Thread: Coolant resevoirs

'02 F-150 Build 2193
    Name: Marc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Coolant resevoirs

So, I'm inside the hood doing the L&S oil separator install and started looking around. I notice that there seem to be coolant holders in the truck. There's a big one just left of center and there's a smaller on located on the right side of the truck. According to my owners manual the one on the right is the main coolant resevoir and the one just left of center is the intercooler resevoir.

That seems a bit backwards to me as the one on the right is much smaller than the one on the left. Feedback? Also, noticed the the one on the far right has no coolant at all in it while the big one just left of center is full. Should there be coolant in the smaller resevoir to the right of the radiator?

Thanks!

Marc

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    That's correct, the smaller one on the right is for the main coolant, but its just an overflow tank. All the coolant is in the system. You want that tank to be about 1/2 full. To make sure your not low for one, (if its empty, your probably low) and so there's room for the coolant to go if you get a bit hot.

The one left of center attached to the radiator shroud is the intercooler tank. This tank needs to be pretty much full, maybe 1" below top. The water in that system wont get hot enough to need to expand. And since that system doesn't hold a whole lot of water, you want it fuller so there is more fluid to cycle through the IC system.

'02 F-150 Build 2193
    Name: Marc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I learn new stuff about this beast each and every day.. Thanks Sonic