Thread: Tuner

shaun
    Name: shaun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tuner

So, it seems to me everyone uses SCT on their trucks. My buddy has a Roush mustang and he uses it, my dad has a roush f-150 and he has them, is this because they are ford friendly, or just the best? I am looking to get one, but being as i have a warranty, i cant load a tune, can i still use it to monitor stuff? or will the act of just plugging it in void the warranty?

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    Choos the brand your tuner likes. I personally have a Diablo Predator. You could tell a performance difference with the built-in Diablo Predator 93 octane performance tune.
    If it were me...I'd load the out-of-the-box performance tune. If you need to take it to the $tealership load the stock tune back in before you take it in...but hey that's me.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    You can use any brand of them that are made for your year truck and engine. SCT and Diablo were the most popular for the Lightnings and SC'd HD's. There are a few more brands that have come along since and some that are made for the newer engines too.

If you are ever going to put in on a dyno or get a custom tune then it's preferable to liaise with your local tuner and find out what they tune with and purchase that brand tuner. Otherwise you may have to sell one brand and get what ever brand they prefer to tune with.

They all do basically the same thing but the tuners who are dealers get training on one brand and get real familar with the software and support of that brand it's usually easier for them to stick with one.

I agree with Merlin. Just to get your feet wet, purchase one and load the 93 octane tune in it. If you ever have to take it in to the dealer then you can just put the stock tune back in. It only takes 5-10 minutes. There's other stuff you can do like data logging and changing the speedo ratio to accurately match for larger rims or tires, etc.

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

32V SC 5.4L #001
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    IMO, the SCT is the best but it will depend on who you use to tune your truck, many can work with either.

Any Flash tool can return your truck to the stock tune any time you need it. However, keep in mind that if you reinstall the stock tune file, you MUST put the boost back to stock in case they take it out for a test drive and go WOT.

Mike

************************CLICK TO VISIT MAD'S SITE************************

'02, 32V, 5.4L #001, 14psi Whipple and a few other mods. 640 rwhp, 610 tq. CA Smog legal

shaun
    Name: shaun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So, the dealership can't test and see if I tuned nit? As long as I reload the factory tune, I am new to this, so don't want to spend the money on a nice tuner then find out if anything goes wrong I can't talked it back to ford