we get one of these? Home Depot? Lowes?
    Yes

Word

hmph, I just reach up and can get past half way from either side of the truck

(but I am 6'5", haha)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast